Jump to content

Yahoo Sports releases Top 7 candidates


Which of these seven candidates would you prefer?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

If we make a bowl game and improvement is evident, stick with Mickey.  

 

There is a part of me that hopes this is what happens.  We find out Mickey can just flat out coach and we hit the ground running in the offseason.

 

I'm also trying to manage my expectations.

Link to comment

3 hours ago, huskerfan702 said:

Eric Bieniemy

Luke Fickell

Byron Leftwich
Dave Aranda 

Sam Pittman

 

Would love to somehow get Pittman, but he is from Oklahoma (meaning he's closer home) and has them heading in the right direction. No way he leaves Arkansas for frankly right now is a much lesser program in terms of current situation and forever recruiting difficulties

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Sure looks like alot of Husker fans overall choice who they want to become the head coach so far is Urban Meyer. What that tells me is that Husker nation is tired of losing.

Fair assessment,  I'm willing to look past Urbans douchebagery if it means more wins.  

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment

So what I am reading is that alot of people are willing to take Meyer, knowing that he doesn't stay long in one place.  Why?  Ask yourselves why does he average about 5 seasons per stop?  Why?  I don't really know other than the schools that he leaves usually are left with somekind of moral issue or misguided recruiting.  Now, with the portal and NIL, recruiting issues seem to be a thing of the past.  Regardless of how good you think he is, and I do think he is a really good football coach, odds are this is not a destination job for him.  Thats why I would steer clear of him.  He coached at Florida and Ohio ST.   Two places where you can step out your back door and recruit 40 kids who are 4 and 5 star.  Ohio has the same abundance of talent in state.  Those were easy gigs.  This job will require heavy foot traffic in all locations to find that talent and get them to Lincoln.  Meyer is not hungry enough for this job, but would take 8-10 million for a couple of years and try until another job was more to his likely hood.  We need a coach who wants to be here.  Want to be here for 10-15 years.  We need a CEO type guy to get things going.  His presser today was awesome from so many angles.  The Chins comments, just relax.  Nothing is going to happen this week.  AFter this game and during the bye week Chins might be let go.  Damage control people.  Firing one coach was enough for one week.  Imagine firiing two on different sides of the ball.  The whole team would have been in trouble and this game Saturday would have been a joke for sure.  I think if Chins D doesn't show more this week, he is gone. 

For the record, not really impressed with any of those names.  Trev has a list of coaches.  I won't be surprised if a name appears out of left field and thats guy.  We might know that coach, but wasn't on the hot list.  I don't know who that would be, but have a feeling wasting the next 3 months making points for and against hot list coaches isn't going to get it done either.  Sit back relax, and enjoy 9 games where a team will improve, it can't get any worse, and see what happens. 

Link to comment

Also, Mickey is an excellent recruiter.  This is about 75% of being a good to really good coach.  Ask most National title winning coaching in any sport, they will tell you that it starts with recruiting.  In all fairness, I don't think Mickey is really a serious contender for this job now.  If he goes 5-4 or 6-3, I think you have to give him a 3 year contract and ride it out.  In all fairness, if Frost would have gone 7-5 this season, I think we would have been retained.  That meant beating NW and Ga South, that sealed Frost future.  So If 7-5 would have kept Frost, why wouldn't it keep Mickey?  Honest and fair question.  What else it will say, if Mickey does get the job, and gets it by going 6-6 or 7-5, no one else wanted it.  Keep  all of this in mind as this plays out.  I am rooting for this to work.  I think this a great oppourtunity for  loyal Husker.  Ask yourself who Dave ARanda was before he was DAve ARanda Baylor head coach?  Same with alot of guys.  They were given a chance, and took the ball and ran with it. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

So what I am reading is that alot of people are willing to take Meyer, knowing that he doesn't stay long in one place.  Why?  Ask yourselves why does he average about 5 seasons per stop?  Why?  I don't really know other than the schools that he leaves usually are left with somekind of moral issue or misguided recruiting.  Now, with the portal and NIL, recruiting issues seem to be a thing of the past.  Regardless of how good you think he is, and I do think he is a really good football coach, odds are this is not a destination job for him.  Thats why I would steer clear of him.  He coached at Florida and Ohio ST.   Two places where you can step out your back door and recruit 40 kids who are 4 and 5 star.  Ohio has the same abundance of talent in state.  Those were easy gigs.  This job will require heavy foot traffic in all locations to find that talent and get them to Lincoln.  Meyer is not hungry enough for this job, but would take 8-10 million for a couple of years and try until another job was more to his likely hood.  We need a coach who wants to be here.  Want to be here for 10-15 years.  We need a CEO type guy to get things going.  His presser today was awesome from so many angles.  The Chins comments, just relax.  Nothing is going to happen this week.  AFter this game and during the bye week Chins might be let go.  Damage control people.  Firing one coach was enough for one week.  Imagine firiing two on different sides of the ball.  The whole team would have been in trouble and this game Saturday would have been a joke for sure.  I think if Chins D doesn't show more this week, he is gone. 

For the record, not really impressed with any of those names.  Trev has a list of coaches.  I won't be surprised if a name appears out of left field and thats guy.  We might know that coach, but wasn't on the hot list.  I don't know who that would be, but have a feeling wasting the next 3 months making points for and against hot list coaches isn't going to get it done either.  Sit back relax, and enjoy 9 games where a team will improve, it can't get any worse, and see what happens. 

We are already a joke. When your favored by 20 something points and lose to a fcs school that says alot. For the most part coaches don't stay for longevity at schools. They stay and move on to challenge themselves. EC has had his chance to show and he couldn't and hasn't gotten it done since he has been here. If anything he is to blame as well for never truly having a great defense. Remember Husker Fans pay for the University not the other way around meaning if it is another Mike Riley hire Husker fans will stop supporting them and watch out if that were to happen just saying.

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

We are already a joke. When your favored by 20 something points and lose to a fcs school that says alot. For the most part coaches don't stay for longevity at schools. They stay and move on to challenge themselves. EC has had his chance to show and he couldn't and hasn't gotten it done since he has been here. If anything he is to blame as well for never truly having a great defense. Remember Husker Fans pay for the University not the other way around meaning if it is another Mike Riley hire Husker fans will stop supporting them and watch out if that were to happen just saying.

And in no way am I saying Husker fans should run the program but the University depends on the revenue that we as fans produce. If we didnt produce Nebraska wouldn't be relevant in this day and age. We do have a voice in who we think should be the next coach and for the majority of the time they have listened. SP didn't listen and it rubbed alot of people the wrong way. We all has husker nation thought Scott was going to work out but we didn't take into a effect how much loyalty he had to his coaches but kind of coaches he was bringing here, what type of defense he was going to have, what type of kids he was going to recruit. All of it was his downfall and we has Husker nation didn't see any of it. I do think Husker fans know a winner when they see one and that is what it takes to compete not with the Minnesota or Purdue or Northwestern but the Ohio State's, Michigan, Clemson's. Tell me a coach other then Urban Meyer that can do that on a consistent basis? I say Urban Meyer can do it at Nebraska bc he knows enough established coaches in the business to help achieve his goals not guys that aren't established or learning on the fly here. 

Link to comment

I keep reading from multiple beat writers and outsiders that there overall choice they would like is Matt Campbell or the Kansas coach. They don't see really any other names bc they say Nebraska ISN'T ANYBODY'S Top choice and trying to win or even compete for national championships is a thing of the past. I don't buy that crap and I will never comply that Nebraska cant and won't compete for National Championships on a year to year basis. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
22 hours ago, admo said:

I want it to be Mickey, for stability and how great of a man he is, with a wealth of experience over the years, and his ties to Nebraska football.  Would make us competitive year in and year out.  

 

I want Urban Meyer mostly, because he would make us a Top 3 team in the conference every year, and he would.  Including beating Michigan and Ohio State at times.  Winning the whole conference would not be a stretch.

 

UM first choice, Mickey 2nd.  Nothing else.  

I'd love it if it was both.. Urban HC and mickey stays on an assistant HC/HC waiting to be... similar to what stoops did with riley and to an extent, urban had with Day.  

 

Realistic?  probably not... but gimme somone like urban (if he's interested) in building what a great program should look like, then when hes burnt out he's handing it off to someone who learned a thing or 2 from the guy and can continue the excellence in place

  • Oh Yeah! 1
Link to comment

15 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I keep reading from multiple beat writers and outsiders that there overall choice they would like is Matt Campbell or the Kansas coach. They don't see really any other names bc they say Nebraska ISN'T ANYBODY'S Top choice and trying to win or even compete for national championships is a thing of the past. I don't buy that crap and I will never comply that Nebraska cant and won't compete for National Championships on a year to year basis. 

The last 20 years says there is a lot more work to do here, than if you just waited for greener pastures to come along.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, deedsker said:

The last 20 years says there is a lot more work to do here, than if you just waited for greener pastures to come along.

 

This shouldn't be so difficult to understand.

 

It takes a lot of work to take a program from 3-9 to 9-3. The distance between 3 and 9 wins is way shorter than 9 and 12. Clemson may never get back there. You've gotta get there first though.

Link to comment
17 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Also, Mickey is an excellent recruiter.  This is about 75% of being a good to really good coach.  Ask most National title winning coaching in any sport, they will tell you that it starts with recruiting.  In all fairness, I don't think Mickey is really a serious contender for this job now.  If he goes 5-4 or 6-3, I think you have to give him a 3 year contract and ride it out.  In all fairness, if Frost would have gone 7-5 this season, I think we would have been retained.  That meant beating NW and Ga South, that sealed Frost future.  So If 7-5 would have kept Frost, why wouldn't it keep Mickey?  Honest and fair question.  What else it will say, if Mickey does get the job, and gets it by going 6-6 or 7-5, no one else wanted it.  Keep  all of this in mind as this plays out.  I am rooting for this to work.  I think this a great oppourtunity for  loyal Husker.  Ask yourself who Dave ARanda was before he was DAve ARanda Baylor head coach?  Same with alot of guys.  They were given a chance, and took the ball and ran with it. 

 

I'm really pulling for Mickey (for his recruiting ability alone), and want to see him succeed, but let's be real: he's in a very tough predicament. They'll be 1-3 after Saturday, and would need to win 5 of 8 just to become bowl eligible. If he can somehow pull off a miracle and get this team back on track and winning, then he definitely deserves a shot. But if not -- Meyer is far and away my top pick.

 

As for Aranda, he was LSU's DC on their national championship-winning team in 2019, and that earned him quite a bit of recognition & attention.

  • Oh Yeah! 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...