Any Preferred Names if Fred Hoiberg gets fired?

#14 TCU beat #2 Kansas tonight, 83-60.  At KU's Phog House gym.

Whatever the Huskers do or do not do, I don't know what will happen.  But we do need to bring in more talent, a better direction and a better HC. 

I don't think Hoiberg deserves extra years to keep trying.  Sure, he's a nice guy and had some success at ISU, and did some nice things here at times, but the Huskers are who we are and who we have been.  The league knows it too.  We tried with Hoiberg, it isn't working, time to be adults and move on.

Even if a miracle run occurs (do not hold your breath), I still do not think he's the right fit for Husker Basketball.  It's over. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, admo said:

#14 TCU beat #2 Kansas tonight, 83-60.  At KU's Phog House gym.

Whatever the Huskers do or do not do, I don't know what will happen.  But we do need to bring in more talent, a better direction and a better HC. 

I don't think Hoiberg deserves extra years to keep trying.  Sure, he's a nice guy and had some success at ISU, and did some nice things here at times, but the Huskers are who we are and who we have been.  The league knows it too.  We tried with Hoiberg, it isn't working, time to be adults and move on.

Even if a miracle run occurs (do not hold your breath), I still do not think he's the right fit for Husker Basketball.  It's over. 

Yeah when I think of Hoiberg I automatically think of our former football coach.  Its not that he doesn't get decent basketball players it's the fact that good basketball teams usually have guys in the particular coaches system for a long time.  Nebraska has lacked in recruiting and developing guys.  Injuries this year have really hurt us bc you see how much we lack behind the starters. 

• Haha 1

On 1/25/2023 at 9:38 AM, ECisGod said:

Not a bad choice, but I don't think Hoiberg is getting fired.  The team has shown progress this year & with all the injuries, I think he gets one more year.

Ok, but progress where?  And why one more year?  :dunno

W-L / Big Ten

7-25 ... 2-18

7-20 ... 3-16

10-22 ... 4-16

10-11 ... 3-7

Non-Conf is always super helpful for everyone, for beefing up your record before the conference.  And playing in the B1G, that's when you talk-turkey.  And put your money where your mouth is.  

I'm sorry, because I like Hoiberg too and thought he would turn this basketball program around.  But, it's not a basketball program.  It's just basketball.... and you lose a lot. 

If it was me I would look at this as a good try by the coach, and appreciate the efforts.... cut bait... and get the search firm to bring in someone new and fresh.  Because I want to have a basketball program, and not just basketball and popcorn.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, admo said:

Ok, but progress where?  And why one more year?  :dunno

W-L / Big Ten

7-25 ... 2-18

7-20 ... 3-16

10-22 ... 4-16

10-11 ... 3-7

Non-Conf is always super helpful for everyone, for beefing up your record before the conference.  And playing in the B1G, that's when you talk-turkey.  And put your money where your mouth is.  

I'm sorry, because I like Hoiberg too and thought he would turn this basketball program around.  But, it's not a basketball program.  It's just basketball.... and you lose a lot. 

If it was me I would look at this as a good try by the coach, and appreciate the efforts.... cut bait... and get the search firm to bring in someone new and fresh.  Because I want to have a basketball program, and not just basketball and popcorn.

Why, so we get another huge buy out, new coach and same results? Nebrasketball needs a culture, a name, and stability. The culture was starting to show defensively before injuries took their toll. Give Hoiberg a lifetime contract let him be our basketball equivalent to Ferentz, it's Nebrasketball, it's not a rebuild it is a complete construction process.

I think Nebraska BB could be better if locally there were better players, and twice as many.  Without even 3-4 a year as a basis to build from, it’s almost impossible, especially at a top tier conference level.  

I always felt to rise up to a top 50 Bb program, not just a one year wonder, we would to have a couple great, local players come thru and transform the program.  From that point, we might be able to go afar and recruit entire rosters. Sadly, never ever happened.  Any truly great players usually get recruited away.  These difference makers end up at the elite schools with long time traditional powers, etc.

We have teetered on the edge in having this happen in football last few years.  That is scary as hell.  Thankfully Rhule seems to be reversing this but we will have to see if he actually succeeds.  NIL and a supersized work effort appears to have recharged recruiting.   Can this be done in BB?   Do we have NIL $ enough from basketball boosters?  Idk but it seems not. Sell a good number of game tickets but I get the impression they’re more ‘basketball’ fans than Husker basketball fans.  Some come to see the play of any good teams, Husker or opponent..

• Haha 1

This is the first year Fred has had a team with a pulse. He made defense a strong point and had some success even in the Big Ten. Their best games may have been the overtime loss to Purdue and the win over Iowa. We can't seem to find even one three point shooter with consistency while other teams find 3 or 4. Without a large infusion of NIL money next year it could be a disaster. Sam G, D Walker, and Bandomel are gone and there is no one on the roster who is a solid D1 player beside Juwan Gary. Keita, Kojenets and Breidenbach all seem like projects and should be playing for Nebraska Kearney not Nebraska Lincoln. Tominaga and Wilcher have their nights but Keisei is a defensive liability most nights. With all the good high school players the state has produced the last 3 or 4 years not one has seriously considered the Huskers and I can't blame them. I wish I knew the answer. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

19 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Why, so we get another huge buy out, new coach and same results? Nebrasketball needs a culture, a name, and stability. The culture was starting to show defensively before injuries took their toll. Give Hoiberg a lifetime contract let him be our basketball equivalent to Ferentz, it's Nebrasketball, it's not a rebuild it is a complete construction process.

I get what you are saying.

I understand he is making progress each year, and this is his best season so far.  Still something left to be determined, but I think we will know fully by the end of the year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2023 at 6:18 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

Fred needs to stay - he’s about the best HC Neb will ever hire.  

Things have shaped up considerably compared to the schoolyard ball we were playing in previous years. The BIG is an exceptionally tough conference and I think Hoiberg and the assistants have done a good job of getting them to play like a team in all phases.

• TBH 1
  • 2 weeks later...