Yahoo Sports releases Top 7 candidates

Which of these seven candidates would you prefer?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 minutes ago, admo said:

I want it to be Mickey, for stability and how great of a man he is, with a wealth of experience over the years, and his ties to Nebraska football.  Would make us competitive year in and year out.  

I want Urban Meyer mostly, because he would make us a Top 3 team in the conference every year, and he would.  Including beating Michigan and Ohio State at times.  Winning the whole conference would not be a stretch.

UM first choice, Mickey 2nd.  Nothing else.  

I like Mickey and want him to succeed but everyone should be realistic here.  A wealth of experience is not a term I would use to describe him as relevant to the head coaching position at a place like Nebraska.  He has 3 years of head coaching experience at a tiny school (Langston)- and that went pretty bad.  He took over a winning program and tanked it.  His first year he went 7-3.  His next he went 6-4 and in his third he went 3-7 and was let go.  Langston had a streak of 7 winning season in a row prior to Mickey and had 6 straight winning season after Mickey.   

3 hours ago, TonkaSker said:

I'm not sure what Mickey could have done at this point to impress anyone as a head coach. Recruiter, sure. I think a lot of us are hopeful and prisoners of the moment. Rightfully so, I mean this an exciting time.

Bringing Frost back just to fire him gives Mickey a great chance to provide a sample size and Trev a great chance to evaluate him. It's foolish to use his record this year to measure his success but he has a pretty high bar if he wants consideration as an actual head coach. 

Good points.  The improvement will have to be eye opening.  Not impossible, but Trev knows we are not in any position to take a big risk here.  

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I like Mickey and want him to succeed but everyone should be realistic here.  A wealth of experience is not a term I would use to describe him as relevant to the head coaching position at a place like Nebraska.  He has 3 years of head coaching experience at a tiny school (Langston)- and that went pretty bad.  He took over a winning program and tanked it.  His first year he went 7-3.  His next he went 6-4 and in his third he went 3-7 and was let go.  Langston had a streak of 7 winning season in a row prior to Mickey and had 6 straight winning season after Mickey.   

What do you mean, "at a place LIKE NEBRASKA" ???

Son, Nebraska went 1-8 last year in conference. 

SMU and dozens and dozens of teams have played better than us over the past 5-8 years.  

Wish people wouldn't say "there is no place like nebraska" or "Nebraska... The Good Life"....  because it has bent people's perception to the fullest.

As for Mickey and anyone who has been in a job, working from bottom to top, knowing the landscape, the in's and out's, can become successful with an opportunity to be a great leader.

Basically Trev is going to pick a coach who’s already had success somewhere else.   It’s how he revitalized UNO hockey and it will keep Trev employed if said coach doesn’t work out.  Taking a risk on an unproven and having it not work out would be bad for everyone including Trev.  That being said, if MJ leads us to 6-7 more wins, then how do you not retain him?

Just my 2 cents.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, admo said:

What do you mean, "at a place LIKE NEBRASKA" ???

Son, Nebraska went 1-8 last year in conference. 

SMU and dozens and dozens of teams have played better than us over the past 5-8 years.  

Wish people wouldn't say "there is no place like nebraska" or "Nebraska... The Good Life"....  because it has bent people's perception to the fullest.

As for Mickey and anyone who has been in a job, working from bottom to top, knowing the landscape, the in's and out's, can become successful with an opportunity to be a great leader.

Well "son", the record last year has no bearing.  You know that.  There is more pressure at a place like Nebraska, period.  Now SMU, and the other dozen teams you mention, would also be drastically out of his league strictly based on his experience.  He is getting his shot and has an opportunity that most others at his level in the profession don't get without several other stepping stones.    

It's ok to feel good and have hope.  I do myself and so far I genuinely like the guy.  However, to say he has a wealth of experience is just wrong and you know that.

To date there still isn't anywhere like Nebraska.  How many stadiums would be full after a season opening loss to a bad conference team?  How many other teams would continue to fill the stadium and several seasons with losing records.      

• Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Me too knowing Urban Meyer has won 3 championships you can't say there is a better college coach then him. I would like Mickey to win the job but I think keeping EC on has defensive coordinator is going to hurt his chances alot bc I don't feel like EC is going to make a ton of improvement being back there with the safety's. That's my personal feeling on it. 

Chins is a Frost guy and he knows his days are numbered. He might just tank it the rest of the season to try to show that Frost wasn’t the problem. I’d show him the door in quick order

I appreciate your views over the years @Hilltop so I won't get into it so much.

My head will always shake when I hear "at a place like Nebraska" because I know it is a false sense of Husker lore and pride, that goes back 20-something years.  

The record does have a significant bearing.  Which is why we have a new coach.  We only won games against Buffalo, Fordham, North Dakota, and lousy NW.  

As for Mickey, his interview clearly states that he has been around a lot of head coaches over his lifetime, and has learned a thing or two from them, but, he needs to be himself.  He is from the south (oh yeah!) and has different views with the football team, how to address his guys, embrace his coaches, move forward and prepare them..... and I like that a lot. 

Pros for Mickey. Recruiting foothold in the south. Strong position coach. Ties to the university. Cons for Mickey. No identifiable success outside of being a position coach. I think his best bet is keeping the team engaged to finish the season and holding our strong recruits and come back as associate head coach. Frost didn’t have much HC experience and especially non at the P5 level and that’s not to say a coach making the jump can’t make that work but I think after everything we’ve tried since Bo we figured out all the ways the entire football umbrella was toxic from top to bottom. We need a coach who can build both lines and a history to show he can actually do it

Here's my list...my wants, has head coaching experience, good/great defenses, doesn't care about playstation numbers on offense.

1--Matt Campbell

2--Dave Aranda

3--Pat Narduzzi

4--PJ Fleck

5--Chris Klieman

Maybe not the splash hires that some vocal people want, but all 5 of these guys would consistently win, consistently have us as favorites in the West, competing for the BigTen Championship and in turn competing for the playoffs.

• Fire 1

I like Mickey. I think we all do. But, I wager Trev has him cleanly in the 'interim' category and would need to see something truly substantial to want to retain him as the HC.

It's one thing to say the right things and present yourself well in a press conference. Frost did that early on, too. It's another thing entirely to suddenly be in charge of a P5 football program, be held responsible for all the little things that go into running a successful program, hire a staff, be the face of an organization, etc., particularly when you've mostly been a position coach for the past decade. I think MJ will be given a fair shot to prove himself but I imagine he's not on TA's short list right now.

My Top 5 (in no particular order) would include Campbell, Aranda, and Meyer. The more I think about it, the more I don't really care that much about Meyer's baggage.

30 minutes ago, admo said:

I appreciate your views over the years @Hilltop so I won't get into it so much.

My head will always shake when I hear "at a place like Nebraska" because I know it is a false sense of Husker lore and pride, that goes back 20-something years.  

The record does have a significant bearing.  Which is why we have a new coach.  We only won games against Buffalo, Fordham, North Dakota, and lousy NW.  

As for Mickey, his interview clearly states that he has been around a lot of head coaches over his lifetime, and has learned a thing or two from them, but, he needs to be himself.  He is from the south (oh yeah!) and has different views with the football team, how to address his guys, embrace his coaches, move forward and prepare them..... and I like that a lot. 

I appreciate your views as well.  I realize we have flat stunk the last few years.  However, Nebraska still remains supportive to the point that the stadium has 80k+ fans every home game and news articles are written about anything and everything pertaining to the program.  People still care.  The fishbowl that places a coach in is still unique to us and a handful of other historic programs with immense fan support.  I wish him well and hope he wins the job.  If he does, it will make a heck of a story for sure.