How long does Trev have with his hire?

2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

So it’s just coincidence that every AD in the modern era has had only one football hire?   I’m thinking the lifespan of an AD is pretty short-but really super short if you have a suck a$$ football program.  I’m thinking that Trev’s tenure will be longer because how much worse can a FB program be?  It’s a good time to be him. 

I mean yeah if Trev's hire sucks he will probably go before and/or not long after, but it's not always a slam dunk situation. There are some AD's who have managed to keep their jobs after their football hires fizzled out.

Fortunately for him, he just really needs to hire a guy who can consistently make a bowl game and it'll be considered a massive win.

13 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

No on the support or no on my way of thinking?? Sorry just want to clarify

This is the most important decision Trev makes in his lifetime imo.  He better get the very best he can. Money is no object. 

Many fans will be understanding if he hires a big name experienced HC and I feel both Trev and HC get 4-5 years to show results, like winning seasons at least.  But imo if Trev hires a HC from a low or mid tier program (e.g. Iowa State, K State, etc etc) and he fails to get to a bowl year 1, the howling will be deafening.  It will start by the spring game I’m afraid. 

Even Mickey would want to be very cautious to take the job as a former Husker.  Most fans want things to get MUCH better.  We are at or near the very bottom of FBS and there are 150 teams that could probably beat us right now.  
This team could get better but the schedule says wins are very unlikely.  

Mickey will have recruiting challenges this fall.  DONU is teetering on the edge of the abyss.  Imo this IS Nebraska’s LAST chance or football purgatory is the future for decades to come. 

After Frost, I’m afraid a big chunk of fan base aren’t eager for another experiment hire.   I was never a big Frost fan from the get go, like 95% of fans.  But I really succumbed to the fantasy notion that with Frost’s historic roots in Osborne and the run game foundation, his passing game concepts could be added and a truly new offense could be born.   I also never dreamed Frost would ignore the advice and counsel of all the football minds (former coaches, players, etc etc).  He had to get lots of ideas, suggestions, and so on to fix and enhance his offense and certainly the defense, STs and general game management.  His failures to build the lines is astoundingly bad.  All this didn’t happen overnight.  I’m convinced Frost didn’t listen to anybody.  

All that brings me back to Trev.  Trev is NOT making this monumental decision alone, but I expect he will bear the brunt of the blame for it if it fails.   Maybe not fair to him but it is the way it goes.  He gets a big paycheck.  

How long a leash for Trev and HC?  It’s directly tied, imo, to the length of the new coach’s winning resume and stature.  Hire a well known, long time, proven HC with P5 credentials and the rebuild project timeline gets lengthened.  Just a guess but the number of conf titles, 11 win seasons, etc will be a good indicator of HC ‘s duration to get results. 

Is this really going to be Trev's decision to make?  I wonder how much influence the boosters and regents will have?  Callahan was all Pud's decision.  I've always been a bit skeptical that Bo was all TO's decision.  Riley would have been all Eichorst.  Moos was hired just to lure and hire Frost.  If I'm in TA's shoes given his history as AD with football programs, I would want as many especially those with any power at all involved as possible.  If things don't work out, he then won't be the only one with egg all over his face.  

4 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Is this really going to be Trev's decision to make?  I wonder how much influence the boosters and regents will have?  Callahan was all Pud's decision.  I've always been a bit skeptical that Bo was all TO's decision.  Riley would have been all Eichorst.  Moos was hired just to lure and hire Frost.  If I'm in TA's shoes given his history as AD with football programs, I would want as many especially those with any power at all involved as possible.  If things don't work out, he then won't be the only one with egg all over his face.  

I don't think boosters and regents should have too much say, but I do think Ted Carter (U of Nebraska President) and Ronnie Green (UNL Chancellor) should be sounding boards for Trev and what he's thinking for the next head coach.  I am sure Trev had already spoken to Carter and Green about what attributes and experience they are looking for in the next head coach, and that will help narrow down candidates along the hiring process.

9 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Although Callahan was Puds hire, he wasn’t his first choice. Or 2nd, 3rd, ……

Osborne was brought in specifically for Bo. I don’t think there were other candidates. 

Was Eickhorst brought in just for Riley to fire Bo. Not sure 

Moos specifically for Frost. 

Alberts to fire Frost- it appears to me that the AD makes few decisions regarding football. And I think that started when Pud messed up the legacy. 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't think boosters and regents should have too much say, but I do think Ted Carter (U of Nebraska President) and Ronnie Green (UNL Chancellor) should be sounding boards for Trev and what he's thinking for the next head coach.  I am sure Trev had already spoken to Carter and Green about what attributes and experience they are looking for in the next head coach, and that will help narrow down candidates along the hiring process.

Why wouldn't boosters have much of a say?

.....you are aware of how Mel Tucker got bank at Michigan State I'd assume?

17 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Why wouldn't boosters have much of a say?

.....you are aware of how Mel Tucker got bank at Michigan State I'd assume?

Mel Tucker was given that fat raise after he had that successful 2021 season.  I am sure he was given a raise to go from CU to MSU, but how much did the boosters have to do with Tucker's hiring in the first place?

18 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Like I said it doesn't necessarily have to be about Meyer just bc he is my top choice doesn't mean he would want to leave his job at fox. It doesn't change my opinion that you go ask winners what it takes to win here. Not bc they would have success here bc nothing is given but bc they know how to coach at a high level. If you don't even reach out to top guys to me then your not striving to be the best you can be.

So how will you ever know if he reached out to a candidate?  It sounds like if he hires Campbell, you’re going to assume he ‘zeroed’ in on him and didn’t shop the job to others. 

• Plus1 3

12 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

So how will you ever know if he reached out to a candidate?  It sounds like if he hires Campbell, you’re going to assume he ‘zeroed’ in on him and didn’t shop the job to others. 

Well if he hires Campbell I'm thinking that he went with someone that bets fits his morals or knows the area more so then someone outside the general area. Matt Campbell is a good coach I just dont think he will ever bring us to the top or let alone keep us there. That's my opinion if you feel that he can cool beans. The Nebraska job has alot to offer just everyone dogs Nebraska bc they haven't won so just be so called happy with whoever Trev decides. Also do you honestly feel that the two borderline coaches aren't zeroed in bc of the media influence I do. Not once have I heard a name other then the three candidates that the media put out there while husker fans have put numerous other coaches out there. Not saying that any of the other names would come but it be nice to hear names other then Campbell, Leipold, or O'Brien.

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, basically, if he hires Campbell, in your eyes he should be fired soon.

Got it.

I didnt say that just dont feel like Matt Campbell gives Nebraska the best chance to succeed. You will see how long it takes to succeed or doesn't and so will I. I just don't see how Matt Campbell can or will get it turned around here just bc he has had some success at Iowa State.

• Haha 1

My guess is Alberts lays another egg like Eichorst did and we get somebody that's not even as good as Campbell.

I know the biology department at UNL has had that cryogenically frozen sample of Tom Osborne's sperm for years and has been working on its so-called Super Cyborg program...those guys just need to release that thing and then we've got our coach!