Chinander's Role

Hagg

38 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

in the blackshirts thread, I’ve shown multiple clips of plays where it appears certain players have no clue what they are to do.  This is at all levels of the defense. So, is that on the position coach’s? Or the coordinator?

assuming all the above. But, I’m dumbfounded as to why it’s so bad this year. 

That's me for the entire Frost experiment.  How do we play the schedule last year and go 0-7 (IIRC) in 1 score games.  Against OU, OSU, Michigan etc in that slate.  I truly can not point to one specific thing and say "fix this" and we win.  Still struggle on OL, run fits, coverage, PA defense...And it goes on and on...That's what is making it so hard IMHO, what do you fix?  And how do you fix it.

• TBH 1

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm simply saying that Chinander is still the acting DC.  I thought you were disputing that.

No.  He’s the salaried DC.  But I’m liking the way MJ is moving chess pieces around.  I’m very much looking forward to Saturday.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

in the blackshirts thread, I’ve shown multiple clips of plays where it appears certain players have no clue what they are to do.  This is at all levels of the defense. So, is that on the position coach’s? Or the coordinator?

assuming all the above. But, I’m dumbfounded as to why it’s so bad this year. 

I wonder if we hit the portal hard, brought in these new guys that replaced some pretty fine athletes that had been around awhile, and then spent zero time acclimating them to the team. This isn’t the pro’s-can’t expect to plug and play new guys every year without an introductory period. Hard for both the new guys and the existing guys

• TBH 1

On 9/14/2022 at 3:02 PM, floridacorn said:

There seems to be hope bigger changes will be made in bye week, but why give Chins more responsibility if that’s the case?

it’s clear the safeties need more attention.  There have been numerous busted coverages and missed tackles at the position.  But, it’s a very interesting move for other reasons.  Chins has zero experience coaching the position, & 2 of the top 3 S’s are converted CB’s.  

Busch has considerable experience with safeties, seems more qualified to help us out there. I'd rather have Chin focus on how we're getting exploited and get to work on fixing it. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1

I like how he said he cut off the music in practice.  I always thought that was weird.  I get maybe to simulate game experience but when you see clips of guys dancing around and singing along in practice it means they aren't paying attention.  Kids these days have short enough attention spans you don't need to give them any more reason not to pay attention.  Especially when there have been so many times when there have been detail oriented mistakes with this team.  Also the getting in and out of drills.  From some of the clips I've seen over the years they break then jog to whatever they are doing next.  From Hs to college it was always a dead sprint to your next drill.  Will any of this actually help?  who knows, but I like it.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Kids these days have short enough attention spans you don't need to give them any more reason not to pay attention.

I think we're on to something here. I think what I hear you saying is that we need to give the guys these things to help them focus during practice:

5b0dae8dccc507001065963d48b9fc6e_w200.gi