What did we learn? - Oklahoma

1 hour ago, walksalone said:

That we're going to have to embrace the suck for a couple seasons.

This team needs so many things, most importantly a HC, and improved offensive and defensive line play.

The three biggest issues.

1.   HC and overall scheme & identity

2.  OL - Need big talent upgrade.   Hard to assess coaching with talent deficit imo.

3.  DL (front four).  That’s more about lack of raw talent. Less coaching imo).  I actually think the coaching has been decent but the Defense schemes hinder DT and DE) playmaking so much.  ILBs are athletic but may lack quickness and speed to fit the schemes used.   

Note:   I hate Frost’s offense and play sequencing.   I think Whipple is better but both were so handicapped by O line.  Frost used only Adrian that it’s kind of hard to be certain.  AM was Frost’s one and only QB - by his own design and choice so it’s on Frost. 

I also see Adrian doing no better so far at KSU and their coach is having same issues.  AM just fails to make enough special plays per Klieman. AM may get benched. 

6 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

2.  OL - Need big talent upgrade.   Hard to assess coaching with talent deficit imo.

3.  DL (front four).  That’s more about lack of raw talent. Less coaching imo).  I actually think the coaching has been decent but the Defense schemes hinder DT and DE) playmaking so much.  ILBs are athletic but may lack quickness and speed to fit the schemes used.   

Note:   I hate Frost’s offense and play sequencing.   I think Whipple is better but both were so handicapped by O line.  Frost used only Adrian that it’s kind of hard to be certain.  AM was Frost’s one and only QB - by his own design and choice so it’s on Frost. 

I also see Adrian doing no better so far at KSU and their coach is having same issues.  AM just fails to make enough special plays per Klieman. AM may get benched. 

This was not how this fairy tail was suppose to end- the coach gets fired and the QB gets benched. 

8 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

2AM is bottom five in FBS for QBR.

That said, this year is showing us we blamed Adrian too much.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2

I learned that one of our own did more damage to the Husker program and brand than Bo, Riley, or BC combined.   I learned that this was just a money play for him, he took advantage of us and his undisciplined personal life and coaching was reflected in how the team was developed (wasn't ) and how it played on game day.  

We need to 'write off' the last 5 years as a lesson learned.  Burn it down.  Start completely over.  I don't care if it is a slow moving turtle like Campbell who slowly builds culture and develops players or  a big name like Urb who MIGHT be able to rebuild quickly by drawing in top players.  Either way it is a total rebuild.  It is doubtful that a big name like Urb wants to take on this mess.  

The next coach needs to rebuild culture, teach basic football fundamentals, motivate and develop.  We will need to be patient with whoever it is.  Frost kept saying that the 'rebuild' he inherited was worse than what we all knew.  Wrong, he was given every advantage that one could hope for and he squandered it while raping the program and its fans. The more I hear about his 'junk' and the more I see how the current team plays, I hope he stays far away from Nebraska for some time.   Frankly he reminds me of a certain former president.  An opportunist plain and simple. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Talked to a big KSU fan at work today.  He's pretty disappointed in AM's play and lack of field awareness.  Missing wide open WRs and not making quick passing decisions.  I said "I told you so"

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

That said, this year is showing us we blamed Adrian too much.

For sure. I think he was constantly having to try to singlehandedly make up for the mistakes happening all around him.

He of course made his own share...but if you put him on any of Bo's teams he would have been considerably better than Taylor or Tommy, IMO. 

• Plus1 2

What really pisses me off right now is that Northwestern has lost two back-to-back non-conference games. They lost 31-23 to Duke and then 31-24 to Southern Illinois.

That's how bad our defense is right now. I guess Duke is decent but a Missouri Valley team puts up more points than we did and holds them to 24?

We're a dumpster fire.

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...