Jump to content

How many regular season games does Mickey Joseph have to win to be given the job?


How many regular season wins does Nebraska need for MJ to be hired as new HC?  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

There’s got to be more in addition to w/l to the decision. Trev identified some of the qualities he’s looking for in the presser. If MJ checks all of those off, I would presume we’ll win more games this year. Whether it’s 5,6,or7, won’t be the only consideration. If he wins 5,6,or7 but doesn’t possess the skill set Trev is looking for, he won’t get a serious look. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

Trev should not only look at record but also our competition Let's be real, the West is not looking good, and we got the rare break of getting Rutgers and Indiana out of the East. Only Mich and OU are more talented. Plus Trev should look at what personnel moves MJ can make with the HC job and obviously compare all of this to whom Trev can hire from outside the program. 

 

In terms of the court of public opinion I'd say 5-4 gets MJ lauded for his efforts with some support for permanency. 6-3 gets a significant amount of the fanbase supporting he stay HC. 7-2 and the bulk want him hired. 

Link to comment
6 hours ago, Hilltop said:

You didn't give an option for 5 and I truly believe that is the number.   If he can win 5 of the remaining 9, we make it to a bowl and he earns a 2 year contract to see if he can build on the momentum.   

 

I'm honestly not a fan but if he can do in a partial season what Frost couldn't do in 4 years,  the guy deserves a legit shot. 

That’s such a half-assed solution to the problem. A 2-year contract just sets up Mickey to fail.  Every coach in the country would use that against him in recruiting. If you give Mickey the head coaching job, you give him a 4-5 year initial contract like you would do with any other head coach. Come on. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That’s such a half-assed solution to the problem. A 2-year contract just sets up Mickey to fail.  Every coach in the country would use that against him in recruiting. If you give Mickey the head coaching job, you give him a 4-5 year initial contract like you would do with any other head coach. Come on. 

Fans need to stop acting like the NU athletic department is some small mom and pop burger joint.

 

I swear some fans want the coach to get paid by the hour and have to use a time clock.

  • Plus1 3
Link to comment

10 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Anybody that took over this dumpster fire and went 9-0 in this situation would have to be the leader in the clubhouse. I don’t think it will happen, I doubt we even get bowl eligible but you seem to be discounting him because of his race which isn’t cool. 9-0…..you just said he shouldn’t be considered for going 9-0. SMH

Quite the contrary. You say he should be GIVEN the job. That’s wrong. Period.  I want the very best we can get. Period. MJ may well be that.  We don’t know nearly enough to say one way or the other. Frost was GIVEN the job because of one very successful season, primarily.  MJ would look a lot like him if he pulled off a miracle run.  The candidate I believe should be hired needs a number of years (10 +) of P5 proven success.  We’ve tried the alternative (Bo, Riley, Callahan, Frost) and even Solich had no P5 HC experience.   It ultimately failed.   
 

Had a real HC ‘nationwide’ search been done for any of the prior hires, we may have avoided a great deal of the issues over the decades.  Tom Osborne was likewise a similar case but the key difference was Devaney was AD to steer Tom until he felt he could make it on his own.  Tom needed to stay around to help Frank learn recruiting and push him in that regard.  He opted to step way back, out of the picture entirely.  I believe he didn’t want to overbear or over shadow Frank.  Unfortunately, Frank didn’t have the recruiting gravitas and the program collapsed.  And recruiting was and remains the primary fail of Neb FB ever since. 
 

I know some or even many may disagree but the the key to TO’s great run 1981 - 1997 was his offensive and defensive systems changes to a run based attack / and overall speed defensively.   The player types he recruited were easier to recruit and less sought after.  He developed ‘above average’ and rarely chased the 5 star players.  And his systems were unconventional / different than most of his conference foes.  He used a great scout team system to prepare defensively while complex / multiple blocking schemes made life hell for opponents.  As his program got better nationally, recruiting nationally became a bit easier and the program became a machine.  

 

The last twenty years of mix and match, shuffle and reshuffle, pass and re-pass, coach and re-coach, etc etc has not worked, and in my view will not work going forward.    The luster is gone and DONU’s brand legacy is almost worthless to recruiting.  In fact, after Riley / Frost, it may be a negative factor to recruiting.
That has to be fixed by either the slam dunk ‘legend’ type HC hire or a radical turn away from the conventional schemes.  May need both if the HC is a less than stellar. 
 

We are not yet back to pre Devaney level but we are close. Facilities and fan base are much better.  It took Devaney 6 years or so and that was with TO as OC, the two built the foundation for nearly four decades of top 15 FB.  
 

This hire is the most critical in 60 years.  I’m glad Trev has time, the money and hopefully the help of some very smart, insightful minds to get it right.   Who knows?  It may be impossible.  The damage is deep. Times have changed.  Money and connections, etc are even more important.  The best coaches and players and facilities money can buy is the game.  But ‘fit’ and long term planning has to be a part of it.  It’s an entire system and process to build a program. It can’t happen with a HC contract signature.  But it all starts there.  I put the odds of Trev and Co succeeding at 50-50 at best. 

Link to comment

Bo:  It appears a few coaches were "forced" on him but he clearly still did very well.

 

Riley:  Seems like he brought who he wanted at first...then Bobby D was forced on him

 

Billy C:  Was Turner Gill sort of forced on him, I don't remember?

 

Frost:  Brought who he wanted, I think?  Until this year, sort of?

 

How about this...next coach brings who he wants and has a crazy huge pool of cash for those asst coaches and they create 12-15 analyst positions as well.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
56 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Quite the contrary. You say he should be GIVEN the job. That’s wrong. Period.  I want the very best we can get. Period. MJ may well be that.  We don’t know nearly enough to say one way or the other. Frost was GIVEN the job because of one very successful season, primarily.  MJ would look a lot like him if he pulled off a miracle run.  The candidate I believe should be hired needs a number of years (10 +) of P5 proven success.  We’ve tried the alternative (Bo, Riley, Callahan, Frost) and even Solich had no P5 HC experience.   It ultimately failed.   
 

Had a real HC ‘nationwide’ search been done for any of the prior hires, we may have avoided a great deal of the issues over the decades.  Tom Osborne was likewise a similar case but the key difference was Devaney was AD to steer Tom until he felt he could make it on his own.  Tom needed to stay around to help Frank learn recruiting and push him in that regard.  He opted to step way back, out of the picture entirely.  I believe he didn’t want to overbear or over shadow Frank.  Unfortunately, Frank didn’t have the recruiting gravitas and the program collapsed.  And recruiting was and remains the primary fail of Neb FB ever since. 
 

I know some or even many may disagree but the the key to TO’s great run 1981 - 1997 was his offensive and defensive systems changes to a run based attack / and overall speed defensively.   The player types he recruited were easier to recruit and less sought after.  He developed ‘above average’ and rarely chased the 5 star players.  And his systems were unconventional / different than most of his conference foes.  He used a great scout team system to prepare defensively while complex / multiple blocking schemes made life hell for opponents.  As his program got better nationally, recruiting nationally became a bit easier and the program became a machine.  

 

The last twenty years of mix and match, shuffle and reshuffle, pass and re-pass, coach and re-coach, etc etc has not worked, and in my view will not work going forward.    The luster is gone and DONU’s brand legacy is almost worthless to recruiting.  In fact, after Riley / Frost, it may be a negative factor to recruiting.
That has to be fixed by either the slam dunk ‘legend’ type HC hire or a radical turn away from the conventional schemes.  May need both if the HC is a less than stellar. 
 

We are not yet back to pre Devaney level but we are close. Facilities and fan base are much better.  It took Devaney 6 years or so and that was with TO as OC, the two built the foundation for nearly four decades of top 15 FB.  
 

This hire is the most critical in 60 years.  I’m glad Trev has time, the money and hopefully the help of some very smart, insightful minds to get it right.   Who knows?  It may be impossible.  The damage is deep. Times have changed.  Money and connections, etc are even more important.  The best coaches and players and facilities money can buy is the game.  But ‘fit’ and long term planning has to be a part of it.  It’s an entire system and process to build a program. It can’t happen with a HC contract signature.  But it all starts there.  I put the odds of Trev and Co succeeding at 50-50 at best. 

JFC that is a lot of words.

I didn’t say he should be “given” the job but rather strongly considered. You seemed to have a problem considering him even if he went 9-0.

 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That’s such a half-assed solution to the problem. A 2-year contract just sets up Mickey to fail.  Every coach in the country would use that against him in recruiting. If you give Mickey the head coaching job, you give him a 4-5 year initial contract like you would do with any other head coach. Come on. 

Most coaches in a prove it situation do get a 4 year contract but in reality it is a 2 year deal with massively reduced buyouts at the 2 year mark in case it isn't working out.  That is what I was referring to.  I am well aware of Nebraska's ability to pay and the recruiting problems that would be created by a true 2 year deal. 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Fans need to stop acting like the NU athletic department is some small mom and pop burger joint.

 

I swear some fans want the coach to get paid by the hour and have to use a time clock.

Lol.  I know there are a few with that sentiment but I believe there is also some room for financial responsibility while still doing MJ justice if he does earn a shot.  A 4 year contract with the first 2 guaranteed at full buyout would fit the situation.  If he does well after the first full year, he gets a new deal.  If he doesn't, Nebraska isn't on the hook for 15+ million again.

Link to comment

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Quite the contrary. You say he should be GIVEN the job. That’s wrong. Period.  I want the very best we can get. Period. MJ may well be that.  We don’t know nearly enough to say one way or the other. Frost was GIVEN the job because of one very successful season, primarily.  MJ would look a lot like him if he pulled off a miracle run.  The candidate I believe should be hired needs a number of years (10 +) of P5 proven success.  We’ve tried the alternative (Bo, Riley, Callahan, Frost) and even Solich had no P5 HC experience.   It ultimately failed.   
 

Had a real HC ‘nationwide’ search been done for any of the prior hires, we may have avoided a great deal of the issues over the decades.  Tom Osborne was likewise a similar case but the key difference was Devaney was AD to steer Tom until he felt he could make it on his own.  Tom needed to stay around to help Frank learn recruiting and push him in that regard.  He opted to step way back, out of the picture entirely.  I believe he didn’t want to overbear or over shadow Frank.  Unfortunately, Frank didn’t have the recruiting gravitas and the program collapsed.  And recruiting was and remains the primary fail of Neb FB ever since. 
 

I know some or even many may disagree but the the key to TO’s great run 1981 - 1997 was his offensive and defensive systems changes to a run based attack / and overall speed defensively.   The player types he recruited were easier to recruit and less sought after.  He developed ‘above average’ and rarely chased the 5 star players.  And his systems were unconventional / different than most of his conference foes.  He used a great scout team system to prepare defensively while complex / multiple blocking schemes made life hell for opponents.  As his program got better nationally, recruiting nationally became a bit easier and the program became a machine.  

 

The last twenty years of mix and match, shuffle and reshuffle, pass and re-pass, coach and re-coach, etc etc has not worked, and in my view will not work going forward.    The luster is gone and DONU’s brand legacy is almost worthless to recruiting.  In fact, after Riley / Frost, it may be a negative factor to recruiting.
That has to be fixed by either the slam dunk ‘legend’ type HC hire or a radical turn away from the conventional schemes.  May need both if the HC is a less than stellar. 
 

We are not yet back to pre Devaney level but we are close. Facilities and fan base are much better.  It took Devaney 6 years or so and that was with TO as OC, the two built the foundation for nearly four decades of top 15 FB.  
 

This hire is the most critical in 60 years.  I’m glad Trev has time, the money and hopefully the help of some very smart, insightful minds to get it right.   Who knows?  It may be impossible.  The damage is deep. Times have changed.  Money and connections, etc are even more important.  The best coaches and players and facilities money can buy is the game.  But ‘fit’ and long term planning has to be a part of it.  It’s an entire system and process to build a program. It can’t happen with a HC contract signature.  But it all starts there.  I put the odds of Trev and Co succeeding at 50-50 at best. 

 

4057D464-D5BD-42B2-B40D-749CCDA66814.gif

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2
Link to comment

At this point, it's more than about wins and losses for this year.  Yes, he needs to win some games.  I would say 5 more so we are at 6 wins total and he'd be a leading candidate.  

However, it's more about how the team responds.  If they win 5 games and they are playing good, sound football without stupid mistakes and, possibly even more importantly, there are smart decisions being made in game and the game is being managed well.....he'd probably have the job.  He'd have the job especially if there isn't a really top candidate that wants it.  Why would you let him go only to bring in a 2nd or 3rd option at that point?

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Lol.  I know there are a few with that sentiment but I believe there is also some room for financial responsibility while still doing MJ justice if he does earn a shot.  A 4 year contract with the first 2 guaranteed at full buyout would fit the situation.  If he does well after the first full year, he gets a new deal.  If he doesn't, Nebraska isn't on the hook for 15+ million again.

Why settle for the cheap route when things seemed aligned between a capable AD and a lot of potential candidates where NU could actually go with a proper, national search for the job? Money should never be a consideration. That limits your options when thinking that way. Go after the candidates you want, hire the guy, and pay him what is expected of him. 

Link to comment
21 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Most coaches in a prove it situation do get a 4 year contract but in reality it is a 2 year deal with massively reduced buyouts at the 2 year mark in case it isn't working out.  That is what I was referring to.  I am well aware of Nebraska's ability to pay and the recruiting problems that would be created by a true 2 year deal. 

Then don't settle on a coach in a "prove-it" situation.

 

Again, I like Mickey and his approach to the past 5 days.  However, people saying that they would be happy with him as the FULL-TIME HEAD COACH, are being emotional and just hopeful that he can do something with this dumpster fire of a team this year.

Link to comment
15 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Then don't settle on a coach in a "prove-it" situation.

 

Again, I like Mickey and his approach to the past 5 days.  However, people saying that they would be happy with him as the FULL-TIME HEAD COACH, are being emotional and just hopeful that he can do something with this dumpster fire of a team this year.

I agree, and if you go back to my post I clearly said I'm not a fan of that.  However, if he gets us to a bowl game with this dumpster fire of a team, I believe he deserves a shot.  Heck, maybe he turns into a fantastic coach.  I personally don't see that happening but we would be foolish to not keep an open mind through this process imo.  

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...