This Game was More About

husker009

14 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

You're really putting that on Mickey, huh?  How about the guy who ran the defense for 4+ years.  Or the guys who recruited and supposedly developed the O-line?   That loss wasn't on Mickey.  

All week people on this board were saying that Mickey would make the team play emotional and they would beat OU. That obviously did not come close to happening. We looked worse than we did the week before.

2 minutes ago, husker009 said:

All week people on this board were saying that Mickey would make the team play emotional and they would beat OU. That obviously did not come close to happening. We looked worse than we did the week before.

So people on this board were wrong.  How, again, is that on Mickey?

12 minutes ago, husker009 said:

I saw a lot of people *hoping* that would be the outcome. But no one expected it. I am not going to throw a man under the bus for the team not looking great when he had about a week to prepare in his first ever game as head coach AT ANY LEVEL against a top 10 Oklahoma team.

EDIT: Excuse me, he was head coach of Langston in 2011-12.

7 minutes ago, husker009 said:

The hope with a lot of people on the board was that maybe Frost was the biggest issue with the team, and Mickey would be able to unlock something hidden within the team.  But, the honest truth is that the football program has a lot of deep issues, caused by the lack of leadership, development, and roster management by Frost and his assistant coaches.  Not all of the "unlucky losses" that you are claiming.  OU made NU look a lot worse than the week before because OU is a lot better team.  That wasn't Mickey's fault.  Mickey can't turn around the lack of developed talent on the 2-deep roster and the fragile psyche the players currently have, especially in a 4-day time period.  If changes are going to happen with this team, it will occur the next 2 weeks.

4 minutes ago, presidentjlh said:

I saw a lot of people *hoping* that would be the outcome. But no one expected it. I am not going to throw a man under the bus for the team not looking great when he had about a week to prepare in his first ever game as head coach AT ANY LEVEL against a top 10 Oklahoma team.

Does it not concern you that the second OU punched back, the team folded. OU is a good team, but there is no excuse to lose that bad, especially at home. 

4 minutes ago, husker009 said:

The minute OU punched back, the team folded. There was no fight at all. That was what was most concerning to me. The team would show fight when Frost was the coach.

That was last year when there were 5th and 6th year players who were grown men on defense.  The team didn't show much fight against a crappy Northwestern team, and average FCS team, and an average-good Sun Belt team.  I don't know how you think a crappy NU team playing close against other crappy teams is "showing fight".

Just now, husker009 said:

Does it not concern you that the team folded the second OU punched back, the team folded. OU is a good team, but there is no excuse to lose that bad, especially at home. 

It concerns me in the sense that the team is bad, but that is something I already knew. I can assure you that with how this team looked in the other games this season, Frost was not coaching us to even a close loss in this one.

Maybe Mickey isn't HC material. That would be something that is unacceptable normally, but he's an interim head coach. He has been handed a role that requires year-round work, and one where, outside of a few wunderkinds, one week is not enough time to make a single difference in how the team plays.

3 minutes ago, husker009 said:

The team would show fight when Frost was the coach.

Because of that, I probably had more patience thinking that Frost's habit of losing close games wouldn't last.

Back in the late 70's, Bo Schembechler had a long string of losses in close games.  People in the press who didn't like him and Michigan State people, who didn't like him either, were blabbing this theme that he couldn't win close games.  Then it ended and Bo won close game after close game, including last minute barnburners.

Those kind of streaks don't last.  But Frost's was particularly bad, and enough was enough.

2 hours ago, husker009 said:

In today’s game, teams can’t get away with doing that.

:lol:
Did you see what Northwestern, North Dakota and GaSo did to our defense? Pretty sure that is considered rape in most states. We could put 9 in the box and it wouldn’t matter. Any team left on our schedule could line up and only pass 5-10 times during the game and they’d move the ball at will. For that matter, they could only rush 5-10 times and have the same success.

We might win another 0-3 games but it won’t be because our D stops anybody unless something changes drastically. The “today’s game” stuff doesn’t really apply to us imo.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, husker009 said:

One reason why Mickey should not be the coach past this season is because of how weak the rest of the schedule is. That and he got ran out of the stadium against OU. I sure wasn’t expecting a win because of the clear talent disparity, but that was a brutal beat down on our own turf. Bad look for Mickey when the game was 23-16 last year.

Hats off to ya @husker009, you're running the best "Bring Back the Eye Roll Emoji" campaign we've seen in awhile.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2