Yahoo Sports releases Top 7 candidates

Which of these seven candidates would you prefer?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

44 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

As far as these guys at Baylor whining about us recruiting their coach, .....Art Briles is still available, they could get back the guy they stole from Houston.
We should definitely go after Aranda.

Or, we could just simply hire Art Briles.  I mean everyone seems to be so high on Urban Meyer.  Is there really that much of a difference between the two?  If former Lancaster County Attorney Gary Lacey was still alive, we could ask him if either of the two are much different than a coach who once roamed the sideline. 

14 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Or, we could just simply hire Art Briles.  I mean everyone seems to be so high on Urban Meyer.  Is there really that much of a difference between the two?  If former Lancaster County Attorney Gary Lacey was still alive, we could ask him if either of the two are much different than a coach who once roamed the sideline. 

Yes, huge difference. Briles is second only to Sandusky in terms of sleaziness. We're talking scum of the earth s#!t. Not only tolerated, but enabled an entire culture of multiple players raping women for years at Baylor. Briles was so toxic after that mess that he couldn't get a job as a janitor for any program in the country. Had a stint in Italy where they didn't know his history. A CFL team tried to hire him and the public backlash was so bad he was fired before he even started. He finally landed at a small east Texas high school town that is pretty much 100% Baptist where their mentality was that they should forgive all of his sins to win football games. Then I think he got caught cheating there too and was eventually forced to resign. That dude is beyond sleazy. Urban's just a little sleazy comparatively.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Shame if true. Deion Sanders out-recruited both of them last year...

#55 - Jackson State

#59 - Iowa State

#63 - Kansas

I’m going to put Deion on my coaches list I think. Slim to none of a chance but what the heck. He makes sense on a lot of levels and he has shown the ability to recruit. 

10 hours ago, junior4949 said:

No, the point is that they didn't mind stealing someone else's coach when they hired away Briles. Aranda hasn't even been there long and has a relationship with a couple of our coaches who were at LSU. We should make him a great offer because he's the kind of coach we want. Maybe he isn't even interested but Alberts should give it a shot.

10 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Yes, huge difference. Briles is second only to Sandusky in terms of sleaziness. We're talking scum of the earth s#!t. Not only tolerated, but enabled an entire culture of multiple players raping women for years at Baylor. Briles was so toxic after that mess that he couldn't get a job as a janitor for any program in the country. Had a stint in Italy where they didn't know his history. A CFL team tried to hire him and the public backlash was so bad he was fired before he even started. He finally landed at a small east Texas high school town that is pretty much 100% Baptist where their mentality was that they should forgive all of his sins to win football games. Then I think he got caught cheating there too and was eventually forced to resign. That dude is beyond sleazy. Urban's just a little sleazy comparatively.

Urban is just a little slutty.

8 hours ago, Hayseed said:

No, the point is that they didn't mind stealing someone else's coach when they hired away Briles. Aranda hasn't even been there long and has a relationship with a couple of our coaches who were at LSU. We should make him a great offer because he's the kind of coach we want. Maybe he isn't even interested but Alberts should give it a shot.

Someone sell me on Aranda. Because I'm just not seeing where all the love is coming from.

So, I’m one who believes fervently that this next HC - regime will be our last best hope to save Husker football from purgatory. We are standing at gate and momentum is pushing us  through.  

Looking at the short list of prospects M.A. shows, I wonder:  

Do most on this board sincerely and honestly believe strongly that any, some or all of them are capable and likely to return Big Rev to perennial top ten level by year 5?

Personally I’m very doubtful.  I’ve read lots of arguments for and against.  I am fairly comfortable the list includes ‘good’ coaches. But are any much better or different than Callahan, Solich, Pelini, Riley or Frost?  If so, how so?  

Maybe there simply is no better options, at any price?   I’m still strong Urban as the obvious first choice by a Husker mile.  But after that, it seems like a crap shoot for dozens.  I will support and hope no matter who Trev can find.  But we are betting long shots on all.  Recruiting is the most important factor in this hire. Period. Imo. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, M.A. said:

I’m pretty sure this is what we’re looking at…Listed in order of likelihood.

Of these, Aranda, Rhule and Leipold are my preferences.

Matt Campbell 
Lance Leipold *3
Bill O’Brien
Dave Aranda *1
Matt Rhule *2
Tom Herman

If I see Tom Herman's name mentioned one more time, I swear I'm gonna lose it. He was a disaster at Texas and they couldn't run him out of there fast enough. I followed it very closely.

25 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

So, I’m one who believes fervently that this next HC - regime will be our last best hope to save Husker football from purgatory. We are standing at gate and momentum is pushing us  through.  

Do most on this board sincerely and honestly believe strongly that any, some or all of them are capable and likely to return Big Rev to perennial top ten level by year 5?

Personally I’m very doubtful.  I’ve read lots of arguments for and against.  I am fairly comfortable the list includes ‘good’ coaches. But are any much better or different than Callahan, Solich, Pelini, Riley or Frost?  If so, how so?  

Maybe there simply is no better options, at any price?   I’m still strong Urban as the obvious first choice by a Husker mile.  But after that, it seems like a crap shoot for dozens.  I will support and hope no matter who Trev can find.  But we are betting long shots on all.  Recruiting is the most important factor in this hire. Period. Imo. 

If I could give you 1,000 +1s I would. Could not agree with this post more. Except I put Deion Sanders just below Urban and then the rest of the names are long shots. Because of the bolded part of your post.

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Those are the mostly likely “applicants” I see walking through the door. If Trev can exceed my expectations I’ll be elated.

I wish that I could be more optimistic…Maybe there’s an outside chance of hiring someone the caliber of Peterson, DeBoer or Fickell. Dave Clawson perhaps…

2 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

If I see Tom Herman's name mentioned one more time, I swear I'm gonna lose it. He was a disaster at Texas and they couldn't run him out of there fast enough. I followed it very closely.

It sounds like that it was quite hostile! What would you say was Herman’s downfall there?