Quarterback play

Hayseed

It was scrub time but I was impressed with what I saw from Chubba. He's able to move around and evade the rush pretty good and buys himself time to see the field. A couple times he threw into coverage and he'll have to knock that off, but overall he looks like a good quarterback.

Discuss what you think about our QB's here if you want.

• Fire 1

He played against backups.  He would have gotten murdered by the OU starters.

Our oline doesn't help with protection very much.  When we got behind 2-3 scores quickly, we became one dimensional.  But yet, they still stopped the run and pressured our starting QB.

Hat's off to the OU defense.

Thompson has been good thus far this year, and I have few complaints about him considering how bad the O Line has been. He's been hit a season's worth in the first four games. That discouraged look was well-earned.

But Purdy seems like a guy who deserves a look at #1. HCMJ should be shredding the two-deep and starting with a fresh evaluation. Purdy will likely get a chance to prove himself.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

At the beginning of the second half I thought we should've put in Smothers to get more running options going and to keep Thompson from getting killed. I think we have three pretty good options at QB. I haven't been optimistic about Purdy, but I liked the poise I saw from him today. The team looks like it's in dire straits against the big boys, but QB is a bright spot.

3 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

At the beginning of the second half I thought we should've put in Smothers to get more running options going and to keep Thompson from getting killed. I think we have three pretty good options at QB. I haven't been optimistic about Purdy, but I liked the poise I saw from him today. The team looks like it's in dire straits against the big boys, but QB is a bright spot.

Purdy's wheels surprised me. 

• Fire 1

I was very excited to land Thompson in the off season but I am a bit disappointed in what I have seen. I fully underatand the line sucks and he is under heavy pressure, but he does not seem to have as good of pocket awareness as his predecessor. There were times today where I felt he could have moved outside the pocket and made a play, but he was late to sense the pressure and just took the sack. Perhaps part of this is on Whipple for not encouraging him to move more and get outside the pocket.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Same old story, the QB position is not on our list of top 5 problems. Thompson, Smothers, Purdy….all more than serviceable. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady would struggle behind our OL.

I think Casey got sacked like 37 times and pressured every other down.  He toted an a$$ whoopin tonite.  That OL is/was non-existent.  I would truly start the back ups.  MJ has two weeks to coach them up.  Obvious the 1's won't.  

16 hours ago, lo country said:

I think Casey got sacked like 37 times and pressured every other down.  He toted an a$$ whoopin tonite.  That OL is/was non-existent.  I would truly start the back ups.  MJ has two weeks to coach them up.  Obvious the 1's won't.  

Agreed.  Best parts is we wont face another defense Like OU's the rest of the season. Michigan's will be good but not coached by BV.  While i dont think Casey is the best he will do fine the rest of the way.