Mike'l Severe rant on Scott Frost

308_Husker

3 minutes ago, thatguy said:

he does get that way sometimes, but to be fair to him, he's not entirely wrong.

you only need to see the reaction of people on forums to critical artices, or even the reaction when someone comes on the forum to give some not so glamorous info about the program. people don't even want to listen, they instead destroy the messenger. heck, even just pointing out that some specific coaches are bad at their jobs gets you burned at the stake. imagine what would happen if someone wrote about the rumours in the paper the week after we lost to illinois last year?

It just doesn't seem like rumors at this point, but fact. The media should report on facts. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Ulty said:

I'm gonna go on my own little "rant" here. Some of the gossip and rumors about Frost may or may not be true. I'm going to choose to not believe any of it without further evidence. As some posters have stated above, of course Frost's firing was about wins and losses. Is it possible that personal habits and personal issues contributed to a culture that has led to so many losses? Sure. Is it likely that Frost was simply in over his head and was not capable of a job of this magnitude? Obviously. Is it likely that he stopped caring, decided to slack off, and agreed to take a lot less money if the writing was already on the wall? I don't buy that. Of course he cared, he had more blood sweat and tears in this program than just about anyone. 

The simple answer is that Scott Frost tried and he failed. I'm not angry about it, I'm just sad. In comparison, I am still angry at Bill Callahan, because he tossed away so many of our old traditions and identities. I am still angry at Mike Riley (or at least at Eichorst for hiring him), because Riley never even deserved a shot at this job and never should have been here. But Scott Frost? Of course he deserved the shot. He belonged here. He not only recognized NU's history and traditions, but he was born into it, he lived it, and he delivered it as a player. He is the guy we all wanted when the time came. His shot was well-deserved, and it is absolutely horrible that it worked out the way that it did. 

But bashing him now, spreading unverified rumors, attacking his character...all unnecessary. It wasn't just the losses? No, the losses were enough. Oh, and now Benning knows some dirt? F**k off. This was Benning's teammate. Frost was the guy handing Benning the ball in the Orange Bowl in what I think was Benning's only start after being a career backup. Frost embodies Nebraska more than Damon Benning ever has or will, and Frost was far more successful in the football business than Benning ever was, despite Frost's failures as head coach at Nebraska. I'm not even defending Frost's character. I don't know what the man has or hasn't done in his personal life. But I think it is time to leave him alone. 

Tearing down Frost on a personal level is a bad look for anyone doing it. It doesn't make any of us better, it doesn't help the program, and it doesn't help us heal. Let's move on from Scott and see what Mickey can do. 

Narrator: Benning wasn't actually airing any dirt about Frost. In fact, Benning was actually protecting frost, even though he knew all the dirt.

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here's the thing though.  He was the hot coach nationally at the time.  There were other P5 programs that wanted him and we were all happy that he chose us over them.  

So, if the coaching and AD industry thought he was ready for a P5 program, then why wouldn't we?

So, fast forward to now, there will be hot coaching prospects being talked about at the end of this year when Trev is starting to decide who he wants.  Fans will be hoping we are in on one of those hot prospects.  Trev will try to get one of those hot prospects.  

all true points

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

It just doesn't seem like rumors at this point, but fact. The media should report on facts. 

When Lee Barfnecht and Dirk Chatelain reported dirty facts, how did the fanbase receive them? what does the fanbase think about them right now?

Hey, i'm on the side of reporting what's happening if it only helps the program get better, even if its bad stuff and "dirty laundry". so i agree that the media needs to be more honest and forthright. they probably deserve all the backlash that's coming their way today. if they knew these were some of the key reasons why the past 4 years were an ongoing disaster, they should have reported on them. that's what a reporter does. instead, they had fluff piece after fluff piece, even thought they knew of these deep issues.

but then again, i can understand why they would do that. they have families to feed, and they need clicks.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Benning and Sharp had Severe on this morning to discuss the "rant".  Severe admits he went a little hyperbolic in the interview on Sunday, but he explains himself well.  Here is a link. It's segment 5 of this morning's show.

https://1620thezone.com/sharp-and-benning-radio-replay/

Of course, since it seems many of the same fans put Benning and Severe in the same light, it probably won't do any good.

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, thatguy said:

you only need to see the reaction of people on forums to critical artices, or even the reaction when someone comes on the forum to give some not so glamorous info about the program. people don't even want to listen, they instead destroy the messenger. heck, even just pointing out that some specific coaches are bad at their jobs gets you burned at the stake. imagine what would happen if someone wrote about the rumours in the paper the week after we lost to illinois last year?

Benning is a lot closer and in the know than people want to believe or give him credit for.  His style probably causes consumers of his content to roll their eyes because he tends to tease more often than not, and tenured members of the Nebraska press ignore him completely.  He's a guy with a ton of info and a personality that doesn't allow him to retain secrets, but also prevents him from revealing them fully because he is self aware.  

The odds of him being sincere are a lot higher than what we are going to perceive collectively on this board.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
35 minutes ago, thatguy said:

This is true, but it doesn't mean that Severe is right. 

4 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Okay...so what if Frost was late a few times? 

What should bother folks more are the allegations that:

• Duval's S&C put a kid in the hospital right away and hasn't been up to snuff his whole tenure. 
  • Frost continually blew off the Adidas NCAA rep (who is more important than ever in the era of NIL) and negatively impacted our relationship with Adidas
  • Frost blew off recruiting calls which cost us recruits
  • Frost didn't fix his program when kids being drafted were told the program was an impediment to their NFL hopes (see: numerous upper classmen transfers)
  • Frost had personality issues with multiple assistants and couldn't stand being in the same room with them (including Chinander)

These things, to me, are significantly more damning than tardiness.  

It’s all about the central issue of negligence whatsoever the causes for it are. 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Considering Frost is a morning guy and had the team practicing early every day, that allegation raised an eyebrow.

This never made sense to me either. Weren't there articles years ago about him getting in at 4 or 5am and Verduzco had already beat him by an hour? We practiced early in the morning too. I'm sure he was late to a meeting and probably changed a few last minute. s#!t like that happens in any job.

Now, the "family" stuff isn't our concern (that's between him and those close to him), but staying out at the bars late seems plausible. Especially after he lost his father, and the stress he was under from the job. Been there myself (the crushing stress of a job you thought you'd be fired from), depression is an absolute b!^@h! Not to mention there's a certain close buddy of his that I've personally seen s#!t faced more than a couple times downtown after games. Doesn't seem like he had a good crowd around him.

18 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Okay...so what if Frost was late a few times? 

What should bother folks more are the allegations that:

• Duval's S&C put a kid in the hospital right away and hasn't been up to snuff his whole tenure. 
  • Frost continually blew off the Adidas NCAA rep (who is more important than ever in the era of NIL) and negatively impacted our relationship with Adidas
  • Frost blew off recruiting calls which cost us recruits
  • Frost didn't fix his program when kids being drafted were told the program was an impediment to their NFL hopes (see: numerous upper classmen transfers)
  • Frost had personality issues with multiple assistants and couldn't stand being in the same room with them (including Chinander)

These things, to me, are significantly more damning than tardiness.  

Where is any of this? Wasn't Chinander in his wedding?? 

• Plus1 1