How many regular season games does Mickey Joseph have to win to be given the job?

How many regular season wins does Nebraska need for MJ to be hired as new HC?  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's the thing.  Mickey is in a no lose situation.  He wants the job.  So, if he's successful over the next 9 games, he has a chance of getting it.  If he's not, he's still one of the top WR coaches in the country and will get a job at that or higher (OC or HC) somewhere.  

He can go into this loose and with the energy to keep the team loose and playing hard.  He loves Nebraska and wants it to succeed.  So, he's going to have that passion behind him.  

Win, and he's Nebraska's hero.  Lose, and we still appreciate that he was here and tried in a very difficult situation.

I hate to say it, but I don't think Mickey gets the job, even if he wins a National Championship. He *should* get it if he can get us at least five or more wins...

...but let's be honest. Without delving into the Politics and Religion board discussions too far, Nebraska has some conservative "boosters of substance" that have problems with people of color. The racism isn't nearly as overt as, say, University of Texass' openly racist boosters, but they're there, and Trev has to kowtow to them. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I hate to say it, but I don't think Mickey gets the job, even if he wins a National Championship. He *should* get it if he can get us at least five or more wins...

...but let's be honest. Without delving into the Politics and Religion board discussions too far, Nebraska has some conservative "boosters of substance" that have problems with people of color. The racism isn't nearly as overt as, say, University of Texass' openly racist boosters, but they're there, and Trev has to kowtow to them. 

What?  No.

If Mickey is successful this year, there is a point where he would have the job and the vast majority of Nebraskans would embrace him.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

What?  No.

If Mickey is successful this year, there is a point where he would have the job and the vast majority of Nebraskans would embrace him.

I think the only acceptable black head coach for NU fans in the past would have been Turner Gill.  I would embrace Mickey, but a lot of NU fans wouldn't.  Mickey is a much different guy than Gill.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think the only acceptable black head coach for NU fans in the past would have been Turner Gill.  I would embrace Mickey, but a lot of NU fans wouldn't.  Mickey is a much different guy than Gill.

Yep. I've already heard some fans b!^@hing because the interim HC is a "black guy" 

Pretty sad 

• Plus1 4

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Wow.  It's been 5 days, and he hasn't even lost a game yet.

Lol, well where I'm from there's a lot of people that are like that. Same people who love Tommie Frazier on the field but he's POS outside of that cuz he's black 

• Plus1 3

52 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here's the thing.  Mickey is in a no lose situation.  He wants the job.  So, if he's successful over the next 9 games, he has a chance of getting it.  If he's not, he's still one of the top WR coaches in the country and will get a job at that or higher (OC or HC) somewhere.  

He can go into this loose and with the energy to keep the team loose and playing hard.  He loves Nebraska and wants it to succeed.  So, he's going to have that passion behind him.  

Win, and he's Nebraska's hero.  Lose, and we still appreciate that he was here and tried in a very difficult situation.

If you look at some of Mickeys backstory, I would not be surprised if he wins 6 games. Life has a way of rewarding people for their heart and their charity work sometimes. 

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, GSG said:

Lol, well where I'm from there's a lot of people that are like that. Same people who love Tommie Frazier on the field but he's POS outside of that cuz he's black 

And had a wife of a different ethnicity. 

Let's not forget, that was one of the prominent reasons the boosters worked against him from day one at Kansas. He never got full support from the AD or the boosters because he was black and had an interracial marriage. :dunno

I would like to think there's more that separates us from Kansas than just geography...but the current political climate suggests otherwise. 

32 minutes ago, GSG said:

Yep. I've already heard some fans b!^@hing because the interim HC is a "black guy" 

Pretty sad 

Yup. I have too. Was hoping things would be better in this regard in 2022...but here we are, regressing...

• Plus1 2