Yahoo Sports releases Top 7 candidates

Which of these seven candidates would you prefer?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, deedsker said:

Realistic-ish 

OP. Mickey Joseph w/Vance Joseph as DC

1. Mark Stoops

2. Gary Patterson

3. Brent Vigen

4. Jim Leonard

5. Curt Cignetti

If Joseph shows significant improvement then I choose Joseph but Nebraska needs to be willing to pay top dollar for a DC. I am not sure if his brother would come or not but that would be really interesting. 

1. Matt Campbell - I believe his style can win games in the Big10. Good lines, solid fundamentals, and develops players to be better.

2. Urban Meyer - Will immediately bring a winning mentality, but could end in a dumpster fire like Jacksonville...

3. Bill O'Brien - Solid coach. Would probably leave for the NFL or a better job before he finishes his contract.

4. Chris Klieman - Same as Campbell, but with less of a track record. 

5. Mark Stoops - Can recruit and build a team. Just don't know if he would leave Kentucky for more pressure from a football school.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

I'm surprised people are still so dazzled by the allure of a "splash hire" after how the last one worked out.

Someone like Matt Campbell or Mickey Joseph could end up being a good fit and end up running a respectable program here.

x1000

I'm too lazy to do it, but it'd be interesting to see how the "splash" hires have done over the last decade. My guess is they've done well where the recruiting was already good, and bad everywhere else with a few outliers - the same as the non-"splash" hire coaches.

I don't think anyone really has any expertise in hiring successful coaches - it's mostly a matter of luck. But here's my wildass guesses at who I think is most likely to be hired and not necessarily who I want:

1. Matt Campbell
  2. Mickey Joseph
  3. Garry Patterson
  4. Jamey Chadwell
  5. Lance Leipold
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Chadwell 

Mike Gundy (he's had an off and on relationship wt the Ok State AD/admin. He's done a lot wt less in a state where he's playing second fiddle to big brother OU)

Jeff  Todd Monken

Herman  ( He showed promise at Texas. Texas gave up on him too soon.  But I understand that he is kind of a jerk too - so this is a reserved pick )

fify

12 minutes ago, Detasselingthehuskers said:

1. Matt Campbell - I believe his style can win games in the Big10. Good lines, solid fundamentals, and develops players to be better.

2. Urban Meyer - Will immediately bring a winning mentality, but could end in a dumpster fire like Jacksonville...

3. Bill O'Brien - Solid coach. Would probably leave for the NFL or a better job before he finishes his contract.

4. Chris Klieman - Same as Campbell, but with less of a track record. 

5. Mark Stoops - Can recruit and build a team. Just don't know if he would leave Kentucky for more pressure from a football school.

Also, 6. Mickey Joseph - Just don't know what he can do as a head coach. Also, I don't think he wants to build a team like the one that Trev described in his press conference yesterday. Hope he can turn this around to salvage this season as much as possible.

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'd honestly love to see what Mickey could do if he stuck with Whipple as OC, and hired his brother away from the Cardinals as DC. 

That would be awesome, but I don't think any NFL DC would go back down to college. Pays better, more stability with your players, and due to the stability and the fact that it's a job for the players means your scheme can be more complex which is appealing for a lot of coaches. If he gets fired and wants to coach with his brother, maybe.

23 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

x1000

I'm too lazy to do it, but it'd be interesting to see how the "splash" hires have done over the last decade. My guess is they've done well where the recruiting was already good, and bad everywhere else with a few outliers - the same as the non-"splash" hire coaches.

Charlie Weis would be a splash hire!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Detasselingthehuskers said:

Matt Campbell - I believe his style can win games in the Big10. Good lines, solid fundamentals, and develops players to be better

Campbell is a bit meh to me.  I still don't think he got ISU over the top consistently.  Good coach but maybe ISU has greatly limited his ceiling:dunno

I don't want to go down the trail of : "But with Nebraska's resources, Campbell will be able to...."   We said that about Mike Riley as well.  Granted, Riley had an established 50/50 record and was a horrible hire based on record alone.  Campbell doesn't seem to be the highly successful coach that I think we need.  I'm not saying we need a coach who has already won a NC but I think we need a dynamic coach who has won at a high level and can inspire recruits to come to Nebraska. 

• Plus1 1

I'm with TGHusker. Campbell is a meh hire. I think he would be stable and consistent, but not win enough for everyone. He sounds more like a MR hire. IF MJ can start to turn the team around this year, keep him but definitely get a different DC. 

As much as I don't like Urban, he would probably be the top target to get back to winning. There are a few other coaches that I would give a chance before Campbell though. I like Leipold at KU, Klieman at KSU, Chadwell at CC, Stoops at UK (don't think he will leave), O'Brien has won with less (NFL makes him lower), and I like Herman (but he seems like Frost).  There are more and these are not listed in any particular order. I just want someone who will win instantly or someone who will build OL and DL so that they CAN start to win.

my two cents

• Plus1 1