Yahoo Sports releases Top 7 candidates

Which of these seven candidates would you prefer?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

So, I’m one who believes fervently that this next HC - regime will be our last best hope to save Husker football from purgatory. We are standing at gate and momentum is pushing us  through.  

Looking at the short list of prospects M.A. shows, I wonder:  

Do most on this board sincerely and honestly believe strongly that any, some or all of them are capable and likely to return Big Rev to perennial top ten level by year 5?

Personally I’m very doubtful.  I’ve read lots of arguments for and against.  I am fairly comfortable the list includes ‘good’ coaches. But are any much better or different than Callahan, Solich, Pelini, Riley or Frost?  If so, how so?  

Maybe there simply is no better options, at any price?   I’m still strong Urban as the obvious first choice by a Husker mile.  But after that, it seems like a crap shoot for dozens.  I will support and hope no matter who Trev can find.  But we are betting long shots on all.  Recruiting is the most important factor in this hire. Period. Imo. 

I believe that was Coach Frost.

Thats why I think the Husker have to make a HUGE hire.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Ah I see that's the year before last but still very impressive what he has done down there especially with recruiting. 

Okay I was referring to 2021 as last year and 2022 as this year. In 2022, by all accounts, he worked the hell out of the transfer portal. Picked up 15 transfer players, pretty much all 3 and 4 stars. He also signed the #1 corner in the country in 2022. Dude makes it rain in the living room

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Okay I was referring to 2021 as last year and 2022 as this year. In 2022, by all accounts, he worked the hell out of the transfer portal. Picked up 15 transfer players, pretty much all 3 and 4 stars. He also signed the #1 corner in the country in 2022. Dude makes it rain in the living room

Yeah it seems like he has done it both ways. One class of great HS recruits and then one where he killed the portal 

• TBH 1
57 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

And arrogance and infidelity and petulance and lack of accountability and rubbing damn near everyone in and around the program wrong while he was there. They couldn’t get him out of there fast enough. Some of the stories that came out after he was gone make the ones about Frost look mild

Dang…I’m about ready for a shot of vodka just reading that! 

1 hour ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Yeah it seems like he has done it both ways. One class of great HS recruits and then one where he killed the portal 

Yep, I heard him referred to as the king of the transfer portal second only to Riley at USC. They also claim he's working the hell out of the NIL deals (at Jackson State where they barely have running water) and that he's assembled a phenomenal staff there.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

If I see Tom Herman's name mentioned one more time, I swear I'm gonna lose it. He was a disaster at Texas and they couldn't run him out of there fast enough. I followed it very closely.

We edited out Herman. Mickey Joseph takes his place. :) 

23 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

If I see Tom Herman's name mentioned one more time, I swear I'm gonna lose it. He was a disaster at Texas and they couldn't run him out of there fast enough.

I thought he was fired prematurely at Texas. Had that happened in Lincoln we would've had a huge debate that he had been fired too soon and we didn't give him time. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I thought he was fired prematurely at Texas. Had that happened in Lincoln we would've had a huge debate that he had been fired too soon and we didn't give him time. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

From just a W-L standpoint, you’re probably right. But literally everything else about him made him very hard to continue to support. I mean, if you’re considered an intolerable arrogant prick at Texas, that’s really saying something.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1