Yahoo Sports releases Top 7 candidates

Which of these seven candidates would you prefer?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’m in the Mark Stoops camp.

I don’t see much difference in him and Campbell honestly.

Stoops is the fiery nose to the grind stone back to the basics guy this program needs.

He already recruits a lot in the BIG foot print with good results.

To me both Campbell and Stoops have the same floor, but Stoops has the higher ceiling.

All of the coaches listed in the OP have some strong pluses.  I think those with negatives have greater upsides than downsides to them. 

From the Yahoo article that  listed 10 candidates (which  came up just after the OP linked article  which mentions 7 candidates  - so many articles - even Yahoo can't keep track of their own articles!)   is the quote about Campbell below.  

I am warming up on Campbell as well as Mark Stoops - who I voted for.  I think Stoops would provide more of the discipline that we need.  However, the more I read about Campbell, the more I like.  He is know as someone who develops players and as noted below is detailed oriented - 2 things our last 2 coaches  failed at.  He knows our 500 mile radius as well as the rest of the B1G.  

My unrealistic preference (thus I didn't vote for him) would be Urban Meyer (warts and all) with Herman as his OC- to try to replicate the success they had at OSU.  They would have instant national credibility with potential recruits, transfers, and draw potential high profile/successful assistant coaches. They would provide the quickest turn a round IMHO.  Herman could be named Assistant Head Coach and when Urb gets 'sick' again :B) in 4-5 years, Herman can take over.  I think he got a raw deal from Texas.   I also would not be opposed to BOB - now coming from the Belichick/Saban coaching tree.   

There is no healthier coaching tree from which to pick a coach: Bill Belichick and Nick Saban

It is time we get off of the Devaney/Osborne tree and start a totally new one.  The loss against Georgia Southern should be  the death nail in the 1990's coffin.  It needs to be buried in our history and the new coach needs to start a whole new legacy, a whole new story/history at Nebraska.  Trev spoke of this in his speech.  Time to wipe the slate clean.    This quote comes to mind:    "Blessed is He Who Expects Nothing, for He Shall Never Be Disappointed (Alexander Pope)  We Huskers have had some very tall expectations over the years and we as a result have had equally tall amounts of frustration and angst.  Time to enjoy Husker football without the heavy expectations of the 1990s on our shoulders.  Enjoy the ride, the intrigue of the coach search and most of all, enjoy watching what Mickey Joseph does with this team over the next 9 games. Who knows, maybe a whole different team shows up to play and beats OU. Wouldn't that be fun.  Forever GBR

https://sports.yahoo.com/who-will-replace-scott-frost-at-nebraska-here-are-10-candidates-180009328.html

Campbell has built Iowa State into a consistent winner. The Cyclones had just one winning season in the 10 years prior to Campbell’s arrival but have notched a winning record in five of his six seasons in Ames. That included tying a program record with nine victories in 2020. An Ohio native, Campbell is steady, detail-oriented and has a reputation for player development. That’s something Nebraska has sorely lacked in recent years. It’s unclear if Campbell would jump at the opportunity to take the Nebraska job, but he’s certainly worth pursuing.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

You mean you don't want 2-3 new threads daily about the coaching change for the next 2.5 months?

2-3? I wish it was that light.

We are going to get a new thread anytime someone tweets out a new candidate... People feel the need to create a new thread to share their thoughts when we have 100 threads already going. 

But I guess thats better than it being apathetic over here.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

We need a list megathread. Every journalist out there is going to put out a list. We don't need a new thread for each of them.

When creating a poll, it only allows you to put 15 possible answers. We have more than double that...

Urban Meyer

Troy Calhoun

Bill O’Brien

Matt Rhule

Mickey Joseph

Bob Stoops

Mark Stoops

Tom Herman

Luke Fickell

Dave Doeren

Jamey Chadwell

Todd Monken

Craig Bohl

Matt Rhule

Jeff Monken

Lane Kiffin

Jim Leonhard

Chris Petersen

Gary Patterson

Lance Leipold

Chris Klieman

Dave Clawson

Luke Fickell

Sam Pittman

Alex Grinch

Bret Bielema

Kyle Whittingham

Mike Gundy

Sam Pittman

Dave Aranda

Deion Sanders

Matt Entz

Dana Holgorsen

Pete Golding

Brent Vigen

Curt Cignetti

Shawn Clark

• Oh Yeah! 1

I want it to be Mickey, for stability and how great of a man he is, with a wealth of experience over the years, and his ties to Nebraska football.  Would make us competitive year in and year out.  

I want Urban Meyer mostly, because he would make us a Top 3 team in the conference every year, and he would.  Including beating Michigan and Ohio State at times.  Winning the whole conference would not be a stretch.

UM first choice, Mickey 2nd.  Nothing else.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I'm tossing my support behind Mickey until he proves he's fit for the job or isn't!   He's in a tuff spot and I'm rooting for him!

Yes, I think we are rooting for him.  If he doesn't get the job, the one who does would be wise to try to retain him.  Such a great recruiter and coach. 

22 minutes ago, admo said:

I want it to be Mickey, for stability and how great of a man he is, with a wealth of experience over the years, and his ties to Nebraska football.  Would make us competitive year in and year out.  

I want Urban Meyer mostly, because he would make us a Top 3 team in the conference every year, and he would.  Including beating Michigan and Ohio State at times.  Winning the whole conference would not be a stretch.

UM first choice, Mickey 2nd.  Nothing else.  

Me too knowing Urban Meyer has won 3 championships you can't say there is a better college coach then him. I would like Mickey to win the job but I think keeping EC on has defensive coordinator is going to hurt his chances alot bc I don't feel like EC is going to make a ton of improvement being back there with the safety's. That's my personal feeling on it. 

• Plus1 1