OT Brandon Baker [Texas - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

40 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Baker commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, it helps if they are from closer to Lincoln.

I think we waste a lot of time recruiting CA OL.  There are plenty in the midwest that we have a much better shot at getting.

Anyone care to guess the last high school OL recruit we got from CA?

6 minutes ago, skers83 said:

Benhart too. Culture? Coaching? Want to?  Both over rated?:dunno

Somewhere in those four choices is the answer.

My total guess is that it's mostly culture and coaching.  That, then greatly affects "want to".

Guys like this might have been a little overrated.  But, let's say he was rated .8900.  He still wouldn't be considered as living up to the rating.  I don't believe he would have been overrated that much.

Raiola has to change the culture of the O line.  And, without being in practice and in that room, none of us know really what the problem with the culture is.  Hopefully, he gets it done.  He's been places where the culture is completely different, like Wisconsin. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I think we waste a lot of time recruiting CA OL.  There are plenty in the midwest that we have a much better shot at getting.

Anyone care to guess the last high school OL recruit we got from CA?

I'm gonna guess Jacob Hickman Probably wrong though. Has to be someone after that.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Somewhere in those four choices is the answer.

My total guess is that it's mostly culture and coaching.  That, then greatly affects "want to".

Guys like this might have been a little overrated.  But, let's say he was rated .8900.  He still wouldn't be considered as living up to the rating.  I don't believe he would have been overrated that much.

Raiola has to change the culture of the O line.  And, without being in practice and in that room, none of us know really what the problem with the culture is.  Hopefully, he gets it done.  He's been places where the culture is completely different, like Wisconsin. 

Totally agree.

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Close enough.  Corey Whitaker

Our 3 most recent high school OL recruits from CA are:

2012 Corey Whitaker

2005 Jacob Hickman, Rodney Picou

Yeah...I typed it wrong the first time.

That's pretty bad.  I'm not sure I would say we "spend too much time" there.  We are recruiting Baker.  Don't think we are spending much time on anyone else and he's good enough to at least try.

I do agree, that I've always felt that linemen is a position we should be able to get the majority of from much closer to home.  Create the culture that Raiola needs.  Start having success.  Get the big beefy guys from the midwest that will really want to come be a part of that culture.  I'm fine then, every once in a while going after a kid like this that shows interest.

1 hour ago, Decked said:

You have to kick the tires here. Nebraska is recruiting tons of OL. Mater Dei is also a school where it would be nice for the coaches to leave a good impression. 

good point.  You never know he could talk to another player and be like "Oregon was my dream school, but you know what you should check out Nebraska because if it wasn't for Oregon I would go there".  Or coaches could spread the word as well.  

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Decked said:

You have to kick the tires here. Nebraska is recruiting tons of OL. Mater Dei is also a school where it would be nice for the coaches to leave a good impression. 

Mater Dei's new HC is a big Husker fan.  He has been their DC for a couple years but always wore a blackshirts hat while coaching.  It is definitely a school that we should hit hard. 

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • Mavric changed the title to OT Brandon Baker [Texas - Signed LOI]