Yahoo Sports releases Top 7 candidates

Which of these seven candidates would you prefer?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Listed in order of estimated probability. Personal preference as indicated.  

Lance Leipold *2

Matt Campbell *5

Bill O’Brien *6

Dave Aranda *1

Matt Rhule *4

Jeff Grimes *3

Honorable mention: “Prime Time” Deion Sanders. He’s a long long shot for sure. I like the guy and what he’s doing. Doubt that he’s interested. Short on experience. Offers quite a lot of intangibles though! 

*Edited to add. It might then look something like this…

Leipold

Aranda

Campbell

O’Brien

Rhule

Grimes

Edited by M.A.
19 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Listed in order of estimated probability. Personal preference as indicated.  

Lance Leipold *2

Matt Campbell *5

Bill O’Brien *6

Dave Aranda *1

Matt Rhule *4

Jeff Grimes *3

Honorable mention: “Prime Time” Deion Sanders. He’s a long long shot for sure. I like the guy and what he’s doing. Doubt that he’s interested. Short on experience. Offers quite a lot of intangibles though! 

Why would Grimes be a candidate for HC, let alone higher than Rhule or Campbell?

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, M.A. said:

What causes you to object?

He's never been a HC at any level from what I can see.  I don't think we can roll the dice on a coordinator this time.  In my opinion, if we fail yet again, support is finally going to fall off for this program.

You also never answered my question about why he should be considered.

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, runningblind said:

He's never been a HC at any level from what I can see.  I don't think we can roll the dice on a coordinator this time.  In my opinion, if we fail yet again, support is finally going to fall off for this program.

If Grimes is interested in head coaching, he’ll likely be hired in the next couple of years I think. Normally I wouldn’t suggest an offensive coordinator that’s not been an HC. I like him that much. I do see your point and it’s definitely relevant. And, I agree with your assessment of how critical the hire is too.

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, M.A. said:

There are a lot of scoundrels in the coaching profession? It seems that you feel strongly about this. I agree many might be viewed as a- holes. I’m not convinced however that most are prone to reckless conduct. 

I'd say there a very, VERY few successful coaches at this level who don't have skeletons in their closet of one variety or another. Some are just better at hiding than others.

28 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'd say there a very, VERY few successful coaches at this level who don't have skeletons in their closet of one variety or another. Some are just better at hiding than others.

Most people despite whatever impression that’s desired to be presented have flaws or challenges. Life is hard. We’re human. It’s a matter of having a few bones or a whole closet full.

A scoundrel would be someone I’d describe as being particularly nasty that has a pattern of destructive behavior. 

There are plenty examples of that. My perspective might not be an entirely accurate one. 

I don’t expect the coach of my team to be a shimmering example of righteousness though the person should have a reasonable degree of gravitas.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, M.A. said:

Absolutely. I’m trusting that Trev Alberts will make every effort to select a head coach representing standards of the program and our fan base collectively as a whole.

....which brings me back to my original point. If you're looking for a top-tier coach with strong character and morals, you're pretty much out of luck. The guys at this level are all cutthroats and only the strong survive. Many project a "nice guy" image but don't be fooled... they're just better at hiding their demons than others. The name of the game is winning and $, period.

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

....which brings me back to my original point. If you're looking for a top-tier coach with strong character and morals, you're pretty much out of luck. The guys at this level are all cutthroats and only the strong survive. Many project a "nice guy" image but don't be fooled... they're just better at hiding their demons than others. The name of the game is winning and $, period.

Hard to argue with this. Of the top 3 (Saban, Urban, Dabo), all 3 have some pretty well documented character/moral blemishes. Although, also pretty hard to argue that Urban's blemishes aren't worse than the other 2. He comes in a pretty solid third on that list. It all just comes down to where you draw the line on that kind of stuff.

On 9/28/2022 at 9:14 AM, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

There are very few people on this board who, if their life was under the microscope like a college HC is, that wouldn't have skeletons of one variety or another.

If they don't, they have lived their life under a rock.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1