Yahoo Sports releases Top 7 candidates

Which of these seven candidates would you prefer?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 hours ago, B1GRED said:

There are very few people on this board who, if their life was under the microscope like a college HC is, that wouldn't have skeletons of one variety or another.

If they don't, they have lived their life under a rock.

18 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Hard to argue with this. Of the top 3 (Saban, Urban, Dabo), all 3 have some pretty well documented character/moral blemishes. Although, also pretty hard to argue that Urban's blemishes aren't worse than the other 2. He comes in a pretty solid third on that list. It all just comes down to where you draw the line on that kind of stuff.

What we’re addressing here are patterns of incidences occurring. And, incidences having occurred. There’s a difference.

Disordered personalities can be found anywhere. Few of us are without “skeletons”. Those having closets full of them can be correlated with the toxicity associated with personality disorders. 

When I say “disorders” I am referring to the antisocial varieties. They occur on a spectrum of severity from mild to more complex and destructive.

The coaching profession is one example of having a higher percentage of these types of perpetrators. It isn’t exclusive to highest achievers. It occurs throughout. There certainly can be covert aspects to it depending on the person.

In short, some of the highest achievers have personality disorders while their other high achieving peers don’t. 

We all have a dark side. It is upon us to manage it. None of us is without challenges. Some self reflect and consider the consequences of their actions. While others, simply don’t see anything wrong with their behaviors and don’t recognize a need to address them. That’s where there’s a legitimate, particularly concerning issue.

Most of us don’t expect our team’s head coach to be of pristine character. We do however want to avoid patterns of conduct that compromise our interests. Thus, the necessity for thorough examinations of how any particular coaching candidate conducts themselves. 

In our case, it seems that an enabler was let go. An alternate was installed to inject accountability and hopefully correct the ship’s course. 

Unfortunately it didn’t end well. It didn’t for Joe Paterno either. Lots of folks admired, even revered him too. 

• Plus1 2
On 9/12/2022 at 6:58 AM, gorp512 said:

How can people go from only someone like Urban Meyer to Mickey Joseph if he gets us to a Lawn Mower Dish Soap Bowl? 

It’s making me sick to my stomach that fans would settle for Mickey. He has never been on any one’s radar as a coordinator yet alone P5 Head Coach. If he wasn’t here our fans wouldn’t have him in their top 100. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, M.A. said:

What we’re addressing here are patterns of incidences occurring. And, incidences having occurred. There’s a difference.

Disordered personalities can be found anywhere. Few of us are without “skeletons”. Those having closets full of them can be correlated with the toxicity associated with personality disorders. 

When I say “disorders” I am referring to the antisocial varieties. They occur on a spectrum of severity from mild to more complex and destructive.

The coaching profession is one example of having a higher percentage of these types of perpetrators. It isn’t exclusive to highest achievers. It occurs throughout. There certainly can be covert aspects to it depending on the person.

In short, some of the highest achievers have personality disorders while their other high achieving peers don’t. 

We all have a dark side. It is upon us to manage it. None of us is without challenges. Some self reflect and consider the consequences of their actions. While others, simply don’t see anything wrong with their behaviors and don’t recognize a need to address them. That’s where there’s a legitimate, particularly concerning issue.

Most of us don’t expect our team’s head coach to be of pristine character. We do however want to avoid patterns of conduct that compromise our interests. Thus, the necessity for thorough examinations of how any particular coaching candidate conducts themselves. 

In our case, it seems that an enabler was let go. An alternate was installed to inject accountability and hopefully correct the ship’s course. 

Unfortunately it didn’t end well. It didn’t for Joe Paterno either. Lots of folks admired, even revered him too. 

Very well thought out and informative post. Thank you. You also can't discount that, whether we like it or not, winning offsets some of those character/moral blemishes. There's kind of a one-to-one relationship here with regard to level of success vs. severity of said blemishes. Again, it all just comes down to where you draw the line on that kind of stuff. Or in this case, where the NU administration draws the line.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/12/2022 at 8:35 AM, The Dude said:

I'm surprised people are still so dazzled by the allure of a "splash hire" after how the last one worked out.

Someone like Matt Campbell or Mickey Joseph could end up being a good fit and end up running a respectable program here.

Matt Campbell is officially out. And not in coach speak. He OFFICIALLY turned us down as a candidate. 

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Where are you getting this? Link?

No link. As you should know by now…..links from the media are the least likely and slowest mode of gaining the truth. Not explaining my way so you can choose to believe or not. But it is true. He made direct contact with the university saying he wasn’t interested. 

• Haha 5
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 minutes ago, Cigarman said:

No link. As you should know by now…..links from the media are the least likely and slowest mode of gaining the truth. Not explaining my way so you can choose to believe or not. But it is true. He made direct contact with the university saying he wasn’t interested. 

Hope you're right so I choose to believe. Looks like we dodged that bullet...

giphy.gif?cid=790b76116b6b524e80d7fb7ab0

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Very well thought out and informative post. Thank you. You also can't discount that, whether we like it or not, winning offsets some of those character/moral blemishes. There's kind of a one-to-one relationship here with regard to level of success vs. severity of said blemishes. Again, it all just comes down to where you draw the line on that kind of stuff. Or in this case, where the NU administration draws the line.

Some of the best surgeons are sociopaths or psychopaths. A higher percentage than other other groups. That’s an extreme. It usually isn’t what’s portrayed in movies. They can be particularly nasty no less. And it wouldn’t be accurate to say all of them are. Far from it. Point being, highly successful professionals aren’t necessarily bad characters.

“Skeletons” can mean a variety of things. I would say very few of us don’t have them.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Cigarman said:

It’s making me sick to my stomach that fans would settle for Mickey. He has never been on any one’s radar as a coordinator yet alone P5 Head Coach. If he wasn’t here our fans wouldn’t have him in their top 100. 

I will say this.  If MJ gets this team 6 wins and a bowl he deserves a serious look.  He will prove that he can develop talent, beat Iowa and Wisky and possibly Michigan.  And do it with a patchwork staff, no time to implement any type of scheme or culture, but just wing it.  After taking over for the worst coach in NU history.  Who now appears to have had a host of issues.  Something Frost was unable to do in 4 years.....In short, MJ will have performed a miracle.  Imagine if he had his staff and players...Dabo was pretty much unknown outside of the AD at Clemson when he was announced.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cigarman said:

They all say they're not interested, then they do!  

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

I will say this.  If MJ gets this team 6 wins and a bowl he deserves a serious look.  He will prove that he can develop talent, beat Iowa and Wisky and possibly Michigan.  And do it with a patchwork staff, no time to implement any type of scheme or culture, but just wing it.  After taking over for the worst coach in NU history.  Who now appears to have had a host of issues.  Something Frost was unable to do in 4 years.....In short, MJ will have performed a miracle.  Imagine if he had his staff and players...Dabo was pretty much unknown outside of the AD at Clemson when he was announced.  

That’s a monumental task. At the same time we don’t know what can be accomplished. Let MJ do his work and see how things go. 

• Plus1 1