Jump to content

Trev studying the USC playbook?


Recommended Posts

Last year USC was in not the same but a similar situation as us.  The coach they started the season with, Clay Helton, was on the hottest of seats. He was fired early in the season and replaced in the interim with the ace recruiter, high energy, relates to the players coach in Donte Williams. They finished a disappointing season but shocked the CFB world by hiring Lincoln Riley. Their recruiting and portal players went through the roof. Now they have made a huge comeback this season and are in the discussion of the elites of college football. That quickly it turned.  And by the way they retained Donte Williams on staff.  And not to mention they now are going to move to the B1G where they would be a clear favorite in the west.

 

We start this season with our coach on the hottest of seats. Ironically he loses to Helton in a game NU was a big favorite so he is fired literally like the same time of the season when USC dismissed Helton last year. Much like USC we turn to our ace recruiter, high energy, relates to the platers coach in Mickey Joseph to take over as interim. Much like Donte Williams, unless he wins more than expected it is unlikely he will get the head job next season but rather he is a stop gap and to keep players going throughout the season while we find our next big guy. USC went all in and is basically saying they are coming to wage war on the B1G.  What does Trev do?  Will he up the stakes and counter USC? He has to counter big or essentially know a team like USC is going to soundly thump us consistently in the near future. The stakes are high. Can NU football make a huge comeback quickly?  I think Urban is the only coach in this unique time that will allow us to go toe to toe with USC and other giants of the B1G. I don’t want to see USC and OSU dominating all the coverage where we are relegated to an afterthought. 
 

So here we are. It has come to this. I would hire Urban, try our best to keep Mickey on staff to signal we are here to compete. As the B1G changes we need to grab the mantle that we are here. The next decade would be epic. This is Trev’s biggest opportunity to get Nebraska football back on the map quickly, take coverage from other programs, bring in elite players, and actually win meaningful games. If we don’t do this I think we are mired forever in mediocrity and will never reach our goals again. 
 

So will Trev follow USC’s playbook? I hope he does as ironically it will be the  only way to compete with USC and others quickly in the new B1G.

 

 

  • Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
Link to comment

Urb would give us the boost we need. Set the damn fan base straight and release the curses. 
but  then he’d be gone in like 2-4 yrs. 
 

if we win during that tenure, I’d take it. But where would he leave us standing? His protege might be great or we’d be back where we started. Or, lastly would Urb stay on for 5-6 yrs and retire bringing us back to success and just figure it out from there?  I’m not against his hire at all, just wondering how long he would commit to us?

 

 Fuuuuuuck! Frost..why couldn’t you figure it out??  Limbo sucks. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
Link to comment

What if we pay Urbs 11 million a year and he comes here and fails spectacularly? This idea that Urban will just come here and flip us around is a very optimistic take imo. He could absolutely have success here, but its also a possibility that he doesn't. 

  • Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

What if we pay Urbs 11 million a year and he comes here and fails spectacularly? This idea that Urban will just come here and flip us around is a very optimistic take imo. He could absolutely have success here, but its also a possibility that he doesn't. 

This is what I have been wondering.  That would be very Nebraska to spend big and Urbs can't get it done, is washed up, doesn't actually care any more, yada yada yada.  

  • Plus1 4
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

This is what I have been wondering.  That would be very Nebraska to spend big and Urbs can't get it done, is washed up, doesn't actually care any more, yada yada yada.  

Just have a bad feeling about it. I know he is a great coach and has won at alot of places but to me this scenario seems more likely than playoffs in 3 years.

  • Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
Link to comment

18 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

What if we pay Urbs 11 million a year and he comes here and fails spectacularly? This idea that Urban will just come here and flip us around is a very optimistic take imo. He could absolutely have success here, but its also a possibility that he doesn't. 

 

You're telling me the thing that just happened might happen again?? I don't see it. Jacksonville is a losing program. We've got 5 national titles :B)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

This is what I have been wondering.  That would be very Nebraska to spend big and Urbs can't get it done, is washed up, doesn't actually care any more, yada yada yada.  

It appeared Frost didn't care any more also.  URB could fall flat on his face - recruiting to Neb is a lot different than recruiting to UF or OSU.  However, NIL has leveled the field somewhat.  Everyone was shocked when Lincoln Riley headed off to USC.  Perhaps there is another Lincoln - a great coach who is very successful but for some reason isn't satisfied where he is at.  If there is, most likely that coach would some how make connections wt TA and let him know his interest.  Regarding Urb: If Urb decides he wants the job- then I figure he has counted the cost and would know the challenges.  I do think he would have immediate draw both for recruits and top notch DC/OC.  One of those could be named associate head coach in case Urb gets a headache again:B).  So, I hope Trev finds the coach that will be a big positive surprise like Riley to USC was.  If it is Urb, then great, if it is someone else - I don't care - just get a quality guy in here - no more Mike Riley types, no more head 'coach in training" like Frost or Bo.  Get an established winner who has a plan and who executes it. 

Link to comment
14 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

It appeared Frost didn't care any more also.  URB could fall flat on his face - recruiting to Neb is a lot different than recruiting to UF or OSU.  However, NIL has leveled the field somewhat.  Everyone was shocked when Lincoln Riley headed off to USC.  Perhaps there is another Lincoln - a great coach who is very successful but for some reason isn't satisfied where he is at.  If there is, most likely that coach would some how make connections wt TA and let him know his interest.  Regarding Urb: If Urb decides he wants the job- then I figure he has counted the cost and would know the challenges.  I do think he would have immediate draw both for recruits and top notch DC/OC.  One of those could be named associate head coach in case Urb gets a headache again:B).  So, I hope Trev finds the coach that will be a big positive surprise like Riley to USC was.  If it is Urb, then great, if it is someone else - I don't care - just get a quality guy in here - no more Mike Riley types, no more head 'coach in training" like Frost or Bo.  Get an established winner who has a plan and who executes it. 

USC in LA is a lot different than NU in Lincoln Nebraska though.  A lot of recruits are already there, and LA is an alluring city to live in I am told, although you couldn't pay me to move there personally.  I think there are about 80 cities I would rather live in but I am no longer 18 years old just looking for warm weather and coeds on the beach. 

 

I remember an article about national champions and the schools proximity to states with the most recruits.  If I recall, Nebraska was almost the only one that did not border one of the top recruit states (Georgia, Ohio, Texas, California) and it was pretty much a miracle we were that good.  Steroids, TV and S&C were areas we had a huge competitive advantage in during those days and that is all gone now.  We have NIL, but so do many other schools and I don't buy that it is as big of an advantage as some like to propagate. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

I mean, I would love to see us turn it around that fast but obviously very different situations.

 

I am not in favor of Urban because he just seems like a scummy guy, but that certainly would be a splash hire and he would give us INSTANT credibility. I wouldnt be shocked if the Boosters were more than willing to pony up the big bucks to make it happen. 

 

I still think it is far more likely they go for the longer rebuild with a guy like Campbell.

 

I honestly have no idea what way they go. I doubt we can have the quick turnaround like USC just because USC had a ton of talent but with todays transfer portal.... Quick turnaround might not be that tough.

Link to comment

The USC playbook (also shared by LSU) is to go completely away from any rumored candidates and then steal a sitting coach from a traditional power.

 

I don't think we have the cache to do that because both LA and Baton Rouge are sitting in the middle of great recruiting areas.

 

With that said, it wouldn't shock me if we hear a name on Nov 27th that wasn't a rumored "top candidate" no one really thought had any serious interest leaving their current job for here.

  • Plus1 4
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Red Five said:

The USC playbook (also shared by LSU) is to go completely away from any rumored candidates and then steal a sitting coach from a traditional power.

 

I don't think we have the cache to do that because both LA and Baton Rouge are sitting in the middle of great recruiting areas.

 

With that said, it wouldn't shock me if we hear a name on Nov 27th that wasn't a rumored "top candidate" no one really thought had any serious interest leaving their current job for here.

 

Mike Gundy would fit this description. Plus he has no love for T. Boones Farms Pickens U and despite having Oklahoma State in the Top 25 consistently, doesn't get any love. 

 

I mean, sadly, Okie Lite has been more of a "traditional power" lately than traditional powers like...say...Nebraska or Texass. 

  • Plus1 3
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...