Yahoo Sports releases Top 7 candidates

Which of these seven candidates would you prefer?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, BigRedN said:

I've compiled my list a good 4-5 times.  The more I mull it over, the more my list looks like this:

1.  Mickey Joseph

2.  Mickey Joseph

3.  Mickey Joseph

4.  Mickey Joseph

5.  Mickey Joseph

Sure, do your "due diligence".  My hope will be that a former Husker QB great will bring us back to prominence ... it just wasn't "the Golden Child".  I'd be good with seeing what MJ can do over this season and the next before other options at this point.  

I like the person of MJ and think that there is more "good" within his character and coaching that is worth exploring over any other current option.

Thankfully, we get another nine games to see what he can do.  As one who thought we could finish 5-7 all of it is still out in front of us and we can actually still have our best season yet ... with Frost out.

I'm excited.  

OU was always the first game of the season and even if 3-0, I felt we wouldn't know if Scott had accomplished anything.  It was always going to be what we did with those last four games. 

So, MJ is my next coach and my guy moving forward.  In him I trust.  I'm just thankful I can now take the "K" out of Nebraska again.

Honest question for you.  If Frost were fired last year, would you have put Mickey Joseph in your list of candidates to hire last winter?  I would love for Mickey to have a great rest of the season, but he still would bring a lot of unknowns as a head coach.  I think people wanting him as the full time coach are going off emotion.  The good thing is that Mickey will have a chance to prove himself over the next 9 games, but IMO he would need to go 6-3 or 7-2 over the rest of the season for him to be a solid hire for the full-time job.  I just don't like limiting ourselves to one candidate when we actually have a choice of 10-20 potential candidates across the country (which hasn't been true over the recent hires by NU). 

• Fire 1

16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Honest question for you.  If Frost were fired last year, would you have put Mickey Joseph in your list of candidates to hire last winter?  I would love for Mickey to have a great rest of the season, but he still would bring a lot of unknowns as a head coach.  I think people wanting him as the full time coach are going off emotion.  The good thing is that Mickey will have a chance to prove himself over the next 9 games, but IMO he would need to go 6-3 or 7-2 over the rest of the season for him to be a solid hire for the full-time job.  I just don't like limiting ourselves to one candidate when we actually have a choice of 10-20 potential candidates across the country (which hasn't been true over the recent hires by NU). 

Well if he gets 7 wins that is 7 more wins in the BIG than all the other candidates people keep throwing out there not named Meyer and others worried about coaches not being able to win in the BIG.  Unfortunately for Mickey unless he does something with Chins he's screwed.  I think the offense will continue to improve because the same guy is in charge and I've already seen some minor improvements over the first game.  Defense is... bad 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, HoustonSker said:

Gundy is intriguing, he's done a solid job at OSU with the talent they have.  I recall reading some article that he was interested years ago in coming here.

They've got decent talent, but he's as consistent as anyone. Missed bowl season once in his first year as a head coach. OK State has appeared in the AP poll every single year since 2008. His teams have never been eliminated from the conference race early.

A guy with his record shouldn't be interested but there's a ton of friction where he is. He interviewed for Tennessee recently and has made some really odd comments about T Boone Pickens in the media that indicate it. He's also gone on the record to complain about conference realignment a ton as of late, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if it weighed heavy on his decision-making. 

I am confident that he'd be able to put any program in the P5 in the 12-team playoff consistently based on his resume.

41 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I can't say that MJ would had been on my list last winter [he is now].  MJ seems to have a tough mindset and doesn't bloviate really any coachspeak as I see it.  It's a real big difference between him and Frost.  Frost was "just words".

I agree with you, MJ brings some unknowns.  For me, I'd take the "unknowns" over these next nine games and let him have a full audition, before I'd be willing to select another.  There is a reason TA brought him in with his particular title.  He now auditions to be considered.  

I don't like or agree with your view that MJ has to go 6-3 or 7-2.  That is absolutely crazy to my mind.  If Frost gets five years and to establish all his coaches and players, how is that MJ has to take all of Frost's "best" and produce twice what Frost would do?  It's crazy!  Plus, Frost has to put up with Chins and all of him and his creation.  

TA will be looking at MJ's intangibles, leadership and coaching decisions, amidst the fire he brings and the kids response.  He could very well win 4-5 games despite the "Frost Effect".  That would be amazing to me.  But to say he has to go 6-3 ?means he can only lost to OU, Michigan and one of Wisky, Minni and Iowa ... crazy.

In the end, I think TA will know what he has with Mickey in the time he needs to.  He will also be in full search mode.  FYI, I didn't say or imply "limiting ourselves to one candidate".  TA will do his full-out search for the best candidate and amidst it all he has MJ with all the full resources at MJ's disposal ... as it should be.  I feel sorry that MJ has to deal with Chins.  He probably has to keep him but there is so much he has to pinch his nose and stomach.  Chins could ruin any coach working toward being our next coach. 

I am sure he will be talking to his brother, sure would be fun to be a fly on the wall.  Maybe even folks like Suh chime in and help with something substantial.  I see "the faithful" coming in to really try to redeem and rescue :bigredn:.  This year just got very exciting.

I'll close my thought by expressing that MJ has impressed me.  So, I'm allowing him to be the possible coach who is already on staff who can be "the man".  We have a Nebraska man at the top who I will be in full support and hopeful that he will do what Frost never did.  Let's not "pass" on him unless he proves unworthy and another substantial coach surfaces.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I don't like or agree with your view that MJ has to go 6-3 or 7-2.  That is absolutely crazy to my mind.  If Frost gets five years and to establish all his coaches and players, how is that MJ has to take all of Frost's "best" and produce twice what Frost would do?  It's crazy!  Plus, Frost has to put up with Chins and all of him and his creation.  Good Point

I'll close my thought by expressing that MJ has impressed me.  So, I'm allowing him to be the possible coach who is already on staff who can be "the man".  We have a Nebraska man at the top who I will be in full support and hopeful that he will do what Frost never did.  Let's not "pass" on him unless he proves unworthy and another substantial coach surfaces.

I'm not sure what Mickey could have done at this point to impress anyone as a head coach. Recruiter, sure. I think a lot of us are hopeful and prisoners of the moment. Rightfully so, I mean this an exciting time.

Bringing Frost back just to fire him gives Mickey a great chance to provide a sample size and Trev a great chance to evaluate him. It's foolish to use his record this year to measure his success but he has a pretty high bar if he wants consideration as an actual head coach. 

• Plus1 1

32 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

I'm not sure what Mickey could have done at this point to impress anyone as a head coach. Recruiter, sure. I think a lot of us are hopeful and prisoners of the moment. Rightfully so, I mean this an exciting time.

Bringing Frost back just to fire him gives Mickey a great chance to provide a sample size and Trev a great chance to evaluate him. It's foolish to use his record this year to measure his success but he has a pretty high bar if he wants consideration as an actual head coach

... I bolded this ... as it should be. 

Yet again, the standard for MJ can't be anything higher than what Frost was under.  

So, allow me to play the devil's advocate.  There is really absolutely no reason whatsoever that Nebraska should not be 3-0.  None. 

Indulge me for a moment ... if Scott were our coach presently and we were 3-0, then went on to go 6-3 or 7-2 ... and we were 10-2 or 9-3 ... everyone in the world would say that we had our coach going forward.  

So, to then [or now] state that if MJ doesn't go 6-3 or 7-2 after taking over a 1-2 team who is horrid on D and has obvious issues in the OL, it just doesn't seem like a fair "bar" or "standard" for MJ to have to go 8-4 or 7-5 to be the coach.  If so, I'd be all ears to hear who thinks could come in today and starting on Tuesday could take this current team under these circumstances and go do that?  If Scott can get five years and contract extensions amidst such poor performance ... how is it fair to MJ [another Nebraska player/coach] to get such a strict/difficult/high bar?

That is just crazy to me.  If anyone deserves a dose of mercy and a bit of grace ... I would think it is MJ.  Scott got "grace upon grace" ... and really just wet the bed the whole time.  People actually believe there is injustice in how he was treated and let go.  Baffling.  I think I'm willing to now give MJ just a little bit of space to give it a go.

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

... I bolded this ... as it should be. 

Yet again, the standard for MJ can't be anything higher than what Frost was under.  

So, allow me to play the devil's advocate.  There is really absolutely no reason whatsoever that Nebraska should not be 3-0.  None. 

Indulge me for a moment ... if Scott were our coach presently and we were 3-0, then went on to go 6-3 or 7-2 ... and we were 10-2 or 9-3 ... everyone in the world would say that we had our coach going forward.  

So, to then [or now] state that if MJ doesn't go 6-3 or 7-2 after taking over a 1-2 team who is horrid on D and has obvious issues in the OL, it just doesn't seem like a fair "bar" or "standard" for MJ to have to go 8-4 or 7-5 to be the coach.  If so, I'd be all ears to hear who thinks could come in today and starting on Tuesday could take this current team under these circumstances and go do that?  If Scott can get five years and contract extensions amidst such poor performance ... how is it fair to MJ [another Nebraska player/coach] to get such a strict/difficult/high bar?

That is just crazy to me.  If anyone deserves a dose of mercy and a bit of grace ... I would think it is MJ.  Scott got "grace upon grace" ... and really just wet the bed the whole time.  People actually believe there is injustice in how he was treated and let go.  Baffling.  I think I'm willing to now give MJ just a little bit of space to give it a go.

The standard for Scott was high this season. He'd have been fired at the end of last year but there were significant financial considerations.

Mickey is going to get grace. He won't be fired at the end of the year for any win-loss reasons barring anything wild. He will, however, be compared to about 20 other candidates for the job, so the standard is high.