TCU HC Sonny Dykes

An old friend of mine is somewhat involved in the athletic department and has passed along this info. Coach Sonny Dykes of TCU is a name that is being discussed. They believe that he is a strong offensive mind, relatively young, and has demonstrated an ability to greatly improve a program quickly. The coaching search is ongoing so they are continuing to monitor how he does in Fort Worth but early signs are good. The previous information is from my friend, the following is just speculation so take it with a grain of salt. My friend gave me the impression that he's anticipating other programs to go after him too if he continues to win games with that roster but thinks we would win that negotiation. Fort what it's worth, his real allegiance is to Texas Tech but he turned that job down once before. He wants to win a national title and I don't think it can be done at TCU. Also, it's an open secret that he's expressed discontent with the BIG 12 for letting in less prestigious programs so he would probably appreciate the B1G's commitment to remaining as competitive as possible.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, huskerfan1988 said:

An old friend of mine is somewhat involved in the athletic department and has passed along this info. Coach Sonny Dykes of TCU is a name that is being discussed. They believe that he is a strong offensive mind, relatively young, and has demonstrated an ability to greatly improve a program quickly. The coaching search is ongoing so they are continuing to monitor how he does in Fort Worth but early signs are good. The previous information is from my friend, the following is just speculation so take it with a grain of salt. My friend gave me the impression that he's anticipating other programs to go after him too if he continues to win games with that roster but thinks we would win that negotiation. Fort what it's worth, his real allegiance is to Texas Tech but he turned that job down once before. He wants to win a national title and I don't think it can be done at TCU. Also, it's an open secret that he's expressed discontent with the BIG 12 for letting in less prestigious programs so he would probably appreciate the B1G's commitment to remaining as competitive as possible.  

You came here just to post this Sonny?

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I don't have a big update but just wanted to circle back to this after what transpired over the weekend. Obviously the coaching search is ongoing, and they haven't zeroed in on one candidate (from what I've heard at least), but Dykes is turning heads. He is clearly not afraid to swing and punch bigger, better, and more skilled teams in the mouth since he's done it everywhere he's gone. To me, that means he wouldn't be afraid to go into The Big House, Horseshoe, Happy Valley, etc which fires me up. Furthermore, his continuity of success is impressive which, in my opinion, is where we got into trouble with Frost. No doubt Frost had an unbelievable year at UCF but that's all it was. One year at one program. We had no way of knowing if it was him or his coordinators propping him up. After seeing Heupel's success at Tennessee, it feels like the latter. I thought the same thing about Harbaugh at Michigan until last year. Before Michigan, his defense was the reason for his success, but that unit was coached by Vic Fangio, one of the greatest defensive minds ever. At both SMU and TCU, Dykes has turned the team around quickly, beat bigger opponents, and maintained an explosive offense despite not having the same OC the entire time. That continuity impresses me. I hope you all give Dykes some serious thought because I think it would be a great hire for us. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I've been impressed by what Dykes has done thus far. I live in Tulsa and we've watched Tulsa play SMU's high power offense.  However, he just recently started coaching at a P5 school.   I hope we find someone more experienced at our level. 

I remember this game as noted in Wiki: 

In 2019, the SMU season began with six consecutive victories under Dykes. The 6-0 start was capped by a televised night game in Dallas in which the Mustangs defeated Tulsa in a historic comeback victory in 3OT. The team finished with a 10-2 record and an invitation to the Boca Raton Bowl.

• Fire 1

14 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The tough sell to Dykes would be to get him out of Texas.  Not saying he wouldn't do well at Nebraska, but his most success has been within the state of Texas, and he's very comfortable there.

He's got a good thing going at TCU and after his experience at Cal I think he well knows it. I don't see him leaving the Texas/Louisiana region again. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Agent has a lackluster client in need of a boost.

Agent has their (unpaid) interns post anonymously on message boards and the twitter saying his client would be a good fit for job X.

Agent gets a blogger to blog some bloggy stuff about how people are talking about coach Y for job X.

Local and national beat writers, who are contractually obligated to produce a Top 5/7/10 list of targets for each job opening, cite the blogger citing the interns.  

Now that the agent has attention for his client as a Candidate, he can negotiate a higher salary at their current stop or at whatever new school ends up desperate enough to hire him. 

It's a seamless, bulletproof method of promotion. 

Oh my god you're actually right, two comments in his history

24 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Agent has a lackluster client in need of a boost.

Agent has their (unpaid) interns post anonymously on message boards and the twitter saying his client would be a good fit for job X.

Agent gets a blogger to blog some bloggy stuff about how people are talking about coach Y for job X.

Local and national beat writers, who are contractually obligated to produce a Top 5/7/10 list of targets for each job opening, cite the blogger citing the interns.  

Now that the agent has attention for his client as a Candidate, he can negotiate a higher salary at their current stop or at whatever new school ends up desperate enough to hire him. 

It's a seamless, bulletproof method of promotion. 

Are you accusing @Decked of being an intern at Kansas?! :lol:

• Fire 1
On 10/3/2022 at 10:07 AM, huskerfan1988 said:

Hey guys, I don't have a big update but just wanted to circle back to this after what transpired over the weekend. Obviously the coaching search is ongoing, and they haven't zeroed in on one candidate (from what I've heard at least), but Dykes is turning heads. He is clearly not afraid to swing and punch bigger, better, and more skilled teams in the mouth since he's done it everywhere he's gone. To me, that means he wouldn't be afraid to go into The Big House, Horseshoe, Happy Valley, etc which fires me up. Furthermore, his continuity of success is impressive which, in my opinion, is where we got into trouble with Frost. No doubt Frost had an unbelievable year at UCF but that's all it was. One year at one program. We had no way of knowing if it was him or his coordinators propping him up. After seeing Heupel's success at Tennessee, it feels like the latter. I thought the same thing about Harbaugh at Michigan until last year. Before Michigan, his defense was the reason for his success, but that unit was coached by Vic Fangio, one of the greatest defensive minds ever. At both SMU and TCU, Dykes has turned the team around quickly, beat bigger opponents, and maintained an explosive offense despite not having the same OC the entire time. That continuity impresses me. I hope you all give Dykes some serious thought because I think it would be a great hire for us. 

It's a 2 man race between Campbell & Leipold

• Haha 4
5 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

No its not!!!! It could be anyone at this point and you fail to include MJ. Yes he has won only one game but if there is any indication on how the team is going to play you know your getting passion and playing with a pulse with the team. With SF you really never saw that.

It is. Micky isn't even being considered for the job 

• Haha 4