Mike'l Severe rant on Scott Frost

308_Husker

17 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Scott was simply in over his head. He probably succumbed to some pressures involving those in the circle that he associated with. He was accustomed to cutting softer wood so to speak then after arriving here things were substantially more tough. He was overwhelmed and didn’t have enough answers to overcome various hurdles.

This is kinda the end-all be-all for an explanation. Any rumors or stories are symptoms. I'm over it personally. Story's been written.

17 minutes ago, M.A. said:

It’s evident that we’ve made a number of mistakes with respect to coaching hires. Is there something broken at Nebraska? Perhaps it has something to do with influential involved in decision making processes? It’s not just the athletic directors that we like to tear apart.

That’s just my perspective. People had better take a good hard look at how they’re operating is adversely effecting what’s in our interest. We have got to get this one right.

I think Trev's the right guy for the season for two reasons - A Nebraska guy needs to tell Nebraskans that the past is behind the program, and he seems rational enough to put that into action. Hire someone process oriented. A grinder.

Do we have eager boosters? Yes. Did they involve themselves in personnel decisions? Likely. Will that continue based on the current trajectory? Seems that those decisions will be made by qualified candidates this cycle and in cycles to come. I don't think Whipple was a booster hire, for example. He's unsexy, process oriented, and doesn't generate buzz. 

4 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I gotcha. Fine i will say Scott's gone. Focus your time and energy into something that is present and not in the past. Lets move on to Oklahoma game and see if the defense is going to be better.

There's nothing wrong with discussing the Frost era. If you don't like the discussion, don't open the thread.

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Fru said:

Is the native son thing still a narrative right now though? I haven’t seen, heard or encountered one instance of someone thinking Scott shouldn’t have been fired. 

I also think TO’s influence or

opinion gets drastically overestimated. 

My father believes he needed more time. Believes the mess was really bad to clean up and he got a rough hand dealt with the lightning opening and then covid. I would add the transfer portal changed things too. 

Part of me wants to believe he may have gotten things figured out had he had time to adapt and had a better supporting cast to shoulder more of the responsibility but everytime I saw him on TV he just looked worn out. Sometimes you just need to step back and recover. Hope he does and I wish him the best.

• Plus1 1

I once heard, (not a typical source I would use), that Frost had an unusual relationship with the maid.  Not like a sexually based relationship, but more like a caretaker interaction.  Would do like puzzles with him, like she were "babysitting" him in a way.

Again, never heard anything else in that realm again, so I still question the validity.

• Plus1 1

I listen to DB's rant.  He is right though, if he would air dirty laundry, he would get buried for that too.

I was in Nebraska for the weekend.  Got back last night.  All of the rumors are out there and have been for a while.  I think now that XHCSF is gone.  It is probably right to move on.  Look, I have some access to stuff in a previous regime because of people I know, but it isn't anything new, just is a basis to back stuff up.  

Same here, some of what we hear is probably true.  If anything it just shows this:

He wasn't the right guy.

When we get the right guy, we can get to the point of competing in the West and playing for a few conference titles.

There is enough talent in Nebraska, if we can keep them home and develop them.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, M.A. said:

It’s evident that we’ve made a number of mistakes with respect to coaching hires. Is there something broken at Nebraska? Perhaps it has something to do with influential involved in decision making processes? It’s not just the athletic directors that we like to tear apart.

I think after roughly 40 years of success, the collective mindset was unprepared for what happened in 2002. It was such an outlier of a season, that no one knew how to handle it. You look at the history of every other blue blood from 1970 to 2002, all of them had a handful of down years. They knew that winning wasn’t always guaranteed and also not to panic when it happens. 

AD wise… Pederson was impulsive and unprepared. TO was never going to be the long term solution. Eichorst was emblematic of Perlman’s meddling. Moos was also not a long term solution and was seemingly asleep at the wheel.

Trev finally seems to be the steady leader we’ve needed for decades. 

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I was surprised to hear the things he said, and it also explains a lot.  After the disorganized clusterf#&% I watched on Saturdays the last 4+ years it checks out that the program he ran was a disorganized clusterf#&%. 

I almost feel vindicated for calling some of the nonsense into question, but it's not time to gloat.  It's time for all of us to rally around coach Mickey and hope for the best.

I so relate. 

So much of life and football are "all the small things" that can add up to more negative then you think.  In the end, like myself, you thought the "things" weren't big but to others they were.  The "kicker" is that you also knew they were important but because of your own selfishness and self-centeredness you be/do what you want and then when your stuff hits the fan it's someone else's fault.

As a fan, all I can with is all the times I was given the "coachspeak" where Scott said all the right things but then in games the person most inept or missing on the details was him.  And yet, as in in Shawshank Redemption, "he's innocent [a lawyer screwed me]".

We were always one play away, one recruit away ... and everyone was always improving and getting better.  4.5 years later he has all his guys in the right coaching spots, all his players of choice, the easiest of schedules ... and all the same culture issues.

Scott abused me as a fan.  I don't really care to bash him ... but I also have no need to enable or protect him.  He was 16-31 and got a two-year extension at 8-13 [what coach deserves that or gets enabled by a fan base in that way?].  He should feel grateful as one given all the entitlement from his past accomplishments from Husker Nation.  The "greatest fans" will still welcome him and receive him as a son, regardless of his shenanigans.  He's very fortunate ... and got paid top dollar for doing only a portion of what was expected from his character as our coach.

He will be just fine.

Go Mickey and Big Red!

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, Fru said:

AD wise… Pederson was impulsive and unprepared. TO was never going to be the long term solution. Eichorst was emblematic of Perlman’s meddling. Moos was also not a long term solution and was seemingly asleep at the wheel.

Trev finally seems to be the steady leader we’ve needed for decades. 

Agree.  I will say that Moos went out and hired the coaches almost everyone wanted.  He got the hot coach at the time.  It didn't work out for either of them.  Now, maybe part of that is because Moos didn't manage them well once they were here.  That very well could be.  One is fired and the other probably will be unless the BB program makes a massive turnaround this year.  I doubt that they do.  

But, back when they were hired, Moos did what we wanted him to do.

1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

Facebook, a lot of people who are "older"

OMG. Yes. It's a completely different world out there on generic social media. Open the comments section on any article about Frost's firing -- and there have been a lot of them --- and it's probably an even split. Some incredibly fiery Frost defenders and oddly enough, Trev haters. They also hate the haters, the impatient fans and mean-hearted media who always took sick pleasure beating Scott down. They argue that it takes YEARS to rebuild a program, and believe no good coach will want to come to a school that fires coaches. 

Near as I can tell, the folks who closely follow the team and know their college football are at the very least understanding of Frost's firing. The angry people don't know as much about the game, and tend to look at Nebraska Football as a national referendum on the state itself. 

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Agree.  I will say that Moos went out and hired the coaches almost everyone wanted.  He got the hot coach at the time.  It didn't work out for either of them.  Now, maybe part of that is because Moos didn't manage them well once they were here.  That very well could be.  One is fired and the other probably will be unless the BB program makes a massive turnaround this year.  I doubt that they do.  

But, back when they were hired, Moos did what we wanted him to do.

Very true. We were all ecstatic with his hires. Dead on with him not really managing them when they got here. Not that an AD had to micromanage every coach’s move, but I have to wonder how things would’ve gone if Scott had an AD like Trev from the beginning.