Yahoo Sports releases Top 7 candidates

Which of these seven candidates would you prefer?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Most great coaches become great coaches by taking over bad programs. 

Elite coaches occasionally move sideways, or return to their home school, but yeah, they don't leave cushy jobs for a challenge or even the money, which we're not going to match. 

Former elite coaches who get itchy in retirement? It's possible, but that's historically a mixed bag of results. 

There are plenty of good coaches, assistants, and coordinators with something to prove, and Nebraska is the perfect place to do it. None of them will be splash hires. One might be Mickey Joseph. 

I'm surprised people are still so dazzled by the allure of a "splash hire" after how the last one worked out.

Someone like Matt Campbell or Mickey Joseph could end up being a good fit and end up running a respectable program here.

31 minutes ago, The Dude said:

And listen, nobody is kicking Carmen Electra out of bed.  Don't bulls#!t me.

Wait, have you guys all been sleeping with the previous head coaches at Nebraska and not telling me?

Well, I guess that explains why Frost and Riley always looked so confused on game days ...

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I think if we can do better we will. 

But, 

prepare yourself for the reality that we're legitimately one of the very worst P5 programs at the moment, and we're not exactly in a position to have all the elite coaches just fall at our feet.

I don't know.  We've got big bux here, so we should head to the top of the thoroughbred list.  We deserve the Jim Harborough type, not the Matt Freaking Campbell type.  And we need to stop gambling on nice guys (Mikey Riley).  Arguments can be made for how bad BD started and got better, but that is just arguments.  We honestly deserve a top-of-the-game player who wins.  Too bad about the other Riley headed out west (great first name, too).

32 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Realistic-ish 

OP. Mickey Joseph w/Vance Joseph as DC

1. Mark Stoops

2. Gary Patterson

3. Brent Vigen

4. Jim Leonard

5. Curt Cignetti

Past stoops I think this is short selling the program's desirability bit there isn't a bad coach on this list. I love Vigen and think he's next up. Would love to see someone with P5 experience but he's a fantastic coach. Harsin-lite.

Patterson might be a little dated for the NIL era (proof is there) but maybe he's learned at Texas.

8 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Past stoops I think this is short selling the program's desirability bit there isn't a bad coach on this list. I love Vigen and think he's next up. Would love to see someone with P5 experience but he's a fantastic coach. Harsin-lite.

Patterson might be a little dated for the NIL era (proof is there) but maybe he's learned at Texas.

It is going to take a ball of money for anyone with an out to try an fix this cluster. We just canned our golden child because we can't get results. Tons of pressure and not a lot of competitive advantages. We need someone with experience fixing our trenches or a defensive mind to even stay relevant in our division. 

Honestly, any power 5 coach worth poaching pretty much has a better spot in their current program (expectations) or don't have a track record worth gambling on. We either try the next up and comer, or get a proven long term winner from a lower conference/FCS level. 

1. Urban Meyer (Absolute Winner 3 National Championship)                                                        2. Bob Stoops (One National Championships)  3. Dave Aranda (Just look at Baylor success)   4. Kyle Whittingham (Model of consistency at Utah                                                                          5. Chris Peterson (Past success at 2 different programs Washington and Boise State. If you coached at Boise State and beat Oklahoma and win then that is all you need to say)

That didn't turn out right :bang

• Plus1 1

My Swing for the Fence List:

Urb Meyer (I'd like to see him come with Herman as OC and try to make us OSU's main competition)

Peterson

Kiffin  ( why would he leave the SEC - only if he thinks the road to the playoff would be easier via Nebraska)

Dave Armada  (too big of a buyout and he's in a good place now unless he wants to bail on the Big 12)

Mark Stoops (he  has Kentucky playing well. He's already in the money conference - why would he leave?

Bud Grant, Vince Lombardi, George Halas, Bob Devaney  all via Halogram

Realistic List

Bill O'Brien (having gone through the Saban rehab program, he is primed to succeed. He knows the Big 10- IF he decides he'd rather be a college coach than a NFL coach)

Chadwell 

Mike Gundy (he's had an off and on relationship wt the Ok State AD/admin. He's done a lot wt less in a state where he's playing second fiddle to big brother OU)

Jeff Monken

Herman  ( He showed promise at Texas. Texas gave up on him too soon.  But I understand that he is kind of a jerk too - so this is a reserved pick )

23 minutes ago, deedsker said:

It is going to take a ball of money for anyone with an out to try an fix this cluster. We just canned our golden child because we can't get results. Tons of pressure and not a lot of competitive advantages. We need someone with experience fixing our trenches or a defensive mind to even stay relevant in our division. 

Honestly, any power 5 coach worth poaching pretty much has a better spot in their current program (expectations) or don't have a track record worth gambling on. We either try the next up and comer, or get a proven long term winner from a lower conference/FCS level. 

Slightly disagree with you. Pressure is low and I think the expectations here are really fairly measured. Like just about anywhere, we expect you to be competitive but if we can manage a bowl game in the near-term I think everyone will be satiated to where we can provide any coach a decent leash. Hard to say that about most other programs.

We've also got better periphery than most places. Facilities, AD, NIL, are all on par or better than the rest of the big ten west and big 12 schools in our radius until you hit Ohio, Oklahoma, Utah, or Arkansas. This is a great opportunity for almost any coach unless you're already in a great spot with those things and have a better spigot of talent.

54 minutes ago, Hagg said:

I don't know.  We've got big bux here, so we should head to the top of the thoroughbred list.  We deserve the Jim Harborough type, not the Matt Freaking Campbell type.  And we need to stop gambling on nice guys (Mikey Riley).  Arguments can be made for how bad BD started and got better, but that is just arguments.  We honestly deserve a top-of-the-game player who wins.  Too bad about the other Riley headed out west (great first name, too).

As fans, we don't deserve anything.   The players deserve a chance to be successful.  Maybe Campbell gives them that shot, maybe he doesn't.   Neither one of us really know.  Frost was the Jim Harbaugh type.

• Haha 1