Jump to content

Do you think the Nebraska job is a Rebuild or they can win now


Recommended Posts


1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don’t see that talent that people keep on referencing. There is some talent at the skill positions, but not nearly enough depth.  The defense has very few playmakers (if any).

 

Our talent level is middle of the pack in the West, but the good thing is that the top isn’t that far ahead. I am not talking about recruiter talent, I’m talking about the talent I see on the field every game.

 

I think this team is closer to a rebuild, than a win quickly rebuild. The good part, is that a turnaround may be available with the transfer portal, but the long rebuild needs to be completed on both lines. 

Disagree. 

Link to comment
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Disagree. 

Besides giving me recruiting rankings tell me the players who you think are great talents?  I will give you Grant, Palmer, Washington, and Thompson. Maybe throw in Ajay Allen and Marcus Buford.  6 guys, with 2 of them could be gone after this year isn’t a great base for a rebuild. 

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment

IMO, a good coach could win immediately. There are some dudes on this team. They need coached, and put into a position to have success. The most glaring problem, aside from the product on the field, is the losing mentality. The culture of losing. Correct that, and onward you go. This team has more talent than anyone in the west, better than Michigan State as well. It just looks bad because the team had been poorly coached. A really good coach could win now. No rebuild. Fill in the pieces. This is a 9-10 win roster with 4 win coaches. 

  • Oh Yeah! 1
Link to comment

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Besides giving me recruiting rankings tell me the players who you think are great talents?  I will give you Grant, Palmer, Washington, and Thompson. Maybe throw in Ajay Allen and Marcus Buford.  6 guys, with 2 of them could be gone after this year isn’t a great base for a rebuild. 

I think our starting O line has the talent to compete for west championships. 
 

I didn’t say we were going to win the conference or playoff games. I simply said we have the talent to compete and win a west championship. 
 

the D line is lighter in talent. But, there’s enough talent there for the front seven to be playing much better. Rewatching them, you will see that many of the breakdowns are players not doing the right thing. Such as an LB filling the wrong hole. That doesn’t mean that player doesn’t have talent to fill the hole. He just filled the wrong one. 

  • Oh Yeah! 1
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Besides giving me recruiting rankings tell me the players who you think are great talents?  I will give you Grant, Palmer, Washington, and Thompson. Maybe throw in Ajay Allen and Marcus Buford.  6 guys, with 2 of them could be gone after this year isn’t a great base for a rebuild. 

Who knows if they leave or not the fact is they are still on the team so you take that for face value. You can't assume they leave until that time happens and they are gone.

Link to comment
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I think our starting O line has the talent to compete for west championships. 
 

I didn’t say we were going to win the conference or playoff games. I simply said we have the talent to compete and win a west championship. 
 

the D line is lighter in talent. But, there’s enough talent there for the front seven to be playing much better. Rewatching them, you will see that many of the breakdowns are players not doing the right thing. Such as an LB filling the wrong hole. That doesn’t mean that player doesn’t have talent to fill the hole. He just filled the wrong one. 

Your analysis of the o-line is much different than mine. Other than Prochazka, I see a lot of below average players. I see too many guys on the front 6-7 getting pushed around to consider them talented. 
 

Sam McKewon made a good point in his OWH article today. The roster is built with long and fast players, but he doesn’t see any freak athletes with strength and fast twitch. That’s the type of talent that is missing. 

  • Plus1 3
Link to comment

I've seen what a good coach can do in one year with a position group in the RB and WR room.  Beckton has continued to develop TE's....New DC/DL/LB/OL/SC coach and the guys we have look exponentially better.  ST has improved play.  The FG Sat was a good distance for any kicker so I don't put that on ST's like the previous 4 seasons.  The previous offensive staff gave us no RB, no back up QB, no QB game plan but run AM.  Looked a lot like NU w/J Lo ie J Lo left, J Lo right (he was and is one of my all time fave Huskers).   ILB's still bite on every PA, run to the wrong gap, or run themselves out of a play.  DL needs to simplify the remaining games.  First step man on man and get up field.  DE's need to set the edge.  We are bad at the basics because of lack of accountability  And send pressure every down.  Make the O earn a 3rd and short.  Not the other way around.  

 

We are good enough to easily go 6-6/7-5 with the kids on the roster and coaching.  We have been sorely lacking in the developmental stage of football under Frost with his staff.  And we are paying the price now with 5 year guys who are no better than when they arrived on campus save being "bigger and stronger", but not quicker or more explosive....

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, lo country said:

I've seen what a good coach can do in one year with a position group in the RB and WR room.  Beckton has continued to develop TE's....New DC/DL/LB/OL/SC coach and the guys we have look exponentially better.  ST has improved play.  The FG Sat was a good distance for any kicker so I don't put that on ST's like the previous 4 seasons.  The previous offensive staff gave us no RB, no back up QB, no QB game plan but run AM.  Looked a lot like NU w/J Lo ie J Lo left, J Lo right (he was and is one of my all time fave Huskers).   ILB's still bite on every PA, run to the wrong gap, or run themselves out of a play.  DL needs to simplify the remaining games.  First step man on man and get up field.  DE's need to set the edge.  We are bad at the basics because of lack of accountability  And send pressure every down.  Make the O earn a 3rd and short.  Not the other way around.  

 

We are good enough to easily go 6-6/7-5 with the kids on the roster and coaching.  We have been sorely lacking in the developmental stage of football under Frost with his staff.  And we are paying the price now with 5 year guys who are no better than when they arrived on campus save being "bigger and stronger", but not quicker or more explosive....

I agree that good coaching and improved development should be able to take NU from 3-9/4-8 to 6-6/7-5. However, the roster is a ways away from getting to the 9-3/10-2 level. That’s rebuilding the program.

 

Maybe the West is so bad that an 8-4 year would win the division in weird years, but most years the record will have to be better than that. 

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Bigred_inSD said:

Win now.  Especially with the tranfer portal. 

 

You don't even need a big name hire, look at Michigan State.

 

 

Michigan State is a weird example. I get what you are saying, but they were a fluke team to be 10-2 last year. They should have lost to NU and Michigan. It will be interesting to see if Tucker will be able to build a long-term, consistent program. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...