NU Identity: Do we need a Defense Minded or Offense Minded Coach?

TGHusker

Coaching Identity   

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I really don't envy Trev and the decision he has to make about a head coach. The qualities I want in a coach is someone who can oversee everything and makes corrections before they become huge problems. He has to understand the correlation between offense and defense. Can't have an offense that is quick strike or one that is so vanilla it goes three and out against any defense with a pulse. It should also be able to use most of the players we currently have otherwise it will be three years before our current players get flushed out......maybe thats not a bad idea. And Trev....please don't hire a coach who loves the golf simulator!

• Fire 1

I want an aggressive, attacking defense like we saw with OU.  They have that with a defensive minded coach.  However, you can get that by having a great DC.  I believe a great DC with a good offensive minded coach can be a great combination.  The offensive minded coach can help the great DC by feeding him information on how his defense can be beat.  

This is what I don't understand about our defense.  I think we have/had good offensive minded coaches on the team between Frost, Whipple and Joseph..etc.  Couldn't they tell Chins his defense is easy to beat and why so Chins could fix it?  They know what defense is the easiest to go against and what is the hardest.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I want an aggressive, attacking defense like we saw with OU.  They have that with a defensive minded coach.  However, you can get that by having a great DC.  I believe a great DC with a good offensive minded coach can be a great combination.  The offensive minded coach can help the great DC by feeding him information on how his defense can be beat.  

This is what I don't understand about our defense.  I think we have/had good offensive minded coaches on the team between Frost, Whipple and Joseph..etc.  Couldn't they tell Chins his defense is easy to beat and why so Chins could fix it?  They know what defense is the easiest to go against and what is the hardest.  

The only reason I would say defensive minded coach is because then I think you don't get decisions being made like not tackling during practice.  An offensive minded person (frost) made that decision to protect his offensive players.  I think it hurt the defense tremendously and now has shed light on why we had so many guys who seemed like they couldn't break a tackle to save their lives on offense.  old saying still holds true "defense wins championships, Offense sells tickets"

5 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

The only reason I would say defensive minded coach is because then I think you don't get decisions being made like not tackling during practice.  An offensive minded person (frost) made that decision to protect his offensive players.  I think it hurt the defense tremendously and now has shed light on why we had so many guys who seemed like they couldn't break a tackle to save their lives on offense.  old saying still holds true "defense wins championships, Offense sells tickets"

Here's what I don't get about that.  You have 22 offensive players on the 2 deep.  You have something like 160 players on the roster.  Let's say half of them are offensive, so 80.  That means, you have 58 offensive players that are not on the two deep that can be tackled in practice.  

I'm all for decreasing the walkon program by A LOT if we aren't going to use them in practice for the other side of the ball.  And...OK, let's say you're thin at RB...OK, don't tackle the top two in practice.  But, you probably have 4-5 more on the team that you can tackle.  

That shouldn't take a defensive minded coach to figure that out.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TonyStalloni said:

I really don't envy Trev and the decision he has to make about a head coach. The qualities I want in a coach is someone who can oversee everything and makes corrections before they become huge problems. He has to understand the correlation between offense and defense. Can't have an offense that is quick strike or one that is so vanilla it goes three and out against any defense with a pulse. It should also be able to use most of the players we currently have otherwise it will be three years before our current players get flushed out......maybe thats not a bad idea. And Trev....please don't hire a coach who loves the golf simulator!

It’s a full-time occupation where success is gained through sacrifices. Fun and games aren’t nowhere near a priority. Golf, boozing and other distractions that take away from the objective of winning. You’ve got to make the most out of the time you have and capitalize on every opportunity. 

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't care if it's an offensive or defensive-minded coach, but I would prefer if the next coach took a CEO-role and wasn't calling offensive or defensive plays during the game.

I think that is what they are going to get...

And really it makes sense now, considering NU will probably have 10-20 "analyst" coaches, the HC doesn't need to be showing guys how to get in a stance...I know Saban does it with the DB's, when the camera is on...

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Good post.  I can see the benefits of hiring a defensive wizard as DC to support someone who knows how to score points and understands and takes advantages of what the D gives them.  Maybe our new coach can steal the DC from Wisc!!

12 hours ago, M.A. said:

I'm the lone oddball. I prefer an offensive minded head coach with a great defensive coordinator. It doesn't matter much though as long as they get to WINNING. 

I feel this can go both ways. Offensive minded coach NEEDS to have a strong DC and a defensive minded coach NEEDS a strong OC. The past hires have completely dropped the ball and brought clowns in to be coordinators. I just want a HC that will bring in strong coordinators that can control the game. What a novel idea, but damn, it has been a long time since we have had a staff like that!

• Fire 1