NU Identity: Do we need a Defense Minded or Offense Minded Coach?

TGHusker

Coaching Identity   

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes, the last thing we need is another coaching thread.  However, I didn't want to center on specific coaches (the Who) but 

rather the general coaching mindset (the How ) that we need at Nebraska.  Thus this very simple poll. 

Do you prefer a defensive minded coach - someone who has demonstrated an ability to develop a strong defensive identity  

Do you prefer an offensive minded coach - someone who has demonstrated an ability to develop a strong offensive identity.

Special teams falls into both camps - thus it is not a third option. (Did I just mention the Triple Option:o - don't get any ideas)

The cop out answer is of course:  "We want someone who is good at both!"  That would be a poor poll as it would be the obvious answer for 99.9% of us. 

At this time it appears we need a defensive coach.  But when we hired Frost, it appeared we need an offensive coach. That didn't pan out as we thought.

Our recent track record

Bill Calahan and Scott Frost were hired for offense

Bo was hired for defense

Mike Riley was hire for who in the h$%# knows why

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

My take.  To win in the Big 10 you got to play great defense.  I don't think there is any way around it.  Cold / rainy weather half of the season (until we play USC and UCLA in LA) makes this a requirement. The weather can shut down an offense.  I think this is the reason Bo was moderately successful in the BIG 10 - his defenses were usually competitive (unless we were playing Wisc or some other big time game on TV:facepalm: ).   We found this out with Frost. So much emphasis on the O side of the ball but our scoring average kept going down.  

One could say the best Defense is a ball control offense.  Keep the ball from the other team.  Something Frost wasn't good at - too many quick scoring drives or drives ending in turnovers.  So there can be an argument that a ball controlling offense identity might be the best fit for us.  

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Micheal said:

A lot of teams in this country can score points. Not as many can shut down another team. If you have a great defense, you will be in all games. 

This is true, but you don't necessarily need a defensive minded coach to have a great defense. You just need a coach who can recognize the importance and hire a good coordinator. This gets lost a little bit because their offensive style does help their defenses, but the two best defenses year in and year out in the Big Ten IMO are Iowa and Wisconsin - Ferentz and Chryst are both offensive guys.

I really do not care either way what the coaches background is or whether they call plays or not. You can find examples of coaches of each type working out or failing. If it was as simple as specific criteria - P5 coordinator who calls his own plays, G5/lower division coach with a track record of winning, etc - everyone would have a good coach. As long as it's not a totally out of left field hire like Riley, I'll give it a chance. And heck, I'd probably convince myself anyway even if it is clearly a questionable hire.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

At this point I’d settle for a coach with a mind. They say offense wins games and defense wins championships. Considering where we’ve been lately I think we need both but I don’t believe it matters which way he gravitates if he is actually HC material and has some top notch coordinators.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

I think at Nebraska more importantly than getting an offensive or defensive minded coach, Nebraska needs a developer at HC. A guy who takes classes ranked between 20-30 and develops them from there. That is how Nebraska is going to get back into the upper echelon of CFB again. Nebraska will always struggle to pull the same caliber players as the Ohio Sts, Michigans, and Oklahomas of the CFB world. BUT I think it can pull the same caliber athletes as Arkansas, Kentucky, and other schools that are in the top 15. If Nebraska gets a coach that can develop what some might consider a little lesser talent, you'll see the wins increase, and with the wins, the recruiting gets better.

But if I had to choose, I'd prefer a defensive minded coach.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

I think at Nebraska more importantly than getting an offensive or defensive minded coach, Nebraska needs a developer at HC. A guy who takes classes ranked between 20-30 and develops them from there. That is how Nebraska is going to get back into the upper echelon of CFB again. Nebraska will always struggle to pull the same caliber players as the Ohio Sts, Michigans, and Oklahomas of the CFB world. BUT I think it can pull the same caliber athletes as Arkansas, Kentucky, and other schools that are in the top 15. If Nebraska gets a coach that can develop what some might consider a little lesser talent, you'll see the wins increase, and with the wins, the recruiting gets better.

But if I had to choose, I'd prefer a defensive minded coach.

Good points. The development has been sorely missed for close to 10 years. That supposedly is one of Campbell’s strengths. We’ll see if Trev goes that way. But if I had to choose I have to pick a defensive minded coach

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, M.A. said:

I'm the lone oddball. I prefer an offensive minded head coach with a great defensive coordinator. It doesn't matter much though as long as they get to WINNING. 

Im with you on this. In general, I've felt that offense minded coach has a better feel for the overall team "identity" and game management (despite Frost). I feel so much more can go wrong with the offense, where as if there is a solid D strategy it can somewhat auto-pilot, in comparison to offenses. 

Offense. 

the game has switched. The rules, refeeere’s and tv want scoring. We need to score 28-35 to be in games. Just in them.

spread offenses and the toughness it takes to win games favors offenses.  So I want a coach who values tough azz mfers nasty on the oline who can win games by scoring. 

coupled w a guy who can get stops when necessary with a super aggressive, attacking defense. Come what may, bring the heat. Sick of not pressuring other teams. 

I want a tough a$$ coach who wins or loses by using all the new rules scoring and an aggressive mean defense 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1