Mike'l Severe rant on Scott Frost

308_Husker

Just now, Lorewarn said:

It definitely is. There is a scenario where if certain journalists start digging that much and enough of them do, and enough of them get ex communicado, that eventually a new normal would emerge with more accountability.

But it's pretty unrealistic to expect or ask individuals to be the first ones to do that and fall on their sword.

Not only is it not unrealistic, it's what they teach at UNLCOJ. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

To be fair, while Stai is a University and Athletic Department employee, this leak was not "from the university" this was either leaked by someone from KLIN, or KLIN didn't realize they still showed things on Facebook Live during commercial breaks and a random guy listening online who recorded it.  I am sure Trev is frustrated that someone from inside the university allowed these comments to be made public, but it shouldn't result in any type of punishment from Trev.

O no doubt, I was just saying the reality of it hit a bit different coming from a rep of the university (obviously not meant for the airwaves).

• Plus1 1

58 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I still don't know in what way people think these things should have been reported on.

You're a journalist in 2019 who has it on good authority that Frost misses practices. But that good authority won't go on the record? How are you supposed to print that as a story? Printing it without it being sourced and verified is the actual blogger stuff.

And the same people that will b!^@h that journalists weren't doing their job reporting on this stuff would largely be the same people calling it fake news if the media did report it without stating their sources.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Undone said:

I mean, I'd like to see Brendan step in and do something tangible to help improve the football program in some way. Like, anything.

He really didn't need to say any of this stuff to any outside sources, even if he was 100% sure the mic's weren't live.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Stai hasn't been given the authority to a coach, but he has a key role in fundraising for the football program.  I don't have a problem with what he said.  He's a successful alumni who knows what good football and good football coaching looks like.  He's frustrated with what happened under Frost and what he witnessed/or was told to by close friends.  It's natural to answer someone who asks him "have you heard of any shady stuff on what happened with Frost?"

• Fire 1
16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Stai hasn't been given the authority to a coach, but he has a key role in fundraising for the football program.  I don't have a problem with what he said.  He's a successful alumni who knows what good football and good football coaching looks like.  He's frustrated with what happened under Frost and what he witnessed/or was told to by close friends.  It's natural to answer someone who asks him "have you heard of any shady stuff on what happened with Frost?"

I just don't think it was productive.

And there's answering a question with all honesty, and then there's using tact to maybe hold back because you're in a public setting. Even if all involved thought the mic's weren't hot, I'll bet Stai probably wants that one back. Unless he just has his own bone to pick with Scott.

I agree with the angle of venting out of frustration though.

• Fire 1
20 hours ago, knapplc said:

If fear of lost access is preventing these stories from coming out, that's a journalistic integrity problem.

Daily White House reporters don't break the scandals. Woodward and Bernstein do.

National sports reporters get the inside from the local beat reporters who get it from their access. Then the national sports reporters break the story using "knowledgeable sources who requested anonymity." At which point we accuse them of stirring up bulls#!t to score clicks, maybe with a dollop of anti-Nebraska bias, and mock their "anonymous" sources as cowards. 

When the evidence is irrefutable and we find out we were wrong, we get mad at the media again and insist it's time to move on.  

It's not entirely a journalism problem. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah, I don't get this at all.  Stai isn't the problem.  Frost and his cronies were/are the problem.

Without getting too much into P/R territory, it's the same "blame the messenger, not the message" mindset that permeates a large subset of our culture today. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
26 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Without getting too much into P/R territory, it's the same "blame the messenger, not the message" mindset that permeates a large subset of our culture today. 

Back in my day, we welcomed bad news. Messengers with dire warnings were treated to a feast, and given rich gifts, alcohol and women.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1