Chinander fired

GSG

14 minutes ago, Undone said:

Unless I'm missing something or I don't get the formatting of Newsome and then Hill/Clark, it seems like this is exactly what we're doing now except you've potentially changed who's playing nickel.

Reimer is a good tackler and so you want him at least somewhere in the mix for run support but I don't know about Henrich/Hausman tbh.

No to Mathis but yes to Nelson. Your nickel still takes the pass coverage on the 4-wide sets and also picks up the tight end on the 3-wide sets. Nelson rarely does anything when he lines up on the line anyway so why not have your smartest player (and best tackler) be there to jam up the middle of the field?

which ever one plays better.  Newsome has been solid and Hill has struggled.  could be anyone who can cover and tackle at that spot for all I care.  I think Henrich in the middle as a true middle would be fine.  You don't really need a nickel if you are just using your SS.  They should have someone on the team who can play safety and guard a slot.  I don't know if he could but I might even try Tannor at middle.  He's pretty athletic and at least in the middle he isn't undersized.   These are college kids and should be able to learn new alignment really quick.  

Until this week I did not know that Chinander was considered a likable, accountable stand-up guy not only by his players, but by most people who worked with him or interviewed him. The firing is 100% defensible, but it's likely to sting the players and the first year guy who steps into his place. In other words, I don't think we've hit the bottom quite yet on morale and motivation, but we have 8 games of purging that should yield a slightly better unit at the end of the season and the seeds of culture change moving forward.

This is the power of severely lowered expectations.

• Plus1 3
50 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

but we have 8 games of purging that should yield a slightly better unit at the end of the season and the seeds of culture change moving forward.

This is the power of severely lowered expectations.

And I hope the new coach is announced in time to salvage recruiting and to keep some of our key players from jumping into the portal.  

25 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

And I hope the new coach is announced in time to salvage recruiting and to keep some of our key players from jumping into the portal.  

Honestly, I think this would be done by retaining Mickey for the new staff, more than the next head coach.  Mickey is trying to keep as many of the current commits as possible while he's the Interim Head Coach.  The next head coach will work with Mickey and try to close out the early signing period with a flourish, but I don't see how a new head coach is going to be named before Thanksgiving week.  I fully expect the next head coach to come from the pool of guys currently coaching.

5 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

I’m thinking there has to be an announcement sometime before the Iowa game. We need all the time in the world to get a some what decent class put together for early signing period 

Unless it's Matt Rhule no coach would leave his team prior to the end of the regular season.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Don't expect anything till the new coach is done coaching his current team in the regular season.

I could see that if they hire an established HC from a team that's in contention for a conference championship, but Lincoln Riley left six days before the conference championship last year.   If they hire some kind of coordinator, those guys can pack up and leave at any point.

Personally, I thought the leash they gave Scott to straddle between NU and UCF in 2017 was a bit much but he could demand that given how attractive of a hire he was that year.

9 minutes ago, MasterPulverizer said:

I could see that if they hire an established HC from a team that's in contention for a conference championship, but Lincoln Riley left six days before the conference championship last year.   If they hire some kind of coordinator, those guys can pack up and leave at any point.

Personally, I thought the leash they gave Scott to straddle between NU and UCF in 2017 was a bit much but he could demand that given how attractive of a hire he was that year.

Oklahoma didn't qualify for the Big 12 championship last year, so OU was done with their regular season games when Riley left for USC (while he probably had agreed to the job weeks earlier).  I would expect Trev to have 2-3 candidates who he wants to interview during November (yes, that can be done in secret), with an informal agreement done in mid-November, and the official news coming out Thanksgiving weekend.  That would basically give the new staff 3-4 weeks to cobble together a recruiting class for the December period.

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/18/2022 at 9:05 PM, RedDenver said:

You should try reading what I wrote. I'm not lamenting the firing, it needed to be done. I'm saying whether we fired Chins now or at the end of the season makes no real difference. The defense is going to suck the whole season regardless, so the celebrating of Chins firing like something was accomplished is silly.

Any reassessment?

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2