Sooooo...what happened to the Deion Sanders thread?

1 minute ago, Husker03 said:

Looks like it was merged into the who is next HC thread. Which is silly imo. It is not like 162 page  threads are soooo much more streamlined then a new topic here or there. But alas, not my board I guess.

Ah, gotcha. I'm a newb and still figuring things out around here. My bad.

Yeah, all coaching change discussions in one thread for pretty much the only thing we'll have to talk about for the next 2+ months seems like a lot. I'm all for not starting a new thread for every random thought. But I think each (legitimate) candidate could at least have their own thread. But, yeah not my call either.

1 hour ago, Husker03 said:

Looks like it was merged into the who is next HC thread. Which is silly imo. It is not like 162 page  threads are soooo much more streamlined then a new topic here or there. But alas, not my board I guess.

We've got to beat the old Frost Thread somehow.

• Oh Yeah! 3

7 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Yeah, all coaching change discussions in one thread for pretty much the only thing we'll have to talk about for the next 2+ months seems like a lot. I'm all for not starting a new thread for every random thought. But I think each (legitimate) candidate could at least have their own thread. But, yeah not my call either.

Allow me to peel back the layers of the onion for a moment. :D

Generally speaking, when coaching searches have happened in the past, we've tried to keep the "candidate" discussions in one thread because there are so many rumors and options flying around that it can quickly get out of control. One thread per candidate is overkill when there are 20+ names being thrown around. We only keep 40 threads on page one of the football sub forum; that may seem like a lot, but we already have threads less than 10 days old that are now on page two. Most threads that fall to page two are never read again, so consolidation helps keep a wider range of topics "alive," so to speak. Once something falls to page two, statistically speaking, it is rarely posted in again.

Obviously, the downside to this strategy is there can be a lot of competing conversations happening within one thread, but I have generally found it is still better for overall board engagement and efficiency.

There aren't a lot of hard and fast rules with thread consolidation. It's entirely up to moderator discretion. But, the above mentioned strategy is generally how I personally approach these situations. I also don't really mind if people post a new thread that should probably go in an existing one because it only takes us about 10 seconds to merge them. It only becomes a problem when it's the same person doing it over and over again.

• Thanks 7
  • TBH 1