Recipe for success

Hans Gruber

10 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Top 30 s I think.  
but misleading.  Classes should be rated by position groups.  More indicative.  And retention ratings annually.  That would tell s great deal  more.  

https://archive.ph/2022.09.14-131438/https://theathletic.com/3593206/2022/09/14/nebraska-scott-frost-transfer-portal-attrition/#selection-2431.0-2431.1
19th actually. 

Every program has turnover nowadays, Nebraska has just had more. Scott wasn’t doing his job imo. Too lax, too lazy, too drunk, and unmotivated to work all the hours required to get things going. Imo, this is nearly all coaching, horrible management, and unqualified assistants. 

23 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

Bo and Mike Riley each had at least one top 20 class too. I agree that if Nebraska wins games, they can recruit well. 

Bo had several. He got fat and lazy the last 3 years when he was trying to get fired. Yes, I have no doubt Nebraska can recruit well, but they gotta win some damn ballgames. 

I want to be known as a team that always has a strong offensive line. And a reliable running game. I want the defense to be disruptive and limiting. A team that is disciplined and sound with fundamentals. And an organization that does well developing players good at maximizing their potential. Everyone operates professionally and genuinely cares for each other.  

• Plus1 1

I have some ideas.

The head coach should be given some help to hire a seasoned offensive coordinator that helped coach one of the best passers in the country recently. Next, a wide receivers coach should be brought in from the SEC who has ties to Lincoln but also has good ties to recruiting in SEC country.

Then, we should get an offensive line coach who has NFL coaching experience.

And to top it all of I'd get a dedicated special teams coordinator who's been in the business for a while as well.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
On 9/14/2022 at 9:58 PM, Undone said:

I have some ideas.

The head coach should be given some help to hire a seasoned offensive coordinator that helped coach one of the best passers in the country recently. Next, a wide receivers coach should be brought in from the SEC who has ties to Lincoln but also has good ties to recruiting in SEC country.

And to top it all of I'd get a dedicated special teams coordinator who's been in the business for a while as well.

Not a bad start.  Now, take s as fresh look at the defense.  

Next, thoroughly and honestly assess the performance of each and every player and coach.  Prune and trim the waste, the overstock and under stock at every position, and act aggressively and immediately accordingly.  

Do semiannually,  a detailed and objective internal review of operations, policies, procedures, practices, training, academic and strength and conditioning programs.  Act promptly in each and every area to increase efficiency, participation, evaluation and assessments.   The objectives must always be to become the very best.  Implement independent professional audits, reviews and ratings.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

On 9/14/2022 at 9:58 PM, Undone said:

I have some ideas.

Not sure that's enough. I recommend bringing in a transfer QB with experience at a major program. Maybe someone with experience against future opponents.

• Haha 2
  • TBH 1

1--Find a coach with a proven defensive philosophy, recruit to that defense

2--Consistently have a top 25 defense.   Good scheme and good athletes will get you there.   Sprinkle in some great athletes, and you will be top 15

3--Have proven assistant coaches that have a track record of developing talent.   Nebraska will always be able to get high 3* and 4* players.  Find coaches that can maximize their potential

4--Coach being fundamentally sound in your offense.   Ball security and no mental mistakes (ie false starts, illegal formations etc).  A sound offense and a good to great defense will get you top 20 year in and year out.   Mix in the better athletes that we will attract, top 10 and playoff appearance will come.   No more as many reps as possible fix it later attitude.  Correct immediately and practice correct reps right away.

5--Expand the support staff.   With changes coming to expand amount of coaches allowed, and the resources available in Lincoln in terms of dollars to spend on staff.  We should have top 20 support staff.   Go the Saban route, get coaches who were let go to be support staff, coaches burned out on the grind of on the road recruiting, but enjoy watching film and can identify talent, get them in the recruiting staff.   Even now, someone like Solich, who can't handle the grind of being a head coach, would be an amazing asset in support staff.   Be it Offense Analyst to assist breaking down film for the RB coach, or watching recruiting film.  Or someone like Keith Williams, being in an analyst role to help the WR coach in breaking down film and constructing drills for current players.  Find former players looking to break in to coaching to fill some of these spots as well, to groom potential staff and develop continuity.

• Plus1 1

As a foundation, begin by establishing strong offensive and defensive lines. That’s the #1 priority.

Emphasize special having effective special teams play and forcing turnovers. Focus on playing fundamentally sound with a minimum of errors. Gain time of possession advantage consistently. Be able to rush reliably. Build around the players you can get working with the players you have.

Onside kick and go for two every time (Just kidding).  

We are the Huskers. We might have disadvantages but you can count on us being scrappy, unyielding and playing with a nasty attitude toe to toe with no finish in mind. We keep coming at you regardless the score. 

• Plus1 2

toughness.  That’s the Formula 1 

my old college coach used to say “we’re gonna hit them in the f’ing throat. Hit them under their chin. They’ll hit you in the throat. Who bleeds first will lose.”  
He was a nasty old school Italian man who coached great football and was rarely out-schemed. But by end of the game we usually just beat the f’ing s#!t out the opponent, scheme or not. 

it wasn’t fun to play for him, he was a mean mf’er.  Practices were hard as nails. But when Saturday’s rolled around we took out our pent up rage and anger on the opposition. (And were well schemed). Practices were harder than the games. 

that’s who we need to be:

Tough. As. F’ing. Nails. 

• Plus1 1

On 9/13/2022 at 7:38 PM, Has Been said:

Well, Scott mostly had top 20 classes, until this past year, which was a small class. So, that all happened with lots of losing, right? Imagine what Nebraska could do if it won games? Effort and wins , and Nebraska can absolutely recruit top 10-15 classes. It just needs the right people working for them. Dedication, hard workers, hungry dudes, and smarts, and you’ve got a recipe for success. I’ve always maintained, you can win a national championship if you can constantly recruit in the 10-15 range. 

“Dedication, hard workers, hungry dudes, and smarts, and you’ve got a recipe for success”

That is the smartest thing I’ve read on this board in a long time.  THAT is what this team is missing and that is the kind of coaches we need. 

• Fire 1