Chinander's Role

Hagg

There seems to be hope bigger changes will be made in bye week, but why give Chins more responsibility if that’s the case?

it’s clear the safeties need more attention.  There have been numerous busted coverages and missed tackles at the position.  But, it’s a very interesting move for other reasons.  Chins has zero experience coaching the position, & 2 of the top 3 S’s are converted CB’s.  

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, admo said:

No, No, No... it is interesting, but I think we all got it wrong.

I believe EC is a good coach, smart, and with different schemes in the playbook, but he hasn't had the flames rising up into his a$$ with XHCSF.  I mean, the former head coach wasn't concerned about the Special Teams thru 4 years, and he pretty much wasn't too deeply invested in the Defense as well.

Here's the point.  Let's see what he do.  The challenge and expectation for EC to pull it together for the Blackshirts is on the table.  If he is good at what he do, with pressure on him to do get it together, than he is a good coach.  If he isn't, then we will see something very similar to what we have seen.

I think the challenge is there.  I am not expecting overnight miracles against OU, but after the bye week, it better be put together by the time we hit the Big Ten games.  Otherwise, buh-bye - and he know it.

:HotTake:

So we don't know if he's a good defensive coordinator because prior to Sunday he hadn't "had the flames rising up into his a$$?"

He gave up 528 yards to Northwestern and 642 to a Sun Belt team. I'm preeeeetty sure he's a s****y coach.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, floridacorn said:

There seems to be hope bigger changes will be made in bye week, but why give Chins more responsibility if that’s the case?

it’s clear the safeties need more attention.  There have been numerous busted coverages and missed tackles at the position.  But, it’s a very interesting move for other reasons.  Chins has zero experience coaching the position, & 2 of the top 3 S’s are converted CB’s.  

He’s the DC, he sure as hell should know what the safeties are supposed to be doing in any situation. He can lean on Fish if he needs help with technique.

I think it makes a lot of sense to put safeties on his plate. The problem is either his scheme or players not doing what they’re supposed to do. Make him responsible for both, as the DC should be. If guys aren’t maintaining gap integrity, that’s his issue to solve. Get R done or get the hell gone.

2 hours ago, floridacorn said:

Coincidently, Bill Busch is also a secondary coach and on staff already…

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Who ?

Chinander is the salaried DC.  MJ modified his role to coach mainly the safeties, moving the Fish guy to more of what Chin used to do.  <---This is the way I understand it going by Coach Mickey's remarks.  He wanted that to happen mainly, it appears.  I see it as diminishing Chin's role with the D.  Some don't see it that way but I can't help but see that he wanted to do that as the safeties have not been the D's problem so much as overall direction of the entire D itself, so he's shuffling a bit to try to make it function better.  The Fish to nickels and corners seems more of the same.