Chinander fired

GSG

3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

For those upset about chins being let go right now,  what do you possibly see getting worse?  Our defense is about as bad as it gets.   It looks like an average game of backyard football.   No organization,  massively missed assignments,  easily fooled, and just plain bad tackling.  On top of all that,  chins was Scott's buddy.   Pretty hard for him to focus after Frost was let go imo... another dead man walking scenario that had to be addressed now.  

I am optimistic that the change in leadership leads to some positives.   

It can always get worse. Sports fans’ folly.

Thats not to say we shouldn’t take the risks we deem necessary to take to become better, though. If that is how Trev and Mickey feel, then that’s that.

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I agree. That's why I'm saying firing Chins doesn't matter whether we did it now or later. That's exactly my point. I'm pushing back against this wave of joy in this thread like firing Chins accomplished something - it didn't. Example of what I'm talking about:

Well we don’t really agree. I think it’s a good thing that it happened now. Much better than limping through the rest of this season with a lame duck DC whose defensive strategy is probably the main reason we had to fire our HC. Does it make us better now, immediately? Maybe a little better but probably not much. ECs mark is all over these defensive players and there won’t be a whole helluva lot they can do in season to correct things. But at least we have a shot at starting to cleanse the soft attitude and poor tackling and get things headed in a better direction. The one thing I do know, keeping him around wasn’t going to help this team at all. So yeah, good riddance.

• Plus1 1

Maybe since our defensive captains haven’t been producing on the field, this might be an opportunity to do so in the locker room. Try to keep players together at least a little bit. 

This might be a time when it’s good some of them are Nebraska kids who grew up Huskers. Leadership is going to be a big, big thing for the next couple of weeks. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

Have you watched any football over the last 5+ years. The DBs celebrate everything, even if they had nothing to do with it. It is not just a Nebraska thing man. 

Yes I am fine with it in a contested game with back and forth and see it a lot.  But no, I don’t see it when the WR has owned you the whole game and then you celebrate. It’s a really bad look. OU is dominating and you pull that crap. Or Georgia Southern has put up 600 yards on you and you do that? Get on the bench. Can you imagine Alabama getting dominated and Saban putting up with that garbage?  Culture matters.

• Plus1 2

It seems the players are running the team and face it the effort has been crap since game 1. I don't understand how they always love their coach and are pissed when the coach gets canned but every week the captains keep saying it's their fault and not the coaches. Well, perhaps we should start playing guys who want to be on the field and are willing to take some accountability for missing blocks and gap assignments, etc.  This may be where Joseph is headed based on his comments yesterday.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, KCBuc said:

the guy blew dead tuna. I said he sucked when they hired him from day 1. You can lament the firing and push all you want. Stab at wind wills if it’s your thing.  Me? The firing gives a little bit of hope of getting the program back to being competitive. Keeping him sure was not going to push the needle into playing winning defense. 

You should try reading what I wrote. I'm not lamenting the firing, it needed to be done. I'm saying whether we fired Chins now or at the end of the season makes no real difference. The defense is going to suck the whole season regardless, so the celebrating of Chins firing like something was accomplished is silly.

1 hour ago, roadrat said:

It seems the players are running the team and face it the effort has been crap since game 1. I don't understand how they always love their coach and are pissed when the coach gets canned but every week the captains keep saying it's their fault and not the coaches. Well, perhaps we should start playing guys who want to be on the field and are willing to take some accountability for missing blocks and gap assignments, etc.  This may be where Joseph is headed based on his comments yesterday.

Mike Singletary said it well. 

Steve Taylor on 93.7- “There are some more decisions that need to be made, with people that are toxic down there from my conversations with him (Mickey) and have been toxic for a long time and we’ll see if a Mickey makes those decisions as well…”

It seems that more changes are definitely possible. Not sure that it’s going to translate to the win column this year but Mickey may just clean house now and try to flip the culture sooner rather than later.

• Fire 1

In case it isn’t obvious, most (maybe all) of Frost’s hires will probably be looking for new jobs after the season. Most deservedly so for the team’s performances.

However… it does not matter who is in charge of the defense until we have a complimentary offensive plan/style to balance the defense. Though in theory, Chins aggressive/turnover seeking defense sounds good. It only works if the offense can maintain time consuming possessions ultimately resulting in points. When the offense fails to do either, the defense spends too much time out on the field, opening up opportunities to be beaten as the game goes along. Facing 80+ snaps per game is just not a winning recipe in any league. As an example, through the first three games of the year, Nebraska faced 241 snaps on defense. In contrast, Iowa faced 199 snaps against their defense and Minnesota faced only 142 snaps. 3-6 extra games worth of collisions by season’s end. 

Though I think both Minnesota and Iowa are boring to watch, they both have offenses who attempt to be incredibly protective of their defenses. Hopefully our changes will results in coaches that understand this basic concept. And for the love of God, when a defense only keeps five men in the box, run the d@*# ball right at the smaller defenders. 4-5 yard runs are a good thing, Whip.

• Fire 1