Nickel Spot

theknife

I am wondering if we have played any nickel or dime coverage this year? Are the only options we have at nickel being Gifford, Wright, and Kolarevic? Looking at the PFF grades/snaps vs. GSU, Gifford played the majority of them and clearly is a liability on slot WRs. Surely we have DBs practicing a traditional nickel package?

Just now, theknife said:

I am wondering if we have played any nickel or dime coverage this year? Are the only options we have at nickel being Gifford, Wright, and Kolarevic? Looking at the PFF grades/snaps vs. GSU, Gifford played the majority of them and clearly is a liability on slot WRs.

We've primarily been in Nickel as the base defense this year.  That's why Gifford has gotten so many snaps.  Kolarevic played some snaps at that spot against NW, but moved back to MLB when Henrich was out against ND and GSU.

• Plus1 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

We've primarily been in Nickel as the base defense this year.  That's why Gifford has gotten so many snaps.  Kolarevic played some snaps at that spot against NW, but moved back to MLB when Henrich was out against ND and GSU.

Right, but to clarify my question. Do we simply not have DBs practicing in a nickel package? The staff is asking Gifford to be Jojo when he clearly is not.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, theknife said:

Right, but to clarify my question. Do we simply not have DBs practicing in a nickel package? The staff is asking Gifford to be Jojo when he clearly is not.

Gifford is "Nickel" back.  That's the position name.

Now, I would agree that I would like more "DB-like players" at the position (especially when going up against GSU), but they must think that someone like Gifford is the best combo of LB and DB that they are looking for.

8 minutes ago, huskerfan702 said:

This might be the most backwards concept in the sport. As much as teams throw option routes and quick stuff in the slot we put an extra body that can’t cover

That might say something about the slot receivers NU uses on offense, as Gifford or Koralevic must have been covering them well enough in practice, but struggle in the games.  They also may have wanted Nickels who could do a better job supporting the run, because they knew they may need another LB-type guy in the box.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That might say something about the slot receivers NU uses on offense, as Gifford or Koralevic must have been covering them well enough in practice, but struggle in the games.  They also may have wanted Nickels who could do a better job supporting the run, because they knew they may need another LB-type guy in the box.

Maybe and maybe but I don’t see this concept being used in too many other places but definitely not by the NFL or teams competing at a highly level in college. No matter how it’s justified it’s been a handicap. 

Just now, huskerfan702 said:

Maybe and maybe but I don’t see this concept being used in too many other places but definitely not by the NFL or teams competing at a highly level in college. No matter how it’s justified it’s been a handicap. 

I agree with you.  It also may be due to facing more run-first teams in the Big Ten, which doesn't always work against Georgia State or Oklahoma.  It's too bad they don't have a more cornerback-style player which can play in the Nickel when facing more pass-heavy teams.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree with you.  It also may be due to facing more run-first teams in the Big Ten, which doesn't always work against Georgia State or Oklahoma.  It's too bad they don't have a more cornerback-style player which can play in the Nickel when facing more pass-heavy teams.

I think jojo was able to make it work and he was locked in to replicate it. With all the possible options I can’t see enough positives to put Gifford or kolarevic on the field at all. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, huskerfan702 said:

I think jojo was able to make it work and he was locked in to replicate it. With all the possible options I can’t see enough positives to put Gifford or kolarevic on the field at all. 

Yep, there is a reason JoJo was able to make a NFL roster.  But, again, this goes back to lack of depth and roster development which has been a huge issue under Frost and his staff.  They don't have the ability to put in a CB-style player at the "Nickel" because they haven't been able to develop one.

• Fire 1

29 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That might say something about the slot receivers NU uses on offense, as Gifford or Koralevic must have been covering them well enough in practice, but struggle in the games.

If true, then it really says something about what kind of s***ty coach Erik Chinander is.

Gifford has been pretty solid in pass coverage.  I have seen him make several plays a game.  Not so sure he can come up and make a tackle in space; he is kinda small.

Koralevic has more experience, is bigger and stronger.  But the results with him on the field have been awful most of the time.  Def not a guy to get it done in space.

I think we really missed out with this position, and wonder if that is why we saw Nelson running into the flat on pass plays.  

JoJo is different, and was a pro at it.  Which means it is unfair to say "next man up can do it".   And so far, no one can do it.