Mike'l Severe rant on Scott Frost

308_Husker

Remember when we stopped speculating on Mike Riley, Bo Pelini, Bill Callahan, Frank Solich, Tom Osborne and Bob Devaney after we got new coaches? 

I've definitely moved on from Coach Bill Jennings. His penchant for drunken knife fights and Latvian prostitutes has no bearing on why he was fired after his 3 win season in 1961. 

• Plus1 3

I'm going to throw this out there- Covid alone led many people to experience depression, most for the first time in their lives. During this time period, not only did the entire staff have to adjust everything they were doing (essentially becoming powerless to recruit, host team practices, improve the team in general) but Frost was also clearly struggling to find the success he envisioned in his DREAM job. Have you ever been stuck in a situation where in spite of everything you do nothing goes right and it all seems out of your control? Frost tenure all the way back to the Akron game and into the Colorado game when Martinez gets hurt goes like that. A compounding issue for depression. Then his dad dies. Who hasn't experience depression after the death of a loved one? Add in the stress of needing to be present to help a spouse with a baby and that's a Mountain of stress all with potential depressive results. This would explain the rumors of family problems as well. I can imagine discussions at home about the wife needing more help with the baby etc. Drinking is a form of self medication. Depression would also explain the disheveled look at press conferences and the short answers as depression brain fog sets in. 

I am not a psychologist- but have suffered through depression myself when experiencing some of these very same factors without the weight of being the highest paid state employee, managing the states number 1 obsession in the most public way, in my dream job. I was stubborn thought strong people didn't need help and refused it until my wife didn't give me another option. I can imagine Frost being the same. IF- and that's a big if- Frost is going through the same, I hope that he has found or does find the help he needs. The feeling that your whole life is falling apart (even if it isn't) isn't a good one, and its a scary place to be. Knowing the whole state is gossiping and spreading rumors about slip ups you made while struggling mentally could totally be a compounding factor. I'll add when you're a "problem solver" with depression you think you can find your own solutions, when they each fail, one by one, it feels like quicksand dragging you down even further. 

I wish Scott had taken this job 10 years later, with his kids more grown, less stress at home, and covid behind us- I bet he does too. We can be disappointed with the results of Scott's tenure without tearing the man down. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gorp512 said:

He does not have a personality disorder. I don't know if you are a psychologist, but if you are, it is highly unethical to say something like that. 

I'm not, so no ethics violated on my side.

Edit: And I understand your point.  I'm not qualified to have suggested it.  it was completely stupid for me to have.  I'll leave this topic alone.    

55 minutes ago, GSG said:

Did I ever tell you about the time Scott Frost showed up at my daughter’s wedding? You know my daughter, she’s a beautiful girl. Well, Frost shows up and you know he’s a big fella. Well, he’s standing right between me and my daughter at the ceremony. He’s got no right to be there, but he’s drunk and he’s Frost. Well, long story short, the priest accidentally marries me and Frost. We spend the weekend in the Poconos — he loved me like I’ve never been loved before.

This is the most believable rumor in this thread.

21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I love how he goes out of his way to say several times that he didn't get anything for it, and that they don't really want to know this stuff, they are just doing their job but apparently he just got too much into it and all of the sudden he was just blurting things out.

And, yeah, he was exaggerating about things that he doesn't have any actual knowledge of but just ignore that part and believe him that the the basis of it (that he doesn't have any actual knowledge of and didn't bother talking about until now) is really what you need to take away from all that.

Bulls#!t.  You like to make a name for yourself so you go do an interview where you make stuff sound as juicy as you can.  Then you realize you screwed up and now you're trying to walk it back and act like you're just here to tell us what you know.

Again, that doesn't mean that there isn't anything to any of it.  But he is such a clown.  The Nebraska version of Colin Cowherd.

Winner!

I can't believe people still listen to Severe.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 2
8 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I'm going to throw this out there- Covid alone led many people to experience depression, most for the first time in their lives. During this time period, not only did the entire staff have to adjust everything they were doing (essentially becoming powerless to recruit, host team practices, improve the team in general) but Frost was also clearly struggling to find the success he envisioned in his DREAM job. Have you ever been stuck in a situation where in spite of everything you do nothing goes right and it all seems out of your control? Frost tenure all the way back to the Akron game and into the Colorado game when Martinez gets hurt goes like that. A compounding issue for depression. Then his dad dies. Who hasn't experience depression after the death of a loved one? Add in the stress of needing to be present to help a spouse with a baby and that's a Mountain of stress all with potential depressive results. This would explain the rumors of family problems as well. I can imagine discussions at home about the wife needing more help with the baby etc. Drinking is a form of self medication. Depression would also explain the disheveled look at press conferences and the short answers as depression brain fog sets in. 

I am not a psychologist- but have suffered through depression myself when experiencing some of these very same factors without the weight of being the highest paid state employee, managing the states number 1 obsession in the most public way, in my dream job. I was stubborn thought strong people didn't need help and refused it until my wife didn't give me another option. I can imagine Frost being the same. IF- and that's a big if- Frost is going through the same, I hope that he has found or does find the help he needs. The feeling that your whole life is falling apart (even if it isn't) isn't a good one, and its a scary place to be. Knowing the whole state is gossiping and spreading rumors about slip ups you made while struggling mentally could totally be a compounding factor. I'll add when you're a "problem solver" with depression you think you can find your own solutions, when they each fail, one by one, it feels like quicksand dragging you down even further. 

I wish Scott had taken this job 10 years later, with his kids more grown, less stress at home, and covid behind us- I bet he does too. We can be disappointed with the results of Scott's tenure without tearing the man down. 

Agree. We talk as if the personal side is none of our business, while at the same time dismissing possible reasons for Scott Frost's struggles as gossip. We just care about the football. Mixed message.

This isn't about arrogance and big egos in a head coach, either. That comes with the job. Sometimes it's just called "confidence" and doesn't require being an a$$h@!e. The problem is when the head guys think they don't have to change: they need everyone else to change or back the f off.

Given Frost's concessions to keep his job, I really thought this season was set up for legitimate redemption. If the problems only got worse, that's a story. If there's a tell-all book in this, I hope it's written by Scott himself.  

20 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I saw this posted earlier either in this thread or another..I also might've read it elsewhere that Frost's dad passing away really did a number on him which is 100% understandable.  From all accounts SF was really, really tight with his dad.

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Some of these comments remind me of a few years ago, when the late CM Husker claimed the rumors about Frank Solich couldn't be true because he once had a short conversation with Frank's wife, and she never once brought up her husband's alcoholism and infidelity. 

What in the hell is this new Rep? 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1