Mike'l Severe rant on Scott Frost

308_Husker

26 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Anyone who is in the State, was there ever a positive interaction with him? 

Yes, absolutely. He was our neighbor between his NFL days and beginning his coaching career, and he'd be around in between jobs as well. He was a good neighbor, friendly and a bit chatty, loved showing off his chocolate labs. 

After Scott got the Oregon job, his parents moved in and lived there until Larry passed away in 2019. We'd see Scott and his wife come to visit most Sundays after he got the Nebraska job, loading and unloading baby seats into the car.

Larry and Carol were also very good neighbors, friendly in their way. Carol is very matter-of-fact, but she and my wife chatted quite a bit. Larry helped grade our back yard one year, free of charge. Helped take that from an overgrown prairie to useful grass. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

There is likely some element of truth to a lot of it.

But it seems likely that it's pretty exaggerated.  

Most of our top recruits report talking to Frost regularly.  So the only one that I have much insight on - "not making recruiting calls" - seems pretty dubious.

Thus I'm also skeptical about a lot of the rest of it.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

There's also lots of potential reasons if chunks are true. Maybe he was late to practice because he was hungover. Maybe he was having panic attacks because he could see this wasn't working. Maybe he really sucked at time management as a P5 head coach and decided he needed to be finishing some things up instead of being present at the start of practice. Who knows, but I don't even think it matters at this point - they can say "it wasn't just the losses" all they want, the losses are enough to justify it anyway.

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Most of our top recruits report talking to Frost regularly.  So the only one that I have much insight on - "not making recruiting calls" - seems pretty dubious.

I wonder if that's not specific to one or two players that Severe knows/knows a lot about, who ended up not coming to Nebraska. Legacy kids. I believe Severe is buddies with some of our former Huskers whose kids were in the recruiting cycle the last few years, yes?

• Plus1 3
Just now, knapplc said:

I wonder if that's not specific to one or two players that Severe knows/knows a lot about, who ended up not coming to Nebraska. Legacy kids. I believe Severe is buddies with some of our former Huskers whose kids were in the recruiting cycle the last few years, yes?

Like I said, there is probably some element of truth to a lot of it.  But it seems likely like it's being exaggerated, possibly to a significant extent.  Especially considering the source.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Just curious why Severe is not a "credible source"?

For me that dates back years and years. He made some claims about the program that people pushed back on and he went on a massive blocking spree on Twitter rather than discuss it. Very much like Lee Barfknecht, as I recall. 

It's not so much to do with his credibility as his personality. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

For me that dates back years and years. He made some claims about the program that people pushed back on and he went on a massive blocking spree on Twitter rather than discuss it. Very much like Lee Barfknecht, as I recall. 

It's not so much to do with his credibility as his personality. 

Yeah I can see that.