Mike'l Severe rant on Scott Frost

308_Husker

1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Sometimes people have the best intentions and are not capable.  That doesn't mean they don't care.  It means they are over their head.

I believe he was over his head and it wasn't ever going to work.  I think he's a coordinator that lacks the skills to successfully operate a large organization.  It's a difficult job with a marginal success rate.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.  Spot on. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

If he wasn’t putting in the work because he was over his head, then he simply checked out and….didn’t care anymore. 

Other people who find themselves in over their heads put in MORE work to try their best to succeed. That’s not what Frost did. 

Because it’s what you’d do doesn’t make someone else lazy.

I’ve worked in large organizations my entire career (20+).  It’s pretty frequent to encounter a leader that can’t lead.  I’m baffled at times how someone will take on a job at a facility with 1,000 people and want to work 45 hours, but I’ve seen it quite a few times.  Good people, but it wasn’t the job for them and the facilities suffered.

At the end of the it’s just not a match.  I believe he thought he could do it and had good intentions. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I’ve worked in large organizations my entire career (20+).  It’s pretty frequent to encounter a leader that can’t lead.  I’m baffled at times how someone will take on a job at a facility with 1,000 people and want to work 45 hours, but I’ve seen it quite a few times.  Good people, but it wasn’t the job for them and the facilities suffered.

At the end of the it’s just not a match.  I believe he thought he could do it and had good intentions. 

I've seen it both ways.  I've seen people take on a job they were overwhelmed with, put in extra time and grow into the job and do very well.  I've also seen people get into a job, be overwhelmed and just check out, milk it for a paycheck till they ultimately are let go.

Admittedly, it takes a certain type of person to understand they are in over their head and work their a$$ off to overcome it.  But, it happens.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I don't believe this is true.  Sometimes people have the best intentions and are not capable.  That doesn't mean they don't care.  It means they are over their head.

I believe he was over his head and it wasn't ever going to work.  I think he's a coordinator that lacks the skills to successfully operate a large organization.  It's a difficult job with a marginal success rate.

1 minute ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I think you're on to something here. The UCF job was in a place with low expectations, so any amount of success was going to be met with heaps of praise. He was far from home, far from the limelight, far from family. The distractions at that job were much fewer.

He returns to Nebraska where he has an ailing father, new young children, many, many more demands on his time, and immediately the glorious return of the prodigal son goes south with the Akron rainout and the Colorado loss. His focus was already under siege by a dozen things that he didn't have at UCF, things that are not just "the Nebraska job," but unique to Frost because of who he is, and his history here. 

What was supposed to be a triumphant return quickly turned into a quagmire. Some people are able to stay on top of all that. Frost wasn't one of those people.

I think Larry's death hit Frost harder than most here understood. If rumors are true he didn't deal with the aftermath all that well, and his focus on his job slipped. 

• Plus1 5

A few thoughts.

Severe says “It wasn’t about the losses” … What? It was absolutely about the losses. Coaches notoriously get away with all kinds of buffoonery if they’re winning. 

Severe says a tell all book about all these shenanigans would allow Trev to “walk away” and say “this is why” as if Trev is feeling some kind of heat for firing Scott? Does anyone truly believe Trev wasn’t justified in firing Scott? Why would he *need* a salacious tell all book? 

I’ve heard all the rumors, and never thought much about them because I heard the exact same stuff about Frank, Bill and Bo, so I just chalked it up as typical LNK gossip.

But what I really don’t understand is, if he truly wasn’t committed, didn’t care, phoned it in etc… why fire half your staff? Why go out and make some pretty excellent hires? Why restructure your contract? Why go through all of that when he could’ve just walked off with a payday last year? How was the team even as competitive as they were if everything was such a raging dumpster fire? 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 3
3 minutes ago, Fru said:

A few thoughts.

Severe says “It wasn’t about the losses” … What? It was absolutely about the losses. Coaches notoriously get away with all kinds of buffoonery if they’re winning. 

Severe says a tell all book about all these shenanigans would allow Trev to “walk away” and say “this is why” as if Trev is feeling some kind of heat for firing Scott? Does anyone truly believe Trev wasn’t justified in firing Scott? Why would he *need* a salacious tell all book? 

I’ve heard all the rumors, and never thought much about them because I heard the exact same stuff about Frank, Bill and Bo, so I just chalked it up as typical LNK gossip.

But what I really don’t understand is, if he truly wasn’t committed, didn’t care, phoned it in etc… why fire half your staff? Why go out and make some pretty excellent hires? Why restructure your contract? Why go through all of that when he could’ve just walked off with a payday last year? How was the team even as competitive as they were if everything was such a raging dumpster fire? 

I was really shocked by how many people used the "native son" garbage about why he shouldn't be fired.  My guess is TO finally gave his blessing to the firing.  

4 minutes ago, Fru said:

A few thoughts.

Well, that's not what Severe said, he says, "It's not all about the losses". You changed the context. You've changed the context of the TA comment too.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I was really shocked by how many people used the "native son" garbage about why he shouldn't be fired.  My guess is TO finally gave his blessing to the firing.  

Is the native son thing still a narrative right now though? I haven’t seen, heard or encountered one instance of someone thinking Scott shouldn’t have been fired. 

I also think TO’s influence or

opinion gets drastically overestimated. 

• Haha 1
41 minutes ago, Bigred_inSD said:

Not surprised. 

Issues at home more than likely 

And Frost probably took to recruiting the way some menbers of this board do

"We are Nebraska! Every kid should be want to be here, and we win with Nebraska kids"

I never fully got the story about what was going on with SF and his wife?  I caught bits and pieces on here but nothing ever addressed it directly or likely I just didn't see it.