Chinander's Role

Hagg

There have been linebackers and safeties that are biting on stuff and getting pulled badly out of position - it's worst at inside linebacker. There's not a lot of good gap responsibility and there's also just some "deer in the headlights" stuff going on for sure.

I'm not sure that's a talent issue. I'd say instincts - like what JoJo had - fall under the category of talent. And maybe we're lacking some of that out there.

But I'm seeing some guys just playing scared & confused and I think that can be helped quite a bit by coaching. There are absolutely five winnable games remaining on the schedule and with some better focus and maybe just some different techniques and better live drilling these guys during the week I really believe it can be much better than what we've seen.

The offense's ceiling is so high that we can win these five games without some kind of drastic improvement on defense...we just need some improvement.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I like how he said he cut off the music in practice.  I always thought that was weird.  I get maybe to simulate game experience but when you see clips of guys dancing around and singing along in practice it means they aren't paying attention.  Kids these days have short enough attention spans you don't need to give them any more reason not to pay attention.  Especially when there have been so many times when there have been detail oriented mistakes with this team.  Also the getting in and out of drills.  From some of the clips I've seen over the years they break then jog to whatever they are doing next.  From Hs to college it was always a dead sprint to your next drill.  Will any of this actually help?  who knows, but I like it.

I've had the same thoughts on music during practice.  Ok, you want noise to simulate game noise.  Why not use game noise?  Or....if coaches saw players dancing around and singing to the music, wouldn't they get on their a$$ about paying attention and working harder?  Wouldn't letting them do that defeat the purpose of using noise to make them concentrate more?

It's one of those things that if we were winning 9-10 games a year....so what, have fun.  But, we aren't.

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Unless we get better players on the DL and at LB, I am not sure how much a scheme change will help.

If you watch our ILBs, a decent amount of the time they are not even being blocked, just not getting to the play.

There were comments earlier about players getting out of the gap they were supposed to be in.  So perhaps they are staying in the right gap and one of the DLs is getting out of their gap.  Maybe they are not on the same page about who is supposed to be in which gap.  

But I do think it's entirely possible that changing the scheme up could lead to better coordination/less confusion and help a lot.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

If you watch our ILBs, a decent amount of the time they are not even being blocked, just not getting to the play.

There were comments earlier about players getting out of the gap they were supposed to be in.  So perhaps they are staying in the right gap and one of the DLs is getting out of their gap.  Maybe they are not on the same page about who is supposed to be in which gap.  

But I do think it's entirely possible that changing the scheme up could lead to better coordination/less confusion and help a lot.

Yep, here is a prime example.  Either the Nickel or the DL was in the wrong gap.  Hard to tell who.  But, my guess is the Nickel.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

Their center just steps up and takes Mauga-Clements out of the play also. Kolarevic thinks the runner is coming into his gap way too early.

The back goes to the left A gap and because their center has taken our other ILB out, he's off to the races.

And since Caleb Tannor has almost never in his entire career taken on an offensive tackle from a non-blitz half stance this is another example IMO of just completely misusing our outside backers. 

Where we look really bad is when teams motion their back out and then go 5 wide but then run it inside. We have to keep one inside linebacker home to defend against the run.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

19 minutes ago, Undone said:

Their center just steps up and takes Mauga-Clements out of the play also. Kolarevic thinks the runner is coming into his gap way too early.

The back goes to the left A gap and because their center has taken our other ILB out, he's off to the races.

And since Caleb Tannor has almost never in his entire career taken on an offensive tackle from a non-blitz half stance this is another example IMO of just completely misusing our outside backers. 

Where we look really bad is when teams motion their back out and then go 5 wide but then run it inside. We have to keep one inside linebacker home to defend against the run.

Isn't that what Colorado did when they hung 62 points on us back in 2001?  I seem to remember UCLA doing this against Pelini over and over again.  Northwestern was doing the same thing.  Other teams motion their backs out and their defenses don't get torched.  Why do we seem to have such an issue playing against this scheme?

• TBH 1

I can’t break down all the defensive fails like a pro (I am not one btw nor do Inpretend to be one, even on TV), but unconventional offense is sometimes hard to stop using mostly a conventional (base) defense.  Too simplistic I know but. Hope we try to find some new wrinkles to be more disruptive defensively.  Maybe we just need to guess better!   Lol

Chin and this bunch of coaches, analysts and all the ‘experts’ on this board will get it figured out, possibly?   Otherwise, the fans will get to ‘enjoy’ the OU offensive juggernaut live and in person tomorrow!   

• TBH 1
5 hours ago, Undone said:

There have been linebackers and safeties that are biting on stuff and getting pulled badly out of position - it's worst at inside linebacker. There's not a lot of good gap responsibility and there's also just some "deer in the headlights" stuff going on for sure.

I'm not sure that's a talent issue. I'd say instincts - like what JoJo had - fall under the category of talent. And maybe we're lacking some of that out there.

But I'm seeing some guys just playing scared & confused and I think that can be helped quite a bit by coaching. There are absolutely five winnable games remaining on the schedule and with some better focus and maybe just some different techniques and better live drilling these guys during the week I really believe it can be much better than what we've seen.

The offense's ceiling is so high that we can win these five games without some kind of drastic improvement on defense...we just need some improvement.

I think I'd pump the brakes on saying the offense's ceiling is high until after Saturday.  I suspect the offensive line is going to crumble against good teams and we are gonna start seeing quick 3 and outs. Grant can't do it all on his own when actaul defenses are on the other side, and not the 3 easiest games on our schedule.  Things could get ugly with quick possessions on offense and this defense being forced out there a ton.

• TBH 1
2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I think I'd pump the brakes on saying the offense's ceiling is high until after Saturday.  I suspect the offensive line is going to crumble against good teams and we are gonna start seeing quick 3 and outs. Grant can't do it all on his own when actual defenses are on the other side, and not the 3 easiest games on our schedule.  Things could get ugly with quick possessions on offense and this defense being forced out there a ton.

To be clear, I don't think we have any real chance of winning against Oklahoma.

But I don't think it's a bold statement to say that it seems like the offense's ceiling is high. Now having Teddy potentially be out for the whole year is a big loss. 

We probably have the highest level of skill players on offense in the Frost era this season, and there's some depth there also. But I agree that the offensive line could just as easily fold and screw the whole thing.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I think I'd pump the brakes on saying the offense's ceiling is high until after Saturday.  I suspect the offensive line is going to crumble against good teams and we are gonna start seeing quick 3 and outs. Grant can't do it all on his own when actaul defenses are on the other side, and not the 3 easiest games on our schedule.  Things could get ugly with quick possessions on offense and this defense being forced out there a ton.

I am hoping that Whip has enough experience to dial up plays that makes a defense pay when they pin their ears back play after play.  Maybe we see some 2 back sets with AA and AG.  I'd use Brewington at TE a lot as he seems to like blocking.  

• TBH 1
1 minute ago, lo country said:

I am hoping that Whip has enough experience to dial up plays that makes a defense pay when they pin their ears back play after play.  Maybe we see some 2 back sets with AA and AG.  I'd use Brewington at TE a lot as he seems to like blocking.  

I don't doubt he can dial stuff up, I simply doubt the offensive line can execute well enough against good teams for that to matter consistently.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
10 minutes ago, Undone said:

I don't think it's a bold statement to say that it seems like the offense's ceiling is high.  We probably have the highest level of skill players on offense in the Frost era this season, and there's some depth there also.

Okay.  If you have a handle on who and what positions these highest level skill players are, along with a bit of depth in those positions, what sort of plays should we be running for success?  Anything new?  Anything we've seen but need more of?  It's an honest curiosity, as we've driven downfield several times in every game and racked up yards and points enough to win.  Do we run that same stuff?  Do we honestly need to make many changes at all on offense (other than O-line discipline)?

The mirror image of my questions about that have to do with the D nearly always giving up enough yards/points to lose games in which we've scored plenty of points.  So that is the Chinander conundrum and wrt to his hopefully diminishing role. 

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Stanley Morgan and JD Spielman would like to have a chat with you.

I definitely had both of them in mind when I made the comment.

But on this team you've got two dynamic runners, one of whom is in my opinion quite a bit better than senior year Devine Ozigbo or true freshman Maurice Washington. Palmer is on Morgan's level IMO, and then you've got Marcus Washington, Oliver Martin, and Alante.

Vokolek's injury hurts this team quite a bit though right now for sure.