How long does Trev have with his hire?

Who gets to define settling?  I think BoB is a better option than many others on the rumor list. 

Honestly I agree,  TA only gets one shot to produce a coach that will improve the team.   I don't think anyone in husker nation expects championships right now.  6 or 7 wins by year 2 is a win.   If that isn't accomplished,  i agree with a rinse and repeat until we get it right.   That isn't exactly setting the bar high.

Trev's job security is not as dependent on *his* head football coach hire than people might immediately presume.

The previous Nebraska AD's whom were fired (Pederson, Eichorst) were fired for more reasons than their football hires. Pederson and Eichorst also both lost their jobs because of structural and philosophical changes they were making within the athletic department. Eichorst in particular was a ghost AD whom was quite unpopular within the administration.

That said, Trev's decision will be the single biggest one he makes, so there is certainly a lot of pressure to get it right.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

And how are you going to know if he settled if Urban just doesn’t want to coach the Huskers?

It doesn't have to necessarily be about Urban but if you target one guy which so many AD's have done in the past Frost, Urban and Bo what makes you think he doesn't just zero on to a coach like Matt Campbell. If sport writers made their point known that is their guy which they have, there is more exposure to Matt Campbell. If TA were to hire Matt Campbell to me that would mean that he settled for a area coach to get wins and not compete for National Championships yearly. Maybe Nebraska will never get a championship again but you have to try the people of Nebraska are tired of being the laughing stock.

1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

It doesn't have to necessarily be about Urban but if you target one guy which so many AD's have done in the past Frost, Urban and Bo what makes you think he doesn't just zero on to a coach like Matt Campbell. If sport writers made their point known that is their guy which they have, there is more exposure to Matt Campbell. If TA were to hire Matt Campbell to me that would mean that he settled for a area coach to get wins and not compete for National Championships yearly. Maybe Nebraska will never get a championship again but you have to try the people of Nebraska are tired of being the laughing stock.

And Im not saying Matt Campbell isnt a good coach, but imho bc of where the culture is at rn he isn't the best choice regardless if TA makes that decision for the University.

How long does Trev have?   I think he will get at least 2 years + for whatever football coach he hires, and I think there's a strong likelihood he will be hiring a new MBB coach soon as well.   He will need FB to hit and MBB to be better than what we have now.  If at the end of 2025 MBB season and there is no improvement from either sport, he's gone.

1 minute ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Many on this board and most that I've talked with in person want nothing to do with Meyer. I don't think there's a Scott Frost out there that's going to unite/satisfy 99% of the fan base. Prepare to be disappointed since odds are "your guy" isn't going to be the replacement. 

Like I said it doesn't necessarily have to be about Meyer just bc he is my top choice doesn't mean he would want to leave his job at fox. It doesn't change my opinion that you go ask winners what it takes to win here. Not bc they would have success here bc nothing is given but bc they know how to coach at a high level. If you don't even reach out to top guys to me then your not striving to be the best you can be.

21 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Trev's job security is not as dependent on *his* head football coach hire than people might immediately presume.

The previous Nebraska AD's whom were fired (Pederson, Eichorst) were fired for more reasons than their football hires. Pederson and Eichorst also both lost their jobs because of structural and philosophical changes they were making within the athletic department. Eichorst in particular was a ghost AD whom was quite unpopular within the administration.

That said, Trev's decision will be the single biggest one he makes, so there is certainly a lot of pressure to get it right.

So it’s just coincidence that every AD in the modern era has had only one football hire?   I’m thinking the lifespan of an AD is pretty short-but really super short if you have a suck a$$ football program.  I’m thinking that Trev’s tenure will be longer because how much worse can a FB program be?  It’s a good time to be him. 

• Fire 1
17 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

So it’s just coincidence that every AD in the modern era has had only one football hire?   I’m thinking the lifespan of an AD is pretty short-but really super short if you have a suck a$$ football program.  I’m thinking that Trev’s tenure will be longer because how much worse can a FB program be?  It’s a good time to be him. 

Nebraska is a football drivin school and that is what they have built there revenue on sorry ladies(volleyball).

Isn't it a little weird that we never talk basketball when discussing expectations on the AD?

NCAA Basketball and March Madness have become huge cash machines with considerably lower costs than operating a football team, and plenty of prestige for the colleges and universities. Nebraska's basketball history is one of the worst in all college basketball, with nowhere to go but up. 

Did we give up even trying because we put all our self-esteem into the football team? Then found it in the women's volleyball team?

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Isn't it a little weird that we never talk basketball when discussing expectations on the AD?

NCAA Basketball and March Madness have become huge cash machines with considerably lower costs than operating a football team, and plenty of prestige for the colleges and universities. Nebraska's basketball history is one of the worst in all college basketball, with nowhere to go but up. 

Did we give up even trying because we put all our self-esteem into the football team? Then found it in the women's volleyball team?

Yup 

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

The previous Nebraska AD's whom were fired (Pederson, Eichorst) were fired for more reasons than their football hires.

That may be, but Pederson's coaching change was particularly inept.  He fired a guy who did rather well, which may have turned off some coaches to start with.  He made the fatal misjudgement that top coaches would jump at the opportunity, and apparently hadn't sent out feelers to line up good prospects ahead of time.  Then time dragged on and he finally offered the unremarkable Houston Nutt, and got a very public and embarrassing rejection.  Weeks went by, recruits were decommiting, and he finally made a late, desperation hire in Calahan.  It was a disaster, and the start of the decline.  

3 hours ago, hskrpwr13 said:

It fascinates me the thought that an AD gets a one and only chance to hire the correct/perfect head football coach. 

While I disagree with how Trev handled Frost's firing and waiting a season too long to do so, I actually think Trev is well positioned for whoever he hires. The program is at rock bottom this season and anybody who can show up to work will likely turn the program around and get us back to a bowl game within a couple years.  Trev will get credit for any bit of momentum that comes about. We are not in 2014 where the fan base was expecting more than 9 wins a season.  We are at a point where going 6-6 or 7-5 will seem exciting.  And if the new coach turns it around but then stalls out at 7 wins a season, Trev could be trusted to hire another coach to improve the program further.