Jump to content

Yahoo Sports releases Top 7 candidates


Which of these seven candidates would you prefer?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts


4 hours ago, TGHusker said:

  Yes the old Back to the Future option: We fired a .300 coach in Jennings and brought in a guy from Wyoming - named Devaney.  And bingo history was made. 

Bohl played for the Huskers and was their DC before Solich fired him.  Bohl then wound up at North Dakota State where he built a FCS dynasty finishing with three consecutive FCS championships.  He also grew up in Lincoln so he knows the Big Red Traditions developed by Devaney and Osbourne.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, URSS said:

Bohl played for the Huskers and was their DC before Solich fired him.  Bohl then wound up at North Dakota State where he built a FCS dynasty finishing with three consecutive FCS championships.  He also grew up in Lincoln so he knows the Big Red Traditions developed by Devaney and Osbourne.

 

...you left out the lack of success he's had at Wyoming. Hard pass.

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

Just my opinion 

 

Matt Campbell will not be our next coach. Listening to him numerous times and visiting with him a few times, he will not seriously entertain the Nebraska gig. He has turned down a lot of $$$ from other schools and nfl to complete a mission at ISU. With Texas and OU jumping ship soon, that mission becomes a lot easier. Matt Campbell will NOT be our next coach.

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

14 minutes ago, HANC said:

Just my opinion 

 

Matt Campbell will not be our next coach. Listening to him numerous times and visiting with him a few times, he will not seriously entertain the Nebraska gig. He has turned down a lot of $$$ from other schools and nfl to complete a mission at ISU. With Texas and OU jumping ship soon, that mission becomes a lot easier. Matt Campbell will NOT be our next coach.

It's a bit of relief to read this but I feel like he's Trev's wet dream

Link to comment

I loved Trev’s comment that we don’t need to worry about nattys or the old days, we need to start doing the little things right. I think the same goes for bringing in a coach. Let’s face it, we haven’t just stumbled, we broke our legs. We need to crawl before we can walk, before we can run. Let’s focus on someone who runs a tight ship with an eye on detail and get some consistent wins.  While there are some flashy names on this list, let’s find ourselves a teacher. Who has more experience in a variety of great conferences, leagues, etc. than Bill O’Brien? Anything but that dumpster fire Urban Meyer.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I think he is a good coach but remember who he took over after? Urban Meyer who went 12-0 at Utah. It also took him 11 years to win a Pac 12 title. 

Urban beat Pitt in a BCS bowl when he was at Utah, Whittingham beat Bama in a BCS bowl with a better team 2 years later.

Link to comment
5 hours ago, URSS said:

Bohl played for the Huskers and was their DC before Solich fired him.  Bohl then wound up at North Dakota State where he built a FCS dynasty finishing with three consecutive FCS championships.  He also grew up in Lincoln so he knows the Big Red Traditions developed by Devaney and Osbourne.

A-gap

A-gap

Incomplete 

Punt

Then potato bowl in Boise(edit)

 

That's Bohls Wyoming resume without Josh Allen

  • Plus1 4
Link to comment

3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

 

...you left out the lack of success he's had at Wyoming. Hard pass.

True.  He has not taken Wyoming Dow though- mixed bag of winning and losing seasons.  His record is better than Frost and he has to re recruit for Wyoming- much harder than for Lincoln.  My point was that he built the North Dakota State winning ways.  Mickey Joseph may be a great coach but has been a head coach for one year without any evidence of building a football machine.  I hope that Mickey gets the job done and builds something for the future.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Murph105 said:

I loved Trev’s comment that we don’t need to worry about nattys or the old days, we need to start doing the little things right. I think the same goes for bringing in a coach. Let’s face it, we haven’t just stumbled, we broke our legs. We need to crawl before we can walk, before we can run. Let’s focus on someone who runs a tight ship with an eye on detail and get some consistent wins.  While there are some flashy names on this list, let’s find ourselves a teacher. Who has more experience in a variety of great conferences, leagues, etc. than Bill O’Brien? Anything but that dumpster fire Urban Meyer.

We got Whipple already.   He’s as good as most of the non-elite coaches being tossed about.  Mickey may be just as good as well.  If we are just looking for Xs and Os guys with clean resumes, we already have those.  Simply replace Chinander with a pretty good man and retain MJ.   
 

Frankly the defense had been trending up until

falling off the cliff this fall.  There must be a logical explanation, so fix it.  Was Frost sticking his nose into the defense with some ‘better’ ideas?   WTH?   
 

Many of the team’s biggest failings Frost addressed fairly well, after being coerced.  He clearly FAILED with the lines - the very foundation of a football team and program building generally.  Raiola may be improving his group technique wise. All good but raw talent to build from has been neglected.  For this he was fired, appropriately so. He mismanaged time, talent and any number of other major issues.  Also fireable.  
 

If the new HC is not an elite (splash) hire, and it’s a hire based on ‘technical expertise’, schematics, workmanship, etc., I think MJ and Whipple and probably a 100 more similar candidates to consider.   No big hurry because  national ‘wow’ recruiting is clearly way down the priority list, or at least it would seem that way from a big picture view.  If we don’t get a household name home run, then let’s go back to the future with the best run the ball option guy for OC, the top rated DC guy.  Keep MJ some of the rest as the new coordinators feel OK.   The new HC will be a statement:  we are starting from scratch with a very fine ‘local’ contractor OR we are buying the very best cfb ‘architect’ out there.   

Bear in mind, with this contractor and our own design approach we will need another 5 years to get the roster built, or longer, as pipelines are long term projects.
 

Frost wasted so much time revolving and churning the roster only to leave us with so little in some vital areas.  He didn’t develop players, he rented them.  He couldn’t train them to be good, he needed them to already be ready on arrival.  That’s not sustainable.  We need a well organized, well oiled, program, not just a fresh group of raw recruits thrown together for a few practices spring, summer and fall.  
 

Maybe MJ and Whip can oversee the offense being designers and builders. Maybe we need the architect.   I’m impatient after decades of self help remodel jobs.  Either way, I’m Husker but I’m not sure fan base at large will be so patient. Frost pretty much exhausted the patience factor for a lot of us!   

 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...