Mike'l Severe rant on Scott Frost

308_Husker

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

There's nothing wrong with discussing the Frost era. If you don't like the discussion, don't open the thread.

I never said there was anything wrong with discussing him did I? All I said was its so easy to bash or talk about someone behind their back when they aren't here anymore. SF had his chance to be the driver of the bus. But he lost his job as a driver. Now you start hearing stories as to him being distracted as the bus driver and this is why he lost his job. I don't care enough to speculate as to what factors led to him losing his job. He had his chance to drive and blew it. To me it doesn't matter why he blew it, he blew it move on. It doesn't do you or me any good to speculate as to why he didn't work. The reality of the fact Scott's not here anymore period.

3 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

I've heard the urban/grinder so many times and it's still so funny to me

He has talked about it many times.

• Plus1 1

I'm almost certain 50% of what is being shared at a high level about Frost is true.  Which is still substantial.  I won't go into details, but there is even more truth that certain people who wanted to be close to Frost offered gateways of help that weren't utilized.  Those who did offer this are stunned and amazed at how Frost could be so careless in the head seat of the school he loves.

Frost has flaws, as we all do.  We all deal with these differently.  It impacted Frost negatively.  He's a good person who almost felt obligated to save Nebraska.  Unfortunately, the flawed part of his personality didn't change and ended up impacting his dream job.  It's a shame, but he experiences the same flaws we all do.  For every person close to him who can't believe he couldn't manage himself through this opportunity, I am taking a more sympathetic understanding and hoping he can learn how to seek help for himself and change some of his habits for the better.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, Fru said:

I think after roughly 40 years of success, the collective mindset was unprepared for what happened in 2002. It was such an outlier of a season, that no one knew how to handle it. You look at the history of every other blue blood from 1970 to 2002, all of them had a handful of down years. They knew that winning wasn’t always guaranteed and also not to panic when it happens. 

AD wise… Pederson was impulsive and unprepared. TO was never going to be the long term solution. Eichorst was emblematic of Perlman’s meddling. Moos was also not a long term solution and was seemingly asleep at the wheel.

Trev finally seems to be the steady leader we’ve needed for decades. 

Thanks! Hopefully we’ve learned some lessons. It seems that we might have by some indications. I know too that the powers that be like to meddle and prod unrelentingly. 

I do feel better about Trev Alberts than Stevie and the energy bus guys. Lol My estimation is that Moos was a hired to carrying out marching orders. At least with respect to Frost. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I don't care enough to speculate as to what factors led to him losing his job. ... To me it doesn't matter why he blew it, he blew it move on. It doesn't do you or me any good to speculate as to why he didn't work. 

If it doesn't matter to you, fine. It matters to enough of us to discuss it. Nobody is forcing you to open these threads and complain that we're discussing this stuff.

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Well yeah, I guess it's time to move on. It's already been four days.

On the other hand, it's been 20 years since Solich's firing, and some folks remain unaware or disbelieving about the off-field stuff that figured into his dismissal (yes, probably overlooked if he hadn't gone 7-7) and prefer to believe we remain under the Solich Curse.

Is it unfair to kick Scott Frost while he's down? Or was he actually getting away with s#!t for too long? If you've ever been in the position of watching someone's private behavior not aligning with their public behavior, and less-informed people acting like they know the person better than you do, it's pretty frustrating.  

The only people who should really care at this point are the people who might want to hire Scott Frost. Knowing this stuff mitigates their risk. But if you call the HR Department, they are only authorized to give you the years of employment. So you always need to dig around and get the picture from multiple insiders. The gossip mill will go on. 

38 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Agree.  I will say that Moos went out and hired the coaches almost everyone wanted.  He got the hot coach at the time.  It didn't work out for either of them.  Now, maybe part of that is because Moos didn't manage them well once they were here.  That very well could be.  One is fired and the other probably will be unless the BB program makes a massive turnaround this year.  I doubt that they do.  

But, back when they were hired, Moos did what we wanted him to do.

I guess this all falls into the 'be careful for what you wish for' category.    On the surface we were blinded by Frost's UCF success and his link to our historic past.  But in a deeper, more honest look - we should have all asked the question - is Scott, after 2 seasons at UCF, really prepared to the meat grinder called Nebraska.  Perhaps Scott was the only one who could honestly answer that question.  And if the job became overwhelming to him and he recognized he was over his head, it was his responsibility/choice to either - get mentors (besides T.O.) or more accomplished DC/OC to help with the load or say - this isn't me and step away.  He has looked haggard for some time.  He probably knew/feared this day would come a long time ago.  I've been there before.  I've been at a job that was over my head.  The most stressful 3 years of my life.  I lived the Peter Principle once.  It is a relief personally when you step out of the stress pit and back into your giftedness/proper ability level.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gorp512 said:

Damon Benning, my favorite muse, is going IN on a holier than thou rant this morning. 

Just said we couldn't handle him telling what he knows. 

Ok, dude. 

Frost got fired for several reasons.  Benning like Severe is a douche bag with an axe to grind.  Incredible that people put stock in what these to idiots have to say.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
22 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Considering Frost is a morning guy and had the team practicing early every day, that allegation raised an eyebrow.

That was so he could golf in the afternoons obviously!! But seriously maybe he wasn't the first guy in the building, maybe he was late a couple times.  But these people are trying to make it out that he was showing up hungover and late every day and I just don't buy that. 

Just now, TGHusker said:

I guess this all falls into the 'be careful for what you wish for' category.    On the surface we were blinded by Frost's UCF success and his link to our historic past.  But in a deeper, more honest look - we should have all asked the question - is Scott, after 2 seasons at UCF, really prepared to the meat grinder called Nebraska.  Perhaps Scott was the only one who could honestly answer that question.  And if the job became overwhelming to him and he recognized he was over his head, it was his responsibility/choice to either - get mentors (besides T.O.) or more accomplished DC/OC to help with the load or say - this isn't me and step away.  He has looked haggard for some time.  He probably knew/feared this day would come a long time ago.  I've been there before.  I've been at a job that was over my head.  The most stressful 3 years of my life.  I lived the Peter Principle once.  It is a relief personally when you step out of the stress pit and back into your giftedness/proper ability level.  

Here's the thing though.  He was the hot coach nationally at the time.  There were other P5 programs that wanted him and we were all happy that he chose us over them.  

So, if the coaching and AD industry thought he was ready for a P5 program, then why wouldn't we?

So, fast forward to now, there will be hot coaching prospects being talked about at the end of this year when Trev is starting to decide who he wants.  Fans will be hoping we are in on one of those hot prospects.  Trev will try to get one of those hot prospects.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Farms said:

That was so he could golf in the afternoons obviously!! But seriously maybe he wasn't the first guy in the building, maybe he was late a couple times.  But these people are trying to make it out that he was showing up hungover and late and I just don't buy that. 

Agreed...and Trev did attend practice so I'm sure he would have noticed this.

3 hours ago, gorp512 said:

Damon Benning, my favorite muse, is going IN on a holier than thou rant this morning. 

Just said we couldn't handle him telling what he knows. 

Ok, dude. 

he does get that way sometimes, but to be fair to him, he's not entirely wrong.

you only need to see the reaction of people on forums to critical artices, or even the reaction when someone comes on the forum to give some not so glamorous info about the program. people don't even want to listen, they instead destroy the messenger. heck, even just pointing out that some specific coaches are bad at their jobs gets you burned at the stake. imagine what would happen if someone wrote about the rumours in the paper the week after we lost to illinois last year?

• Fire 2