More Excited Today or When Frost Was Hired?

teachercd

I can remember when the news hit that NU landed Frost and I was totally pumped but it was short lived with the lame cancellation game, trying to reschedule it for the next day (remember that?), then losing to CU...the excitement, looking back on it now, seemed short lived.

I think I might be more excited about Husker football now, a new search that is clearly going to be discussed for the next 2-3 months, then the actual hiring, the press conference, the speculation of all the new asst coaches...

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Definitely the day Frost was hired and it's not close for me.  At the time he was the most coveted coach, and a Nebraska alum at that.  I had never been more certain that Nebraska football was back.  Now we're faced with a long coaching search, where it's likely that the candidate won't be named for 2-3 months.  Talk about agonizing. For the record, I have a lot of confidence in Trev Alberts.  But the fact is I don't think there is one realistic coach out there that the entire fanbase will be even half as excited about as we were with Frost. 

• Plus1 4

It'll be hard to top the excitement when Frost was hired. Everyone locally and nationally considered it a home run. He landed his marquee recruit, and he had all the momentum after the big 2017 season. It ramped up even more when he beat Auburn in the bowl game.

I'm not excited for this to play out. It's a messy parting and I understand more is going to come out, personal stuff, and that won't be fun.

And there isn't a coach out there that excites people as much as the potential Frost showed in 2017. 

• Plus1 5

Few things will compare to the excitement of Frost being named head coach. Obviously it went off the rails, but boy did everything in the world seem right when it became official. 

I wouldn’t say I’m excited for the rest of the year, but it does feel a bit refreshing at the moment, kinda like a weight has been lifted. Expectations are low. If the offense continues to gel, I think there’s enough talent on this team for them to win a shootout or two. 

• Plus1 2

As noted above, the excitement with Frost was/is unmatched. The success he just had and the fact that the Huskers landed him/brought him home was great...for fans, the state, and former players.

I am not feeling great about what is going to be happening. I just do not have faith in the leadership that they will bring a high quality candidate in...assuming it is not Joseph. Time will tell I guess.

Frosty's hire still tops.  Now, if we land a massive catch like Urban coming to lincoln?  I think that'll come close to the frosty hype, if not surpass it.  I'd love a scenario where Urban is announced and we retain MJ as assist HC/HC waiting to be, to learn from urban for a few years and then step in when timing is right. 

For what its worth, I find the characterization of where the husker football program is today kind of comical.  Win/loss record, sure, I guess you can say we're in a worst spot than when frosty came in but id make the argument this team and program is in a much better place than when riley got canned. This isnt a rebuild, we aren't getting manhandled by big10 teams like we did in 2017 at the end of riley's reign.  We just need a funamentally sound coach, a professional and grown up, that knows how to run an operation this job requires.  Its the small details needed, not a massive overhaul.

We all bleed husker red, we aint frosty fan boys.  If trev does this right and we get a clear professional to be coach, I am confident the hype train will be rolling again in full force

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Fru said:

Few things will compare to the excitement of Frost being named head coach. Obviously it went off the rails, but boy did everything in the world seem right when it became official. 

I wouldn’t say I’m excited for the rest of the year, but it does feel a bit refreshing at the moment, kinda like a weight has been lifted. Expectations are low. If the offense continues to gel, I think there’s enough talent on this team for them to win a shootout or two. 

Yeah you make a good point and so do the others, it was viewed as pretty much the most perfect hire ever.

• Oh Yeah! 1

I'm more excited today.  I was hoping that Frost would do well but harbored some hesitations because of the inexperience plus G5 coaches are like lotto tickets.  I also have some friends that are boosters at Oregon by way of Nebraska and they didn't have a ton of love for SF.  Plus,  the way he failed *so* spectacularly means that all the folks who were adamant that there needed to be a 'Nebraska way' to do things now have to take a long look in the mirror/go lick their wounds.  NU now has a steady hand in the AD chair and while I probably won't agree with the HC choice, I can trust that the search will be methodically conducted, no stone will be left unturned nor any expense spared.

• Oh Yeah! 1

It's exciting that this head coaching search is so wide-open, but the discussion of the next head coach is going to get old.  I'm already over most of the discussion, as everyone is going to have their opinions on who they want hired, and they aren't willing to change those opinions.

The challenge with the next head coach is going that they probably won't have the unanimous support that Frost had when he was hired.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's exciting that this head coaching search is so wide-open, but the discussion of the next head coach is going to get old.  I'm already over most of the discussion, as everyone is going to have their opinions on who they want hired, and they aren't willing to change those opinions.

The challenge with the next head coach is going that they probably won't have the unanimous support that Frost had when he was hired.

As am I.  I hope this team pulls a few upsets and wins the winnable games so we can focus on the actual product at hand, which is the team.

Timing wise, we arent going to find out the new coach until December anyways, gonna be a long 2.5 months of rumor mill action

• Plus1 1

When Frost was hired, no question.  I was in HS through the mid-late 90's during the golden years, and I believed Frost would be the next Osborne for the program.

My father passed away in 2010, and Husker football was one of our stronger bonds.  I teared up during Frost's press conference as it represented a lot for me; loss and hope.

It's been disappointing over the last four+ years.  Hearing more about what Scott represented, I'm glad he's gone.  I can thank him for his time as a player but carry more optimism with him now gone.  Excitement, however?  Not close...when he was hired vs. the current stretch we're in.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1