Do you think the Nebraska job is a Rebuild or they can win now

Just now, Crusader Husker said:

I think the right coach and we can compete in the B1G West immediately,  Problem is I keep on thinking we have the right guy.   We haven't, not sure who it is?  I think we have recruited well enough to compete in the West now.  Development and culture?  Hell to the no!!!

The issue is that NU has had so many of those "good recruits" leave the team, so what good has that recruiting done?  I agree that the development has been crap, as well, but I am amazed at how people think this roster is 2-deep full of talented players.  There is decent talent in a few spots, but the only way it's good enough to compete in the Big Ten West is that the division is "that bad".

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The issue is that NU has had so many of those "good recruits" leave the team, so what good has that recruiting done?  I agree that the development has been crap, as well, but I am amazed at how people think this roster is 2-deep full of talented players.  There is decent talent in a few spots, but the only way it's good enough to compete in the Big Ten West is that the division is "that bad".

The key I am saying is recruiting, with development and culture we can compete now.  The development is what has not allowed us to get depth.  Right coach, I think right now.  Just my opinion.  I think the with the apparent dumpster fire our program has been we have been...wait for it....."close" to winning it now.  Culture and development would have gotten us there.  Again, IMHO.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Bo Pelini, Mike Riley, and Scott Frost were all able to get 4* kids outside the midwest.

I don't know why all of a sudden a one of the coaches you list wouldn't be able to.  I mean Campbell pulled a 4* from Florida to Ames last year.

It's not that I don't think any of the coaches CAN'T DO IT but CAN THEY DO it on a consistent basis? You named all 3 of the former coaches and yes they brought in 4 stars but none of them brought in enough talent to win. Go look at the coaches they we had on those staffs and we had very average coaches. Nebraska will never out recruit Ohio State but with the right coaches we should be in the top 15. Nebraska's problem throughout the years is the high profile kids leave or never truly develop and your other kids from the class never develop as well so your left with what Nebraska results have become. Yes it is about development but also having a coaching staff that should consistently and not occasionally bring in high profile recruits to win. No offense but the Greg Austin's and the Mike Cavanaugh's as offensive line coaches won't and haven't gotten it done.  Either by not recruiting well and not developing well and look at our o-line. We have talent but imho we don't have enough talent and at the same time the development sucks bc of how bad it as been. But I just used coaches that weren't great recruiters or great developers and you can only imagine the list of others on Nebraska's coaching staff present and past.

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Our depth is actually atrocious. Sure you can patch the holes in the portal but the only way you can portal into a conference title is if you just need that last piece. HS guys are what get you there. Four-year development, four-year familiarity with scheme.

Those relationships take years to rebuild and they're pretty bad right now. last staff put a poor emphasis on it.

• Plus1 1

I'm saying now that if Mickey isn't hired then he's gone. His wife would consider it a slap in the face. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Brian Kelly pursue him after seeing what he's done for us.

I see people saying how *insert past HC name here* was able to get 4* kids to the Lincoln, and yes, they were able to, at times. The thing is, we have been settling for primarily 3* guys when instead we need to after primarily 4* with a few high 3* mixed in and occasional 5*. There are only a select few coaches who can lure that level of talent here. Unfortunately it's doubtful that we pursue/land any of them.

5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Makes these takes that Urban Meyer (or any coach) is simply going to come in a win right away pretty hollow.

I haven’t watched the game yet (I was playing golf) but the outcome isn’t surprising. NU is a VERY BAD football program right now. There is very little talent, no depth, and needs an overall attitude change.

• Plus1 1

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Why would Urban want to do a rebuild though?  He walked into a ready made roster at Ohio State and added to it. NU’s roster is a complete mess right now. 

It is, but a coach like Urban is playing with a different deck. He already would have a QB in Purdy. I'm in favor of a complete tear down, but there is no way Urban is not bringing players that would make a difference immediately.