Yahoo Sports releases Top 7 candidates

Which of these seven candidates would you prefer?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Matt Campbell loses too many games.   Anybody is better than Frost’s fiasco here, but 44 - 34, c’mon.  What’s the reasoning for him being excellent enough for here, other than yeah he’s better than Frost?  Campbell loses about every third game he coaches.  That is not what we want, no matter how far down we’ve fallen. 

• Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, Hagg said:

Matt Campbell loses too many games.   Anybody is better than Frost’s fiasco here, but 44 - 34, c’mon.  What’s the reasoning for him being excellent enough for here, other than yeah he’s better than Frost?  Campbell loses about every third game he coaches.  That is not what we want, no matter how far down we’ve fallen. 

I think if we can do better we will. 

But, 

prepare yourself for the reality that we're legitimately one of the very worst P5 programs at the moment, and we're not exactly in a position to have all the elite coaches just fall at our feet.

• Fire 1

I love this thread so thank you for starting it.  Before posting my top 5, I am going to make an assumption that we are not going to get Bob Stoops, Urban Meyer or Chris Petersen to come out of retirement.  I also am going to assume we are not going to get Saban, Smart, Day or Dabo to leave their current program.  With that said, here are my top 5.

1.  Lane Kiffin

2.  Mark Stoops

3.  Matt Rhule

4.  Matt Campbell

5. Dave Aranda

Two Wildcards:  Kalen Deboer-I think this guy is primed to make a splash at the P5 level and we will see how good of a season Washington has this year.  They have a big game coming up against Michigan State. Also, I like what Sam Pittman is doing at Arkansas and he has learned under Kirby Smart.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I love this thread so thank you for starting it.  Before posting my top 5, I am going to make an assumption that we are not going to get Bob Stoops, Urban Meyer or Chris Peterson to come out of retirement.  I also am going to assume we are not going to get Saban, Smart, Day or Dabo to leave their current program.  With that said, here are my top 5.

1.  Lane Kiffin

2.  Mark Stoops

3.  Matt Rhule

4.  Matt Campbell

5. Dave Aranda

Two Wildcards:  Kalen Deboer-I think this guy is primed to make a splash at the P5 level and we will see how good of a season Washington has this year.  They have a big game coming up against Michigan State. Also, I like what Sam Pittman is doing at Arkansas and he has learned under Kirby Smart.  

Makes a note that he's excluding Urban to keep it real, but then adds four guys with contract buyouts over $25mill who would never leave their schools. LOL

3 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Makes a note that he's excluding Urban to keep it real, but then adds four guys with contract buyouts over $25mill who would never leave their schools. LOL

If you read the assumption, I stated that Bob Stoops, Urban Meyer and Chris Petersen would not be interested in coming out of retirement to coach again.  Perhaps you missed that part.  Also, yes, many guys we might go after will have contract buyouts.  I would not settle for making a list of only those who do not have a buyout.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I think if we can do better we will. 

But, 

prepare yourself for the reality that we're legitimately one of the very worst P5 programs at the moment, and we're not exactly in a position to have all the elite coaches just fall at our feet.

Most great coaches become great coaches by taking over bad programs. 

Elite coaches occasionally move sideways, or return to their home school, but yeah, they don't leave cushy jobs for a challenge or even the money, which we're not going to match. 

Former elite coaches who get itchy in retirement? It's possible, but that's historically a mixed bag of results. 

There are plenty of good coaches, assistants, and coordinators with something to prove, and Nebraska is the perfect place to do it. None of them will be splash hires. One might be Mickey Joseph. 

• Plus1 2