Jump to content

Couple Of More Staff Changes Coming This Week


Recommended Posts


4 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

I don’t quite understand the hate to Duval…. He’s from the Eply coaching tree and from what I’ve heard he’s using a ton of what Eply has done so I don’t understand the hate if everyone love what Eply has done 

 

If what epley did was still cutting edge we wouldn't be looking for a coach

  • Plus1 7
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

I don’t quite understand the hate to Duval…. He’s from the Eply coaching tree and from what I’ve heard he’s using a ton of what Eply has done so I don’t understand the hate if everyone love what Eply has done 

 

I've heard a lot of talk of Duval manipulating numbers to make testing seem better than it is, and over working players and causing health and injury concerns.  These are rumors/reports from multiple stops for Duval.   The one thing I can say for certain, the athletes aren't passing the eye test when it comes to what I see on the field.   Mobility is not great, I see our line get pushed around a lot, so strength seems to be in question, and frankly we just don't look fast enough out there compared to our opponents so far.   All of these things are things I would put on his shoulders.  I think this is one area where we have been lacking since Bo's days and can definitely improve in.

  • Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, talaricohusker said:

I don’t quite understand the hate to Duval…. He’s from the Eply coaching tree and from what I’ve heard he’s using a ton of what Eply has done so I don’t understand the hate if everyone love what Eply has done 

IMO- and it should be taken with a grain of salt- guys are good at football first and then use strength to get better at it 

 

not vice versa 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

22 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

IMO- and it should be taken with a grain of salt- guys are good at football first and then use strength to get better at it 

 

not vice versa 

It's gotta be both when it comes to the linemen on either side of the ball, and you have to maintain agility and speed. I can be quick on my feet and 300 lbs, but if I'm only squatting 600lbs and the guy across from me is all of those things and squatting 800lbs, I'm going to get my butt whooped one-on-one.

 

 

19 minutes ago, Toe said:

Folks, when you give up over 600 yards to a team like Georgia Southern, it's not because of strength & conditioning issues...

Eh... some of it has to be, but you're right that coaching and scheme are a big part too.

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

It's gotta be both when it comes to the linemen on either side of the ball, and you have to maintain agility and speed. I can be quick on my feet and 300 lbs, but if I'm only squatting 600lbs and the guy across from me is all of those things and squatting 800lbs, I'm going to get my butt whooped one-on-one.

 But you’re not going to change a body type or football IQ in the weight room.  It’s a supporting piece when you have the right guys to begin with 

  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

It's gotta be both when it comes to the linemen on either side of the ball, and you have to maintain agility and speed. I can be quick on my feet and 300 lbs, but if I'm only squatting 600lbs and the guy across from me is all of those things and squatting 800lbs, I'm going to get my butt whooped one-on-one.

 

 

Eh... some of it has to be, but you're right that coaching and scheme are a big part too.

The only believable part of this is that you’re 300 Lbs and you’re going to get your butt whipped. :lol:

  • Haha 6
  • TBH 1
Link to comment

4 hours ago, sho said:

 

I've heard a lot of talk of Duval manipulating numbers to make testing seem better than it is, and over working players and causing health and injury concerns.  These are rumors/reports from multiple stops for Duval.   The one thing I can say for certain, the athletes aren't passing the eye test when it comes to what I see on the field.   Mobility is not great, I see our line get pushed around a lot, so strength seems to be in question, and frankly we just don't look fast enough out there compared to our opponents so far.   All of these things are things I would put on his shoulders.  I think this is one area where we have been lacking since Bo's days and can definitely improve in.

This.  Duval is still stuck in the 90’s when it comes to S&C and he isn’t even good with that.  
 

Dobson was actually a very good S&C guy but he was lazy.  He had his staff do most of the work.  
 

Mark Philipp was also a very good S&C coach but was hamstrung by Epley.  Epley didn’t like the Philipp got rid of all the equipment that he had “invented” and went with his own stuff. 
 

I will also add that Epley was lobbying for Duval when Riley was hired.  Riley went with his guy and that added to issues with the S&C. 

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

glad cheenander is gone the 3-4 defense needs elite level linebackers the 4-3 is more versatile and can generate a pass rush something the 3-4 never did the 4-3 is more suited to the personnel until they can recruit better ones.a good def coordinator hire will be imperitive if not required in 2023 

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 9/20/2022 at 5:45 PM, ZRod said:
On 9/20/2022 at 5:23 PM, krc1995 said:

 

It's gotta be both when it comes to the linemen on either side of the ball, and you have to maintain agility and speed. I can be quick on my feet and 300 lbs, but if I'm only squatting 600lbs and the guy across from me is all of those things and squatting 800lbs, I'm going to get my butt whooped one-on-one.

This is mostly true, however technique and leverage play a bigger role in who wins the individual matchup than what you are giving credit for.  Those two things can overcome a strength disadvantage.  

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
On 10/1/2022 at 12:21 AM, boneman said:

glad cheenander is gone the 3-4 defense needs elite level linebackers the 4-3 is more versatile and can generate a pass rush something the 3-4 never did the 4-3 is more suited to the personnel until they can recruit better ones.a good def coordinator hire will be imperitive if not required in 2023 

We still ran a multiple 3-4 with a ton of 4-3 fronts. Just like Chins did. The biggest difference last night was 

less cover 2 and more single high safety with man-to-man coverages. Plus, I think Bill had us blitzing quite a bit the first few series. We basically told the Indian QB from the get go that he had to be on time with the throw or he was going to be on his back or scrambling. It's amazing what making a QB uncomfortable early can do for you.

  • Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...