Mike'l Severe rant on Scott Frost

308_Husker

3 hours ago, runningblind said:

Anyone still believe "Frost cared more than anyone!" just because he was from Nebraska?  What you want to believe and what is true rarely line up. 

I was one who believed this. I’m not so sure anymore. I think he cared but it’s become very clear that he wasn’t doing the required things. It could be that I was bamboozled by his coach speak and/or he just didn’t know how or  wasn’t willing to put in the effort to match his words.

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, Husker_luver said:

This has been crazy. I was really in the dark on this. Just saw the hot mic video from Brenden Stai which was surprising to see from inside the University, not that I didn’t believe there was some fire to go with all the smoke. 

To be fair, while Stai is a University and Athletic Department employee, this leak was not "from the university" this was either leaked by someone from KLIN, or KLIN didn't realize they still showed things on Facebook Live during commercial breaks and a random guy listening online who recorded it.  I am sure Trev is frustrated that someone from inside the university allowed these comments to be made public, but it shouldn't result in any type of punishment from Trev.

I still don't know in what way people think these things should have been reported on.

You're a journalist in 2019 who has it on good authority that Frost misses practices. But that good authority won't go on the record? How are you supposed to print that as a story? Printing it without it being sourced and verified is the actual blogger stuff.

• TBH 2

2 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I still don't know in what way people think these things should have been reported on.

You're a journalist in 2019 who has it on good authority that Frost misses practices. But that good authority won't go on the record? How are you supposed to print that as a story? Printing it without it being sourced and verified is the actual blogger stuff.

"Unnamed sources within the organization say..."

"A member of the coaching staff, who requested anonymity said..." 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

To be fair, while Stai is a University and Athletic Department employee, this leak was not "from the university" this was either leaked by someone from KLIN, or KLIN didn't realize they still showed things on Facebook Live during commercial breaks and a random guy listening online who recorded it.  I am sure Trev is frustrated that someone from inside the university allowed these comments to be made public, but it shouldn't result in any type of punishment from Trev.

It wasn't leaked. The premise of the show is that they leave the mics on during breaks. They even advertise that they do it. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

Just now, knapplc said:

That's to presume everything they're being told is prefaced with "off the record," and that's not believable over two and a half decades. 

Of course, it's one factor at play among many, the biggest being how quickly and easily you'll lose access to the spaces that allow you a job.

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If fear of lost access is preventing these stories from coming out, that's a journalistic integrity problem.

It definitely is. There is a scenario where if certain journalists start digging that much and enough of them do, and enough of them get ex communicado, that eventually a new normal would emerge with more accountability.

But it's pretty unrealistic to expect or ask individuals to be the first ones to do that and fall on their sword.