More Excited Today or When Frost Was Hired?

teachercd

32 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

When Frost was hired, no question.  I was in HS through the mid-late 90's during the golden years, and I believed Frost would be the next Osborne for the program.

My father passed away in 2010, and Husker football was one of our stronger bonds.  I teared up during Frost's press conference as it represented a lot for me; loss and hope.

It's been disappointing over the last four+ years.  Hearing more about what Scott represented, I'm glad he's gone.  I can thank him for his time as a player but carry more optimism with him now gone.  Excitement, however?  Not close...when he was hired vs. the current stretch we're in.

I lost my father unexpectedly August 18 of this year.  Frost still gave us some hope up to the very day my dad left and we were excited to watch the games together this year, as we had done my entire existence.  There is nothing like the father and son bond of Husker support.  I feel you.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

Frost's hiring was a no brainer. We had every reason to be excited and seemingly nowhere to go but up after the 2017 season. "If Frost can't turn this around, no one can" was the cry as I recall. I didn't agree with it, but I knew we were lucky that the hottest hire in college football had Nebraska ties.

Right now I'm semi-excited. Definitely curious. Fairly optimistic. But expectations have been really hammered down from five years ago.

Honestly, I was pretty excited after Scott's first year. That 0-6 start was some sort of purging, and the team that finished 4-2 looked like they'd flipped the switch, and we'd be starting the 2019 season with a sophomore quarterback who was already getting Hesiman play, and hand-picked Frost recruits working their way into his system. 

Is it exciting when someone stops punching you in the face, or just a relief? 

• Plus1 1

Are you kidding?

The day we landed Frost was like being the biggest ugliest nerd in middle school and your best friend got super hot and went on to become Halle Berry. Then out of nowhere she comes back into your life and says she's always wanted to be with you.

This isn't even close. Not even a tiny bit close.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

I can remember when the news hit that NU landed Frost and I was totally pumped but it was short lived with the lame cancellation game, trying to reschedule it for the next day (remember that?), then losing to CU...the excitement, looking back on it now, seemed short lived.

I think I might be more excited about Husker football now, a new search that is clearly going to be discussed for the next 2-3 months, then the actual hiring, the press conference, the speculation of all the new asst coaches...

I’m excited to have a new HC but am dreading the process and the endless hot takes that will be posted hereabouts. Some people seem to live for the search but I can’t stand it.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

I lost my father unexpectedly August 18 of this year.  Frost still gave us some hope up to the very day my dad left and we were excited to watch the games together this year, as we had done my entire existence.  There is nothing like the father and son bond of Husker support.  I feel you.

Sorry for your losses gentlemen. I lost my Dad in 2017. We loved talking about sports. 

4 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Frosty's hire still tops.  Now, if we land a massive catch like Urban coming to lincoln?  I think that'll come close to the frosty hype, if not surpass it.  I'd love a scenario where Urban is announced and we retain MJ as assist HC/HC waiting to be, to learn from urban for a few years and then step in when timing is right. 

For what its worth, I find the characterization of where the husker football program is today kind of comical.  Win/loss record, sure, I guess you can say we're in a worst spot than when frosty came in but id make the argument this team and program is in a much better place than when riley got canned. This isnt a rebuild, we aren't getting manhandled by big10 teams like we did in 2017 at the end of riley's reign.  We just need a funamentally sound coach, a professional and grown up, that knows how to run an operation this job requires.  Its the small details needed, not a massive overhaul.

We all bleed husker red, we aint frosty fan boys.  If trev does this right and we get a clear professional to be coach, I am confident the hype train will be rolling again in full force

Urban is not coming to Nebraska !

3 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

Sorry for your losses gentlemen. I lost my Dad in 2017. We loved talking about sports. 

I am sorry to all as well.  Since we are all joining the lost Dad club, mine went in 2009.  I always chuckle imagining having a conversation about the Huskers today with him.  No Dad, we really are in the Big Ten.  Yes, we seriously haven't been to a bowl game in 6 years. :lol:

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

It'll be hard to top the excitement when Frost was hired. Everyone locally and nationally considered it a home run. He landed his marquee recruit, and he had all the momentum after the big 2017 season. It ramped up even more when he beat Auburn in the bowl game.

I'm not excited for this to play out. It's a messy parting and I understand more is going to come out, personal stuff, and that won't be fun.

And there isn't a coach out there that excites people as much as the potential Frost showed in 2017. 

I agree wt this 100%.     Right now, there is still a disappointment cloud hanging over us.  That puts a shadow over the next hiring - we've been here before and...

However, the excitement part of the new coach search for me now is that we can NOW FINALLY PUT THE 1990s TO REST & LEAVE IT BEHIND! 

Time to build a whole new coaching tree, an whole new legacy.  Trev has made it clear that he isn't tied by old Nebraska ties.  Time for a new Nebraska whatever that may look like.  

my Dad passed Jan 11th 2018 around the time that it was announced that Scott Frost going to be the new Head Coach.  

I had hopes as well as many Husker fans that this was going to be the righting of the ship.

Thunderstorms, Covid and all sorts of things seemed to rear their evil heads as if the football gods had it out for Nebraska and Frost. 

If it's one thing Nebraska always knew how to do, is overcome adversity.  However, Nebraska never really had that awakening victory.  The should wins were played to close 

other games Nebraska seemed to play down to their competition and almost not lose. 

I have a nervous excitement with Mickey Joseph.  This is more than just a fill in for a bowl game.  this is the opportunity to finish out the season the right way. 

I am hoping to see a fire in the eyes of the Cornhuskers that hasn't been there for a while 

Excitement over Frost hire vs Frost fire?

Easy, Frost hire although I was one of a small number of had more concerns about Frost being ready for the job. 

Frost did some good things but it seems clear that, overall, the program has declined considerably.  Not just wins.  

Mickey is mostly a 911 First Responder at this point.   Not sure what he can be expected to do but try to keep the team a team.   Wins are but a bonus I guess.  It’s totally unfair to MJ to hold the residue against him absent clear blunders (not likely).   On the other hand, should he find a magic solution, I guess he deserves some big credit.  I expect the offense to continue to Whip along. Competition gets tougher so # big numbers should fall off some but the offense despite line struggles is better.  

Defense is just plain mind boggling.   Issues are mental / confusion stuff. They can fix this if the lights come on.  I suspect it’s LB confusion but idk really.   Need turnovers and some sacks. 

STs is better.  Need to start making FGs and keep coverage errors down.  

I'm pretty much not excited about Husker football at all at this point. I'm not that hopeful that Alberts really knows what he's doing and will land some amazing coach.

What will make me excited is this time hiring a proven college football coach that has had lots of success in a Power 5 conference. No up & comers, no more former Husker greats with practically zero head coaching prowess, and definitely no Bill Callahan's.

And the guy has to bring in a good pair of coordinators, not just bring in his nobodies that are with him now.

It can't be as hard as we've made it look when the money is there to pay the man.