Yahoo Sports releases Top 7 candidates

Which of these seven candidates would you prefer?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, rdg25 said:

yeah, I have the feeling it’ll probably be one of those five. Conservative, safe hire and none of them have had any scandals… yet

11 hours ago, Murph105 said:

I loved Trev’s comment that we don’t need to worry about nattys or the old days, we need to start doing the little things right. I think the same goes for bringing in a coach. Let’s face it, we haven’t just stumbled, we broke our legs. We need to crawl before we can walk, before we can run. Let’s focus on someone who runs a tight ship with an eye on detail and get some consistent wins.  While there are some flashy names on this list, let’s find ourselves a teacher. Who has more experience in a variety of great conferences, leagues, etc. than Bill O’Brien? Anything but that dumpster fire Urban Meyer.

That was Trevs way of setting the stage for a hire he knew no one would be excited about 

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Threw other guys I really hope we reach out to are Kyle Whittingham, Mike Gundy, & Tom Herman

Whittingham would be great. Wish we'd hired him in 2013 when he interviewed. What gives me pause there is that it seems well understood at Utah and by national journos that he's retiring within the next 2-4 years, which sucks because he's almost typecast for the job.

Gundy would be great too and I know he wants out of there. He'd bring a great staff. Honestly he's my top choice outside guys with huge price tags (Urban/Aranda)

Herman has a lot of red flags rumor-wise from his time at OSU and Texas that make me think he's not in consideration. I'd rather bring in someone who's currently coaching. Being away from the role for an extended period affects performance.

I've compiled my list a good 4-5 times.  The more I mull it over, the more my list looks like this:

1.  Mickey Joseph

2.  Mickey Joseph

3.  Mickey Joseph

4.  Mickey Joseph

5.  Mickey Joseph

Sure, do your "due diligence".  My hope will be that a former Husker QB great will bring us back to prominence ... it just wasn't "the Golden Child".  I'd be good with seeing what MJ can do over this season and the next before other options at this point.  

I like the person of MJ and think that there is more "good" within his character and coaching that is worth exploring over any other current option.

Thankfully, we get another nine games to see what he can do.  As one who thought we could finish 5-7 all of it is still out in front of us and we can actually still have our best season yet ... with Frost out.

I'm excited.  

OU was always the first game of the season and even if 3-0, I felt we wouldn't know if Scott had accomplished anything.  It was always going to be what we did with those last four games. 

So, MJ is my next coach and my guy moving forward.  In him I trust.  I'm just thankful I can now take the "K" out of Nebraska again.

• Fire 1

Oooo Mike Gundy

1 hour ago, TonkaSker said:

Whittingham would be great. Wish we'd hired him in 2013 when he interviewed. What gives me pause there is that it seems well understood at Utah and by national journos that he's retiring within the next 2-4 years, which sucks because he's almost typecast for the job.

Gundy would be great too and I know he wants out of there. He'd bring a great staff. Honestly he's my top choice outside guys with huge price tags (Urban/Aranda)

Herman has a lot of red flags rumor-wise from his time at OSU and Texas that make me think he's not in consideration. I'd rather bring in someone who's currently coaching. Being away from the role for an extended period affects performance.

Gundy is intriguing, he's done a solid job at OSU with the talent they have.  I recall reading some article that he was interested years ago in coming here.