Steve Taylor on Frost And Other Toxic People Down There

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I fail to see how Trev would be on the hot seat in all of this.  He came in when Frost was already not getting the job done.  It's been stated that he wanted to fire Frost last year and didn't have the support to do so.  So, he forced Frost to make coaching changes on the staff.  When this season started as a s#!t show, he took action.

Now, it's his job to hire a good coach.  To my knowledge, the athletic program is being ran well other than the two main men's programs not winning.  And, he's taking action to fix the biggest one.

I agree.  Trev has done a great job so far.  He did what he could to support the team.  That didn't work with Frost but it wasn't on him.  Now he gets the opportunity to hire his coach.  How that coach performs will decide his future at Nebraska.  If that coach is successful and stays here long term, Trev likely gets the chance to retire here.  If that coach turns out to be a bad hire, Trev will probably be gone in a few years.

The sticky part of that process is finding a coach that the boosters all come together on.  In this day and age of NIL and extreme coach salaries, he needs close to unanimous support from the money guys imo.  Hope he has some used car salesman experience and a great eye for the coaching talent needed to fix the program.

GBR  

On 9/18/2022 at 11:38 PM, Dogs In A Pile said:

More disappointing revaluations coming out. Felt betrayed by Frost and other decisions need to be made about people who are "toxic down there".

Mind boggling and can't comprehend they haven't been tackling in practice. As always, ST is measured, well spoken and a true Husker.

31 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I agree.  Trev has done a great job so far.  He did what he could to support the team.  That didn't work with Frost but it wasn't on him.  Now he gets the opportunity to hire his coach.  How that coach performs will decide his future at Nebraska.  If that coach is successful and stays here long term, Trev likely gets the chance to retire here.  If that coach turns out to be a bad hire, Trev will probably be gone in a few years.

The sticky part of that process is finding a coach that the boosters all come together on.  In this day and age of NIL and extreme coach salaries, he needs close to unanimous support from the money guys imo.  Hope he has some used car salesman experience and a great eye for the coaching talent needed to fix the program.

GBR  

Agreed.  Moos left a sh!t show for him to come into.  No accountability at the AD level. It was being ran like a country club basically from My sources.  Many layers of incompetence for Trev to peel away.

• Fire 1
8 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Simple. Anybody that is not named Urban.

Since Trev explicitly stated character as #1 in what he was looking for in the new coach that automatically rules out Meyer from the get go. And he is the only coach on the planet capable of turning this ship around.

The Meyer mob knows exactly who Trev is considering and are none too happy with the choices he has made since anybody not named Urban less than or equal to Mike Riley by default. Regardless of their record or the programs they may have rebuilt through the years.

In their eyes Trev is now on the hot seat and may not make it to Thanksgiving in which case their approved replacement can then name Urban as head coach (regardless if wants to come here or coach again at all).

Dude I am on board that Urban could do it but its hyperbole like this that makes the whole notion sound ridiculous. There are dozens of coaches out there that could do it over a longer timeline than Urban. Could he do it faster than most? Sure, if he's at the gear he was at in 2016. Is he? You and I have no idea. Does he even want to coach? If he does, why here instead of ASU or Auburn? Both easier recruiting jobs. You guys are assuming a ton with no real basis in reality. 

In whose eyes is trev getting fired before thanksgiving?? Lol this is qanon-level fake insider nonsense.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
39 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Now he gets the opportunity to hire his coach.  How that coach performs will decide his future at Nebraska.  If that coach is successful and stays here long term, Trev likely gets the chance to retire here.  If that coach turns out to be a bad hire, Trev will probably be gone in a few years.

Which, I never have agreed with either.

Hiring a football coach is somewhat of a crap shoot.  There are examples all over the coaching universe where a good coach is successful in one place and not others.  

Now, if the powers above see that Trev should have handled the search process differently or mismanaged the coach once he is here, then I understand firing the AD because one coach didn't succeed.

13 hours ago, GSG said:

Fired him last year :dunno

Either way, continuing to drag all the skeletons out of the closet doesn't do anything positive

Word 'round the campfire is that Trev tried to, but was stopped by a number of entites within the power structure of the university.  

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

What do you mean by that?

I personally think there is a risk Trev makes a hip hip hooray type hire and gets a Mr. Rogers type coach in here because of all the crap that went on during Frost's tenure.  After all,  Trev's the one who originally said this goes beyond 16-31.   Pretty much confirms to me he wants a good-guy hire and not a winning hire.

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I agree.  Trev has done a great job so far.  He did what he could to support the team.  That didn't work with Frost but it wasn't on him.  Now he gets the opportunity to hire his coach.

Maybe this is hindsight analysis at this point from me. But it seems kind of ill conceived on Alberts' part if last year he actually planned on potentially firing him around 10/01 of this year.

Given the 3-9 season, I wonder what kind of odds Trev applied to all of this working out with bringing in Whipple, Raiola, Joseph, & Busch. Hell, at that point they didn't even know that Casey Thompson would be brought in.

College football seasons are just so short; this season is pretty much completely screwed - and that's what happens when you fire a coach 1/4 or 1/3 of the way through a season. I feel like Trev was afraid to make waves in his first six months on the job last year by firing the Scott Frost and that that's possibly what put us here.

TL;DR: Not a popular opinion but I sort of think the setup Alberts laid out had as much to do with him not being made out to be the bad guy as it had to with actually creating the best plan.

*Edit: Just read your post above about maybe getting pushback last year, @Cdog923. Hard to say on that one though and potentially conflicts greatly with not waiting two damn weeks to lower the buyout by $7.5M...

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Maybe this is hindsight analysis at this point from me. But it seems kind of ill conceived on Alberts' part if last year he actually planned on potentially firing him around 10/01 of this year.

Given the 3-9 season, I wonder what kind of odds Trev applied to all of this working out with bringing in Whipple, Raiola, Joseph, & Busch. Hell, at that point they didn't even know that Casey Thompson would be brought in.

College football seasons are just so short; this season is pretty much completely screwed - and that's what happens when you fire a coach 1/4 or 1/3 of the way through a season. I feel like Trev was afraid to make waves in his first six months on the job last year by firing the Scott Frost and that that's possibly what put us here.

TL;DR: Not a popular opinion but I sort of think the setup Alberts laid out had as much to do with him not being made out to be the bad guy as it had to with actually creating the best plan.

I agree that this year was almost setup to be a failure.  Although I don't blame Alberts because I believe his hands were tied and didn't have a lot of options.  As you said this season is already completely screwed which is incredibly frustrating as a fan.  I also wouldn't blame the players for feeling a little betrayed at this point, it could be a real challenge to keep these guys on board the rest of the way.

It does like like the season is toast, BUT..........the saving grace (opportunity) in this dumpster is comprised of 3 potentially positive options: (1)the Bye week comes at the perfect time; (2)  Indiana is the most likely "get well" opportunity in the conference and at home and at night;  and (3) the following Friday at Rutgers gives them a shot at being 2-1 in an  atrocious west division. IF (big IF, I understand), they can get above .500..........who knows?  I'm Obviously clinging to the best case scenario in order not to surrender the season 3+ weeks in..................GBR

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
32 minutes ago, Undone said:

*Edit: Just read your post above about maybe getting pushback last year, @Cdog923. Hard to say on that one though and potentially conflicts greatly with not waiting two damn weeks to lower the buyout by $7.5M...

Word is that some highly influencial boosters (and a certain someone whose name rhymes with "Mom Cosnorne") stepped in and prevented Green from allowing Trev to drop the hammer. The first three games of the year went a long ways towards showing these certain peoples the light, and a few of these boosters came up with the cash to get rid of him ASAP. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1