Chinander fired

GSG

17 hours ago, knapplc said:

It's not about the defense getting better. It's about removing people that are poisoning the culture of the program.

If Mickey's firing someone, it's because keeping them on board would do more damage than letting them go.

Well said. At this point it's not about this year.

By all accounts, if you're on this team you haven't been practicing as much as you've been scrimmaging. The teaching style of this staff prior to letting Frost's guys go was "here's your technique, let's try it at full speed and correct it." I've been around a lot of great coaches and that's not how they operate because that's how you form bad habits. It shows up pretty evidently in tackling, footwork (think QBs and OL), hand placement (think DL/OL), alignment and assignment (LB's overpursing, Dismuke tossing DB's around pre-snap, guy's chasing motion men, being out of position on a 60-yard QB run, OL getting beat on stunts)

Firing Chins, Frost, Austin, Mario, and anyone else who's trusted these kids to out-talent the big ten sends them a message that their effort in relearning how to learn is appreciated for the rest of the season and going forward. It's not about this year. These guys understand that. This is a culture-first move. When Trev gets up there and says it's 'about the players' that's what he's talking about. It's not about keeping kids competitive this season, it's about wiping the slate clean and letting someone with championship habits start fresh instead of having to do this in spring ball.

• Plus1 2
14 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

I don't feel bad for anyone right now in this current state of the program.  The program is bigger than any one coach and thats a fact.  It is time to start getting results.  Those results won't happen this year.  Honestly, Frost was coaching as if he knew this would be it if he didn't win and by losing to NW and Georgia South, it was over.  Chins knew his time was coming as well.  In the coaching profession they know things don't always work out and can see for themselves that things will get changed.  Chins knew last week that his time here was almost up.  I am sure Frost warned him.  This sucks for Mickey.  He won't get the Head job, but is doing all the dirty work that needs done for Alberts and the program.  I think this season is all but over.  I think kids are going to be emotionally done with this place and be moving on.  That really don't bother me that much, but to some extent does a little bit.  This whole thing right now is so out of whack its not even funny.  We have 3 more months of speculating on coaching hires and or not .  This is an unhealthy enviroment for the players and all the coaches.  Turmoil U.  Desparation U.  Things and words you don't ever want surrounding a program. 

This is what I was trying to say. He is doing all the dirty work. 

I posted this BEFORE the season...

The 2 DL and 2 LB personnel will not work this year for this team. We have to run a 3-4. We also have to get safeties who aren't scared to tackle and make plays. Whoever runs the D can only do so much for the rest of the year but minor tweaks would help a lot imo. This would also help our 'edge' players as well with another DL. 

For example below. We would add another DL for a DB. 

Wynn, Nash, Drew 

Nelson, Reimer, Henrich, Mathis

Newsome                                                                                       Hill 

Sanford               Buford 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Chins was the one coach that a lot of fans did not want to come with Frost...It sort of seems like none of them should have come!

I am trying to think of guys that they could have had instead of Frost 5 years ago...Not that Frost was not "the guy" we pretty much all wanted him, so this is not saying that we did not want Frost, just tossing out names they could have got, I would imagine, with ease.

PJ Fleck

Kalen Debore

Lance Leopold

The dude at USC from OU?  Maybe?  Was he still an OC at the time?

Sam Pittman

Man, who else?

31 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I posted this BEFORE the season...

The 2 DL and 2 LB personnel will not work this year for this team. We have to run a 3-4. We also have to get safeties who aren't scared to tackle and make plays. Whoever runs the D can only do so much for the rest of the year but minor tweaks would help a lot imo. This would also help our 'edge' players as well with another DL. 

For example below. We would add another DL for a DB. 

Wynn, Nash, Drew 

Nelson, Reimer, Henrich, Mathis

Newsome                                                                                       Hill 

Sanford               Buford 

This is great stuff. Almost nobody's talking X's & O's on the board right now because of the firings and drama.

The thing is that there's just so much shotgun spread now - even in the B1G. What teams are doing to us is lining up 4 guys wide to spread us out because we have no brains at all in the middle.

You still have your nickelback take the slot guy (obviously) but then you can still have 3 linebackers off the LoS:

Wynn | Robinson | Nash

Nelson    |    Reimer    |    Mathis

*Nickle*

Newsome                                                                                                Hill 

*Whoever*               Buford 

I think one of the mistakes we've made is not having Nelson out there in the linebacker slot for run support. I understand that he's probably not the greatest in pass coverage but that's why you play your nickel.

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

This is great stuff. Almost nobody's talking X's & O's on the board right now because of the firings and drama.

The thing is that there's just so much shotgun spread now - even in the B1G. What teams are doing to us is lining up 4 guys wide to spread us out because we have no brains at all in the middle.

You still have your nickleback take the slot guy (obviously) but then you can still have 3 linebackers off the LoS:

Wynn | Robinson | Nash

*Nickle*

Newsome                                                                                                Hill 

I just think that JoJo was good enough but Gifford and Kolaravic have been underwhelming so I'd rather have a shot at making the QB uncomfortable. We also have the 2 worst tackling safeties I've seen at Nebraska. Farmer has been bad for so long and we still play him for some reason. Buford has had 1 good tackle all year but go watch the film, he avoids contact and takes bad angles. He is like 5'9 (should be a CB imo). 

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I just think that JoJo was good enough but Gifford and Kolaravic have been underwhelming so I'd rather have a shot at making the QB uncomfortable. We also have the 2 worst tackling safeties I've seen at Nebraska. Farmer has been bad for so long and we still play him for some reason. Buford has had 1 good tackle all year but go watch the film, he avoids contact and takes bad angles. He is like 5'9 (should be a CB imo). 

Yeah. We could even try Reimer as the nickel. Main point there is just what we do personnel-wise so we don't get curb stomped when teams go 4 wide. Totally agree that Gifford & Kolarevic aren't playing all that well at nickel.

I think Nelson has to be playing as a true linebacker as he's the best tackler. Mathis could really come on as a pass rusher but he can still do it regardless of where he lines up.

It's like we're picking sometimes whether we're playing Nelson or Mathis as the "rush" linebacker that lines up on the line in a two points stance, but then when teams run up the middle we can't tackle or we panic and get out of position and the play is busted.

Nelson doesn't really make those mistakes.

I see this as a good move toward the future. Sure the team may learn some better skills and we may get better defensively for this year but let's eject as much of this old staff as possible now. 

If any of these rumors of the old coaches behaviors and attitudes are true, then they will continue to make things worse..yes worse this season. Who knows, maybe chins runs off a potential recruit or a current player by mailing it in the rest of the year. We don't really know what's going on but there's usually more to the story.

49 minutes ago, Undone said:

You still have your nickelback take the slot guy (obviously) but then you can still have 3 linebackers off the LoS:

Wynn | Robinson | Nash

*Nickle*

I think one of the mistakes we've made is not having Nelson out there in the linebacker slot for run support. I understand that he's probably not the greatest in pass coverage but that's why you play your nickel.

you are asking Mathis and Nelson to play is space?  I don't think that is their strong suit at all.  

Mathis | Wynn | Robinson |  Nelson

Newsome               reimer                       Heinrich                         Hausman                  Hill/clark

singleton                                             buford

CB's are man with 2x2 inside alignment using a bale technique.  Lbs are pressed on slots trying to slow them down.  Man to the outside anythign goes inside pass it off.  safeties pick up anything after 8 yards.  You can run any type of zone and use either mathis and Nelson to zone blitz.  or you can just go tampa two. 

6 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Mathis | Wynn | Robinson |  Nelson

Newsome               reimer                       Heinrich                         Hausman                  Hill/clark

singleton                                             buford

Unless I'm missing something or I don't get the formatting of Newsome and then Hill/Clark, it seems like this is exactly what we're doing now except you've potentially changed who's playing nickel.

Reimer is a good tackler and so you want him at least somewhere in the mix for run support but I don't know about Henrich/Hausman tbh.

22 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

you are asking Mathis and Nelson to play is space?

No to Mathis but yes to Nelson. Your nickel still takes the pass coverage on the 4-wide sets and also picks up the tight end on the 3-wide sets. Nelson rarely does anything when he lines up on the line anyway so why not have your smartest player (and best tackler) be there to jam up the middle of the field?

12 minutes ago, Undone said:

Unless I'm missing something or I don't get the formatting of Newsome and then Hill/Clark, it seems like this is exactly what we're doing now except you've potentially changed who's playing nickel.

Reimer is a good tackler and so you want him at least somewhere in the mix for run support but I don't know about Henrich/Hausman tbh.

No to Mathis but yes to Nelson. Your nickel still takes the pass coverage on the 4-wide sets and also picks up the tight end on the 3-wide sets. Nelson rarely does anything when he lines up on the line anyway so why not have your smartest player (and best tackler) be there to jam up the middle of the field?

Did.....did you just call Nelson our smartest player?  

3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Did.....did you just call Nelson our smartest player?  

Yeah I'd say it's either him or Reimer. I haven't really seen enough play from Mathis yet. 

I've seen enough of Gifford/Kolarevic/Hausmann trying to hold down the middle of the field to think they're just going to blow plays left and right. Nelson at least wraps up and brings guys to the ground.