How many regular season games does Mickey Joseph have to win to be given the job?

How many regular season wins does Nebraska need for MJ to be hired as new HC?  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If he only loses to OU or Michigan then Trev will be forced to keep him. I am rooting for him, but it's no secret that Trev was reaching out to coaches last year, and unless Mickey sets the world on fire and we go on a tear, I think he already has a pretty dang good idea who's interested and probably even has it narrowed down to a pretty short list

• Plus1 1

That's going to be the next conflict. If he leads us to a bowl game, there are going to be some fans who want to keep him, and others who don't. On top of that, if he doesn't get the job, Nebraska is going to be labeled as racist... his wife already has a bad taste in her mouth.

For the record, I chose 7. That means he'd have to win 6 of the final 8, and it would ensure a winning season.

6 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

That's going to be the next conflict. If he leads us to a bowl game, there are going to be some fans who want to keep him, and others who don't. On top of that, if he doesn't get the job, Nebraska is going to be labeled as racist... his wife already has a bad taste in her mouth.

For the record, I chose 7. That means he'd have to win 6 of the final 8, and it would ensure a winning season.

I choose 7 also, that would be a monumental effort and he would deserve the full time job.  I'm expecting a 30 point loss on Saturday, but then there are 3 winnable games after that to build momentum and see how November goes. 

Honestly I think 6 would do it also after how this season started.  I don’t see it happening but would be happy to keep him if he flips the script.

I'm convinced,  changing my vote to 6.

Edited by runningblind
Nah, 7.
38 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

That's going to be the next conflict. If he leads us to a bowl game, there are going to be some fans who want to keep him, and others who don't. 

I think he gets it with a bowl appearance.  If he manages to pull that off and it's between Mickey and someone like Campbell, I'd just as soon stick with Mickey.

A bowl game is a longshot, though.

• Plus1 3

I think 6 (counting the one W we have) and a bowl. What better "interview" can MJ really have than interim HC.  Frost's best year was 2019 at 5-7.  With his staff, players, scheme, etc.....MJ goes 6 and a bowl, he does it without his staff, recruits, as an interim, with little to no ability to really "change" anything.  I'd love a BIG hire like Urbs, Stoops (either one) etc....But 6 wins would be a huge get for NU at this juncture.  Remaining schedule:

OU

Indiana

Rutgers 

Purdue

Illinois

Minnesota

Michigan

Wisky

Iowa

What 5 games do you really see us winning.  It would be nothing short of phenomenal.  Frost hasn't beat Wisky, Iowa or Michigan.  1-3 against Minnie and Purdue, 2-2 against Illinois.  MJ gets to 6 wins, 4-5 could be against B1G teams.  He gets 5 B1G wins that's 1/2 of Frosts 4 year total of 10.....I'm assuming there is potential to beat a ranked team in there.  Frost is 0-14 against ranked teams.  MJ could beat one and best Frost again after 4 years.  It would show the dude knows how to coach and adjust on the fly.

Dabo-Great Recruiter (recruiting coordinator) and WR coach (sound familiar, took over game 7 of the 2008 season.  Tigers had already won 3 prior to him getting the interim tag.  He won 4.  Ironically lost to NU.....9-5, 6-7, 10-4 and then never looked back.  Dabo was at Clemson 5 years prior to interim HC, MJ 5 seasons at LSU as receiver coach....A lot of similarities between the two....Like scary...

• Plus1 1

Imo he should not be given the job.  Even 9’wins.  I think if Trev has a short list of the most qualified coaches, it’ll be tough cause he may have the coach hired by Nov 1 or sooner.   It depends on the competition.  Many of the coaches referenced have better resume.  MJ has one distinct advantage.  He gets to have the trial run.  Wins are a factor but MJ’s best shot is to show leadership, FB smarts in terms of strategy, game management, practice conduct, media relations, staff oversight, etc.  wins and losses are maybe less a factor for this year for this team. Trev knows how bad the team is so he knows Mickey can only do so much.  Intangibles.  Most fans won’t really see the things Trev sees.  He may see a better HC than we ever do or vice versa.

Same with interviews and private references etc. with every candidate.  We won’t know any of them except the one hired nor likely the reason(s) pro and con. Rightly so imo. 

2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Imo he should not be given the job.  Even 9’wins.  I think if Trev has a short list of the most qualified coaches, it’ll be tough cause he may have the coach hired by Nov 1 or sooner.   It depends on the competition.  Many of the coaches referenced have better resume.  MJ has one distinct advantage.  He gets to have the trial run.  Wins are a factor but MJ’s best shot is to show leadership, FB smarts in terms of strategy, game management, practice conduct, media relations, staff oversight, etc.  wins and losses are maybe less a factor for this year for this team. Trev knows how bad the team is so he knows Mickey can only do so much.  Intangibles.  Most fans won’t really see the things Trev sees.  He may see a better HC than we ever do or vice versa.

Same with interviews and private references etc. with every candidate.  We won’t know any of them except the one hired nor likely the reason(s) pro and con. Rightly so imo. 

If he wins 9 games and does NOT get the job, I am glad I am the one not having to explain to America why a minority coach who took a dumpster fire and went undefeated did not atleast get a 2 year contract. And the questions surrounding this would be completely justified. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1